Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi or Mavic Pro Platinum

Riddler

Reaction score
I have been reading about the Anafi and see many instances where it had to be returned because of falling from the sky. I like the fact that it is quiet and has zoom, and good quality video, but I am concerned about its reliability. Can you help me decide if Mavic Pro platinum would be better. I want high quality photos and videos and non obtrusive to fly and good range. If anyone has both, can you help me decide.

I have been reading about the Anafi and see many instances where it had to be returned because of falling from the sky. I like the fact that it is quiet and has zoom, and good quality video, but I am concerned about its reliability. Can you help me decide if Mavic Pro platinum would be better. I want high quality photos and videos and non obtrusive to fly and good range. If anyone has both, can you help me decide.

Every drone can be faulty and drop without any apparent reason. They a re both high range drone but I chosen Anafi because of these pros:

1_batteries can be charged with a simple usb powerbank
2_much more lighter than the mavic (but less stable when wind is kicking)
3_quieter than mavic
4_ really easy FCC mode with FF6 modded
5_ 3x zoom

My only complaints about the Anafi are, the SkyController 3 which is not so confortable on medium-large hands, and the camera which is not much bright when the sunlight is going low.

Pick what you prefer, is a win in both case.

Last edited:
For every post you read here about the Anafi's problems there are probably a hundred of us that have never had a problem or have never posted here because they are too busy flying. I bought mine as a refurb and have had no issues for 65+ flights. The one over-riding reason I went with the Anafi is how quiet and unobtrusive it is.

Yes, it is more delicate, and no, it does not have obstacle avoidance, but I spent time (a lot of time) learning to fly accurately in places with lots of obstacles and so far have had only one crash when it was behind me following the motorcycle and I could not see that it was too low. It crashed in a bush with no damage. (THAT was pure luck!)

Thanks for the replies.I get the impression that the quietness of the drone is an overriding factor. The mavic platinum is supposed to be quieter than most other mavics or other drones, but I don't know how close it is or farther apart is the noise level in dB compared to the Parrot. The restrictiveness of the Mavic with its geofencing and usage capturing is putting me off of the Mavic Pro, but then again I can see that it helps with safety. I haven't been able to find any data or surveys of reliability of the drones, that would help me to decide, based on real data. I feel somewhat reassured though by the comments so far.

I have both the Anafi and Mavic 2 zoom. They are both great and they both have problems, You need to chose what you think will work best for what you want to do, I have great videos of a RedTail hawk family that has beem living by us I was able to fly within a few feet of her in tree top nest and get great shots , In my opinion the Mavic is to big to get in like that because of all the stupid sensors it has on it. As Rocky noted learn to fly. I would think the Mavuc Air is a closer match to the Anafi. The full Mavic has a 19x19 rotor span the Anafi is only 10x10.

The Mavic has also some better points as the Anafi
More Stable (chassis) , more Sensors, better possibility to buy spareparts

But an urgent point is: the Anafi can start everywhere. A DJI not (forbidden from the App / DJI)

Reactions: Riddler
I concur on everything but sensors I find them more of a problem then a solution when flying close to something. I prefer flying manually. and stll chose the Anafi because of size it is 1/4 the size of the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 camera is better then Anafi and stability is great.

I have both. Definitely Anafi over a Pro Platinum. People don't usually post on this site (or elsewhere) if everything is working just fine. So keep that in mind.

Not that I would recommend any of the following, but I really thrashed on an Anafi last summer and early fall. I flew it in winds way beyond what it is spec'd for. I flew it in rain, snow, and even sleet (that last one didn't end well). I crashed it into trees and bushes (admittedly no big crashes). I carelessly jammed it into back packs, tossed it into the back of trucks, and just generally mishandled it. The Anafi did just fine. The most I ever had to do was swap out the props.

I stopped using the Anafi because it didn't have a histogram to help with exposure, but they've added that now... so I'm back. Don't get me wrong, I still fly DJI drones and LOVE them (sorry guys), but compared to a Platinum Pro... no way. Definitely go with the Anafi.

What I really like about the Anafi is that you can do all the horrible stuff I described above, and still hand launch it out of a truck window because you're just to **** lazy to get out. Compared to ALL the DJI drones, including the Mavics, there are a lot less little pieces and parts to fool with and fumble during set up. Some people complain about the controller being bulky and cheap looking, but personally I love it. I find the Mavic controllers to be uncomfortable and a hassle to set up. Also, the Anafi is setup with default settings that are really dialed in. Any DJI drone takes a lot of work to tune just right for nice smooth flying. And its quiet.

I own both and loved them equally, until flight 106 with the Anafi i was 150 feet in the air and it came crashing down to earth, It was only 40 seconds into the flight so it was very visible, I believe it threw a prop. Hopefully Parrot makes it right. But anyways if range is very important to you buy the Mavic Pro Platinum, Occusync is amazing

I've had two brand new Anafi's with different faults out of the box. In terms of ease of use and quietness, I would have recommended the Anafi if I could get one that worked consistently. As I haven't been able to I'd have to recommend the Mavic Pro Platinum out of the two.

I find the Anafi very robust in bad conditions like high wind large temperature ranges and snow and rain. Never have problems with that. On number 5 in 13 months 3 failed with camera and gimbal issues and one I crashed and broke down for parts. I have a DJI Mavic 2 and a Inspire 1 and must say I would put the Anafi first Inspire second and the Mavic 2 last. Way to much unneeded junk on it overly complicated.

Reactions: Ratmir
I have an Anafi, M1 and M2 depends on your need they're different machines. Image quality is similar but I prefer Anafi with look up capabilities and no props in shot.

I find Anafi flies longer but the Mavic's fly long enough. For sound, portability and charging Anafi wins.

Occusynch gives better range and obstacle avoidance some peace of mind of which I need neither.

What's important to me is autonomous flight where Anafi excels. Anafi's Follow me and Flight Plan is way ahead of anything DJI and I find Active Track dangerous.

I'd take two Anafi's or one Anafi and pocket the difference anyday over a MPP.

Reactions: Ratmir and Riddler
I find the Anafi very robust in bad conditions like high wind large temperature ranges and snow and rain. Never have problems with that. On number 5 in 13 months 3 failed with camera and gimbal issues and one I crashed and broke down for parts. I have a DJI Mavic 2 and a Inspire 1 and must say I would put the Anafi first Inspire second and the Mavic 2 last. Way to much unneeded junk on it overly complicated.
The Anafi must be so good that you kept with it after the 3 bad experience. And in terms of reliability, where would you put the Anafi relative to the others mentioned?

Remember 3 failures are gimbal/camera related this is what they need to get on top of. It is still the drone I use the most: One failure was my fault

Con
-Poor QC on camera and gimbal
-Poor parts availability
-Service was poor however is getting much better now that they have the group in Canada rebuilding
-Changing SD card is a tricky issue however I only change if I need more space I use USB transfer
-Not the strongest design however very light

Pro
-No stupid sensors (learn to fly)
-Very compact and quiet (no way I could have flown with 5 ft of hawk nest in top of tree with DJI)
-Great general purpose camera
-Excellent app
-Excellent photo and film features in app
-great battery life
-easy to fly
-complete control of flying environment with geometry fencing
-great autonomous flight with Flight Plan

I fairness to DJI if you are using your drone to follow you through obstacles at a low speed the DJI with Atrac is a obvious choice at that time the sensors are useful

My inspire is my second choice harder to fly however I use multiple cameras on it at same time with my custom mounting system and has great payload capabilities. Very $$$$ to fix if it crashes

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratmir and Riddler
I decided to wait until Parrot releases 2nd version of Anafi. Won't get the Mavic, just waiting for the Anafi. Unless Mavic produces quiet drone and give control over the NFZs.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmbrody
Stupid question here for some but here goes, is autonomous flight exactly that or does it still need to be connected to phone and controller?
What I'm asking is if I build a flight plan and send the Anafi off will it complete that flight on it's own or does it need to still be in range of the phone / controller?
Thanks in advance...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame