Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can't update Drone (only controller)

AnafiUser28

Reaction score
HI there,

I'm not able to update my anafi from 0.8.4 beta6 to 1.4.0
The combination mobile + controller doesn't establish any connection.
The mobile /freeflight6 app alone can do so over wlan. But as soon as I switch to wlan drone connection, i have to terminate my wlan-internet connection. So how am I supposed to update over wlan without a second wlan connection to the internet

How the heck did you end up with Anafi with "0.8.4 Beta 6", thats way way old? Be interested to know if you just purchased it with that, or have you been storing from the early days.

How the heck did you end up with Anafi with "0.8.4 Beta 6", thats way way old? Be interested to know if you just purchased it with that, or have you been storing from the early days.
Bought the drone that was declared "new" on ebay from one of the biggest electronic store chains ("Saturn")in europe. They were 50€ cheaper than usual. I guess I now know why.

Dont think I have ever seen anything that low. Might be worth a call to Parrot in the first place to see if they can help.

HI there,

The mobile /freeflight6 app alone can do so over wlan. But as soon as I switch to wlan drone connection, i have to terminate my wlan-internet connection. So how am I supposed to update over wlan without a second wlan connection to the internet

So, you have never had a connection using the controller? Have you ever flown the drone? Does the mobile at least make some acknowledgment that it is plugged in besides the "charging indication"?
There should be a dialog that pops up when you plug the mobile into the controller that will ask if you want to use the Free flight app when connecting this device so it will then launch the app when the phone is plugged into it.
As I mentioned in a reply to your other post, make sure that the mobile is set to use data transfer over USB...You might have to enable "USB debugging" in the "developer mode" settings

So, you have never had a connection using the controller? Have you ever flown the drone? Does the mobile at least make some acknowledgment that it is plugged in besides the "charging indication"?
There should be a dialog that pops up when you plug the mobile into the controller that will ask if you want to use the Free flight app when connecting this device so it will then launch the app when the phone is plugged into it.
As I mentioned in a reply to your other post, make sure that the mobile is set to use data transfer over USB...You might have to enable "USB debugging" in the "developer mode" settings
I bought the drone yesterday never flew it.
The app opens when the usb cable is connected to the controller. The controller could update, but the connection to the drone doesn't establish. But I have to admit, that my Huawei P10 Lite switches from data transfer to usb charging automatically every time I try to select usb data transfer. Don't konw if part of the problem lays there.

I bought the drone yesterday never flew it.
The app opens when the usb cable is connected to the controller. The controller could update, but the connection to the drone doesn't establish. But I have to admit, that my Huawei P10 Lite switches from data transfer to usb charging automatically every time I try to select usb data transfer. Don't konw if part of the problem lays there.
OK so the controller and the mobile phone ARE connecting and communicating it seems...That kind of runs out the cable/USB...What is shown on the app screen? does it show the controller icon and a blanked out or red icon for the drone? can you select "fly" on the bottom right? It won't show anything except as far as a camera feed but that will verify the app,etc is working and the drone is the only thing disconnected..At this point just concentrate on getting the controller to find/connect to the drone...NVM any WIFI connection because the Anafi itself does not need any internet connection to work with the controller.
You only need an internet connection when downloading maps or the updates.
the controller SHOULD have been "paired" to the drone from the factory but because of your "early beta" firmware it might have been separated or switched. There is a "reset" procedure for the drone ( hold the power button for 10 seconds or something) maybe try that?
There is also a reset selection in the remotes submenu."When you open up FF6 at the top you will see two icons. One is the Anafi and the other is the remote. Click on the remote and it will bring you to a new page where it lets you reset"

When you open the app and click on the "remote" icon on the top of the main screen there should be a picture of the remote and a "connect" button...If it does not connect to the drone, you might have to enter in the id from the tag in the case (like you do if just connecting to the drone without the controller)

Here is the hard reset procedure for ANAFI.
  1. Power ANAFI on.
  2. Press the power button and keep it pressed: after approximately 8 seconds, the battery's LEDs turn on red, one after the other.
  3. When the 4 LEDs are red, release the power button.
  4. ANAFI reboots - a TXT file has been generated on ANAFI's microSD card, which contains ANAFI's Wi-Fi network's password; that's how you can check the hard reset has been successful.

HI there,

Controller not recognized by Freeflight6 issue summary and solution:
  • Controller powers on, but is not recognized by (latest) Freeflight6 software. (I don’t know what LED light codes on the controller might indicate that the controller is actually defective.)
  • Noted in Freeflight6 that drone firmware (before update) was several versions older (something like 0.8 beta), so likely controller firmware is also old.
  • Therefore, check if older version of Freeflight6 (perhaps corresponding to older firmware in drone and controller?) will recognize the controller:
  • Uninstall current Freeflight6 (6.x.x?)
  • Install old Freeflight6 (I used Freeflight6 1.04 from FreeFlight 6 1.0.0 APK Download by Parrot SA - APKMirror (using instructions for installing .apk found elsewhere on internet)
  • Connect controller and run (old) Freeflight6 1.04. Controller is now recognized, and firmware update is offered and successfully completed. (Old controller firmware version is not displayed before update is offered, so I do not know the particular version that is not compatible with the latest Freeflight6.)
  • Go to apps/play store and install offered update to Freeflight6 (6.x.x)
  • Run updated Freeflight6, controller is now recognized, (and further firmware updates are offered.)
  • Latest Freeflight6 now operates correctly with controller.
So the conclusion is:
  • Latest Freeflight6 software (6.x.x?) is apparently not compatible with some old controller firmware versions, and therefore does not recognize the controller (and is also not able to update the controller firmware.)
  • Older Freeflight6 (only 1.04 tested) software does recognize and is able to update the controller firmware.
  • Since downgrading to older Freeflight6 to update the controller (as in steps above) is not a user friendly process, the real solution is that Freeflight6 software needs to be updated to recognize and update the old controller firmware versions. (There needs to be at least one additional path in Freeflight6, where if the controller is not initially recognized, the controller communication/recognition logic reverts to the method used in older Freeflight6 versions.)
  • An alternate solution could be that the Support personnel offer a specific firmware update app or procedure that does not require Freeflight6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut