Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Fell Out Of The Sky

I'd say, just fly without any worries. If something happens.happens. Impossible to predict.

It's like "i won't go out anymore because i could die of a car accident or slip down the stairs...."

Reactions: Ratmir and Thanev
It happened to me also just 3 weeks ago while I was in NZ. Battery was at 15% when I did RTH. By the time the drone was hovering 30m above the launch area, the battery was at 10%. Then it just fell from 30m onto the launch area which was thankfully soft grassland.

Both front and rear left legs were broken, no damage to camera or the motherboard. I had bought a spare kit and repaired it myself. I then tested the drone and the same battery while hovering it at 1 feet above the ground and placed a soft mat underneath it. Guess what, after hovering until the battery was at 10%, the drone fell on the mat again! Luckily the mat absorbed the impact and nothing was damaged. I checked the drone, the battery was completely turned off. I turned it on again, and the battery level was still at 10%. Everything registered perfectly with the FreeFlight 6 app reporting no crash whatsoever as if it never happened.

Presuming that this had something to do with the battery. I drained the battery from 10% by letting the drone turn on without taking off. Finally after the battery reached 1%. It turned off by itself. I then charged it again to 20% and repeated the 1 ft hovering test. This time, the anafi hovered until the battery level dropped exactly to 1% before auto-landing on the mat.

My conclusions about this is that:
1. The battery can have discharge or recharge issues or maybe the temperature at NZ (4C during the night, but I was flying in the day at 10C) might have triggered a fault in the way it calculates the amount of charge left.
2. I have only had the battery for about a year so it can't be due to the age, can it?
3. Best is to fly the drone until the battery is no less than 20%. You never know when this issue can happen again!
4. Regularly check for battery issues by using the 1 ft hover test. Place a soft mat on the ground and put the launch pad on top of it. Take off the anafi and lower it until it is just about 1 ft above the launch pad. If there is a battery issue, the battery will just turn itself off at any level above 1% and the anafi will fall gently on the launch pad without damage. Motors and video will cut off and the anafi does not register this as a crash.
5. To fix the battery issue, turn on the drone again and let it stay on without taking off. Wait for it to turn off by itself which means the battery has reached 1%. Charge the battery to about 20% and do the same 1 ft hover test again. Check that it will hover until the battery reaches 1% with auto-landing kicking in after that.

EDIT: I checked the battery after a full charge and testing the 1 ft hover, problem seems to be back, anafi dropped at 10%. Is the battery permanently spoiled? Don't know. I tried the 1ft hover test with a spare battery and it was ok even after a full charge going all the way to 1%.
So it seems that discharging the spoilt battery to 1% and then recharging to 20% allows the battery to work all the way to 1% but if it is recharged to full, it breaks at 10% again. Think I will just mark this battery as spoilt and use it cautiously so it doesn't go below 20%.

Happy flying guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrajic
I had exactly the same with a DJI Spark.
I flew for 5-6 minutes, went up 100m and floated a little there, but when I started to descend, the connection was lost and the plane fell from 90m (survived without scratching).
In my opinion, the clamping of the battery may have loosened (this is a bad design at Spark) and the power supply has been lost. This was indicated by the last video recording was defective (not completed) which I managed to fix and check with a software.
After the fall, he needed a calibration and has been working fine ever since, just using a plastic battery fixer.
I think the battery fixing may be wrong because it happened to me during the descent. When descending, the motors work hard and cause the drones to start rocking, shaking and loosening the battery.

Last edited:
Where can I find the docs with these steps?
Take battery in hand ,press and hold power button for 12-15 seconds,you will see red lights flicker for 1 second,thats battery reset....install battery in drone,start drone by pressing power button once,wait 1 minute,press and hold power button for a 12-15 seconds,anafi will shut down and then restart,thats a soft reset i believe....hard reset:start anafi,in freeflight 6 hit drone icone located in upper part of screen next to controller icone,in next screen you will see map ,software and hardware info,scroll down past all that and you will see Reset button,hit it....you will be prompt to calibrate anafi,camera and controller after that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut