Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FF6 6.7.0 update and firmware 1.7.3

A small aside - the almanac state is readable from the gnss device, but Parrot choose not to share it...
Also - sometimes firmware is bad - I have an LG phone, which unlike any other phone won't get a gnss fix in airplane mode - but once it has a fix will continue to update in airplane mode (and no, that's not related to AGPS).

the almanac state is readable from the gnss device, but Parrot choose not to share it...
This is common on all UAV models just not Parrot. Very common with Yuneec and Autel products just to mention two other then Parrot. What do you expect from a cheap consumer drone under a $1000 dollars???

A few lines of code to allow it to say "updating almanac, please wait.." would be nice! :)

Well after the last update like everyone else that noticed it took a while to acquire GPS mine on the last few flights connects almost instantly. I guess it has updated the almanac and I should be good to go until the Anafi sits for a few months without use.

For information in my endless studying of the FF6 code, came across a big difference in the GPS code between 6.70 vs 6.6.x

While all the underlying code is the same, 6.7.0 has a new global isDeviceGpsUnreliable Flag.

Until this flag is cleared - the phone/controller gps and Anafi gps icons stay red.

This I think explains the change to how the FF6 gps indications are behaving.

Last edited:
For information in my endless studying of the FF6 code, came across a big difference in the GPS code between 6.70 vs 6.6.x

While all the underlying code is the same, 6.7.0 has a new global isDeviceGpsUnreliable Flag.

Until this flag is cleared - the phone/controller gps and Anafi gps stay icons stay red.

This I think explains the change to how the FF6 gps indications are behaving.

So is that their part of "don't be stupid and take off code before you have good GPS" :)

So is that their part of "don't be stupid and take off code before you have good GPS" :)
You know, I really do not understand the purpose of it.

They have that flag also wrapped up into the AlarmKt code as well ( this is the code that generates the red warning bar at the bottom of the piloting screen & vibrates the phone).

I really do not know - I went for a flight yesterday, and I had red on the GPS for the whole flight. So it is beginning to annoy me.

Checked on the phone using GPS Status app,. and the phone had over 24 sats but FF6 was still red with no gps on the phone/controller and on the Anafi (which at 50m up has a totally clear view of the sky).

I going to do a build ignoring this global flag to see if it restores GPS behaviour back to how it was in 6.6.x !!!

I had this exact same problem the day after the update.
No GPS on the Anafi side the day after the upgrade though I flew 3 batteries ! So it is not only a question of ‘Anafi took off or not’.

I remark that the day of the update, I had full GPS signal on the Anafi. So it seems it is not also only an almanach problem...

Yes I am noticing every flight is different. Some times it locks on in seconds and other times I can wait for 3-4 min.
I also have had luck just picking up the Anafi and it will lock on like others have mentioned.

Yes I am noticing every flight is different. Some times it locks on in seconds and other times I can wait for 3-4 min.
I also have had luck just picking up the Anafi and it will lock on like others have mentioned.

Yesterdays flight was the first time with no GPS - I fly at that location nearly every day, and I always get 18 to 20 sats on the Anafi, and 24 sats on my SGS8+.

After around 6 minutes of flight Anafi and SGS8+ showed red GPS icons on FF6 !!

Originally I had a lot of issues with GPS lock but have found a sweet spot on my property that allows for a lock quickly
Move it a few feet in any direction and it wont lock - I dont think its related to shadows but not sure
Alternatively you can lay on your back, with legs pointed to sky, and anafi balanced on feet, you will then gat a lock ;)

Anafi - Updated controller 1.7.0 and drone 1.7.3 Now free flight 6 crashes and "restart error" Not happy, reset controller and drone. Free Flight crashes the instant it pairs with the drone. Samsung Galaxy Tab E. been using it for 1yr.

Anafi - Updated controller 1.7.0 and drone 1.7.3 Now free flight 6 crashes and "restart error" Not happy, reset controller and drone. Free Flight crashes the instant it pairs with the drone. Samsung Galaxy Tab E. been using it for 1yr.

Have you updated FF6 to the latest 6.7.0?

AnafiPilot1,
Thank-you for your quick response. I found a thread that seems to have solved my problem. I looked for the thread again this morning but couldn't find it.

The solution was simple; I just needed to download the app again - sign in and there you go. I haven't flown yet but everything on the app looks good.

In regard to GPS signal, I think @AnafiPilot1 got it right !
A few months ago I was testing my Android phone for GPS signal with an app made with the help of the European Community to check for Galileo satellite signals.
This app is called ‘GPS Test’. It gives you a vision of the sky above with all satellites and if your phone is able to use them or not, the signal quality...
I remarked my phone did catch much more satellite signals than the Anafi did.

On the specifications given by Parrot, the Anafi was able to catch 2 constellations : the American GPS and the Russian Glonass system.
Looking at the specs of the UBLOX M8 Gps chip that is onboard the Anafi, they say it’s compatible with the Galileo signal.

At the time Parrot launched the Anafi in July 2018, the Galileo constellation of satellites was not fully operational and for political reasons, the Galileo signal was not allowed to be used in some regions (the USA for example).

Now Galileo is more and more operational and precise, the laws have changed in the USA allowing Galileo early 2019... and there is an ANAFI USA on the shelves...to be used by first responders that are not really concerned by political debates.

They probably integrated the Galileo European Satellites constellation in the signal caught by the Anafi with this update. Some mention they have GPS problems with the new update. I’d be curious to see if they are located in the same regions.

Parrot did not communicate on the subject... but if the GPS algorithm is region related (Like the WiFi frequency)... there should soon be a new FF6 update ;o)

— Edit —
There is an excellent article that summarizes political and commercial use of the Galileo system in the US here : Why Galileo is not seen in United States? | GALILEO
Yes,
I fly in Italy. I believe there might be an issue on how the M8 is being programmed (configured) by the new FW running on the uProccessor. I use the M8 for other applications. You need to be careful on which constellation you specify to get SBAS corrections. I have all 3 constellations over my head. Since I'm in Europe, I program all my M8's to use the Galileo constellation (EGNOS) for SBAS. In theory, I only SHOULD have the EGNOS SBAS system available in Europe. But I've seen some leakage of WAAS into these receivers, causing strange jumps, for example. I'm not sure if this is what is happening. But we all agree, that this FW UPGRADE is a train wreck.

I recorded the abrupt loss of SATS that is precisely desctibed by others in this forum.

Also, I've attached a side by side comparison of my updated ANAFI vs one that has FW 1.6.8

Finally, have you noticed that the LED light remains ON !!! ..sucking needed electrons from the battery.
What were they thinking??? Very disappointing.

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_164404437.jpg
    IMG_20201128_164404437.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201128_164446629.jpg
    IMG_20201128_164446629.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201128_164431068.jpg
    IMG_20201128_164431068.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201128_164435498_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201128_164435498_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am getting GPS green on controller not an issue- so I don't think that is the problem
but not on Anafi, 0 sats, not unless I pick it up a foot or two or move it to new location - even a foot to one side helps
It's quite odd as I have taken off exact from same location for hundreds of flights without issue
It's not really causing me an issue -as it does lock on plenty of sats after I take off and performs well flying
In fact I picked up 32 Sats over the weekend
Just odd that it behaves differently acquiring GPS lock
I did try a drone hard & soft reset along with SK3 reset - did not help
I do need to perform further testing - may try on my other two birds to see if same issue
I will say this - troubleshooting these keeps flying interesting
Hey Tornado,
I feel your pain. Check this video out:

I would anticipate Parrot will issue a new FW release ...this is unacceptable.

Marco

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the LED is continuously ON, with the new FW update?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut