Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Connection issues.

Ade

Reaction score
I’d not flown for a few months. I updated the controller with no issues and updated the drone although it never actually finished, even after leaving it updating from my phone.

the phone was connected to the drone via WiFi. Controller version is 1.6.3 and drone is 1.6.4. When I plug my phone into the controller free flight 6 opens and the controller icon is green but the drone icon remains white as if the phone isn’t connected to the drone. The second I unplug the controller from the phone the drone icon turns green and I can fly using my phone. Plug the phone back into the controller and the drone icon turns white, the controller icon turns green and it’s back to acting like the drone isn’t paired to the phone and I can’t fly.

Anyone any ideas? I’ve had nothing but hassle with connecting. Surely it should just be a case of plug phone to controller then turn on anafi and drone connects. ie plug and play.

Sounds like the controller is not connecting to the drone, but the Drone wifi is connecting to your phone wifi.

Simplest way to pair is to connect the drone USB to the USB-A on the controller. Open the controller and power up the Drone - you should see the controller led flash Green several times to say it has paired.

Just tried that and the LED on the controller remains flashing light blue then dark blue. The USB cable I'm using will charge my phone and other devices fine and the controller but not the battery. I have to use a different ( slower ) USB cable to charge the battery for. I don't have access to the other cable until later on today. Could that be the issue?

Edit : tried with 3 other USB cables, connecting the controller to the drone. Same thing happens, LED remains flashing light blue then dark blue. Doesn't recognise the drone whilst phone is connected to the controller, unplug phone from the controller and instantly the drone icon turns green and I can fly if I use the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: flying gringo
Sometimes you have to tinker about - leave it connected, powering the drone first, then opening the controller.

Just try different combinations of powering up - it will work.

Also make sure there is a SD card in the drone - I think it does not work without one.

Also make sure there is a SD card in the drone - I think it does not work without one.

The last update was suppose to take care of that issue.
Improved MPP / drone pairing with a USB cable: it will now work even if there is no SD card in the drone.

Sometimes you have to tinker about - leave it connected, powering the drone first, then opening the controller.

Just try different combinations of powering up - it will work.

I've literally tried every combination numerous times. I don't know what else I can do other than try another phone. It worked completely fine before with the same phone and same USB cables ( that are definitely working as they charge all my other devices, the skycontroller and the batteries ), so I highly doubt it's the phone.

The SD card is also definitely working as I can view previous images I've taken.

Try:
switch of the wifi on your phone, stop the FF6 on the phone, perhaps restart the phone
but restart drone and remote
after remote and drone are up, connect the remote via cable to the phone, still wifi of the phone OFF!

It might be, that the bird is stuck to the wifi from the phone!
"the phone was connected to the drone via WiFi "

Try:
switch of the wifi on your phone, stop the FF6 on the phone, perhaps restart the phone
but restart drone and remote
after remote and drone are up, connect the remote via cable to the phone, still wifi of the phone OFF!

It might be, that the bird is stuck to the wifi from the phone!
"the phone was connected to the drone via WiFi "
the phone is connected to the drones WiFi, not my home WiFi and in airplane mode. Restarted phone, hard reset of the battery. Done everything in the troubleshooting guide. The drone will not pair with the controller via USB. So no idea what else I can do. Uninstalled and reinstalled free flight 6 also.

First of all, delete the drone's WiFi from the list of networks on your phone.
Then connect the phone and controller via the cable and turn the controller on. Wait a couple seconds. Freeflight should start up automatically (if not, just start it).
Then click on the controller icon in the app on the top of the screen, and select connect from the next menu.
You should then see the drones WiFi in the list. Connect to that.
You might need to enter the password to the WiFi network admin

First of all, delete the drone's WiFi from the list of networks on your phone.
Then connect the phone and controller via the cable and turn the controller on. Wait a couple seconds. Freeflight should start up automatically (if not, just start it).
Then click on the controller icon in the app on the top of the screen, and select connect from the next menu.
You should then see the drones WiFi in the list. Connect to that.
You might need to enter the password to the WiFi network admin
Thanks but already tried that and it just hangs at connecting. Left it for well over 30 minutes.

Page 3 of the trouble shooting guide would suggest that your controller probably has a damaged USB-A connector.

Page 3 of the trouble shooting guide would suggest that your controller probably has a damaged USB-A connector.
It charges fine and connects to the phone so I don't think it can be that.

Might be a long shot but try a contact cleaner like this. You would be surprised at what can collect in those ports over time.
Right now I'm ready to try anything mate. I reckon since I've had the drone I've spent over 3 full days trying to diagnose various connection issues. Surely in this day and age it should just be plug and play without having this constant rigmarole.

Your very first post has me wondering. You said you updated the controller first which is what you are suppose to do then you said you updated the drone although it never actually finished, even after leaving it updating from your phone. My question is did you disconnect the controller before updating the drone? I have seen where people try to update through just the phone and it never finishes. I am wondering if that might have something to do with the problem.

Your very first post has me wondering. You said you updated the controller first which is what you are suppose to do then you said you updated the drone although it never actually finished, even after leaving it updating from your phone. My question is did you disconnect the controller before updating the drone? I have seen where people try to update through just the phone and it never finishes. I am wondering if that might have something to do with the problem.
I was thinking the same and tbh I can't remember if I did or not. Free Flight 6 says both the drone and the controller are up to date, the controller 1.6.3 with a green tick and the drone 1.6.4 with a green tick.

Will do. Thanks for the help. Bed methinks. Have another go tomorrow with a clearer mind:)

I just got a update on FF6. Might be a solution in this update for you. Seems it wants to do a data sync ??
And a update the Anafi to V1.6.5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut