Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flight Plan Question

ROBANAFI

Reaction score
Please delete if this has been answered before.

Can you plan an automated flight plan further than the range than if you were manually controlling the drone?

So for example i'm getting 1.2km distance on the drone before i start losing connection. i could probably get 1.5km if i pushed it. but with the drone so far away i always turn around, that gets me the drone back home with only 25% battery used. could i plan a flight further away?

This is my flight area(a massive flat marsh): Google Maps

I have never tried it but many say it will fly the flight plan as long as it has enough battery to get it back to Home Point so you might not be able to see what it is doing but it will fly the flight plan. Just cross your fingers that it comes home. :)

Reactions: ROBANAFI
I've heard and read (somewhere) the same thing before. Not brave enough to find out. I've done trial flight plans and it shows the total flight time but it doesn't take in variances such as wind, initial battery power, etc.

Reactions: ROBANAFI
It will complete the plan even if it loses connection - except- if it calculates the battery is too low. Then it will initiate a return to home. This failsafe works pretty well but watch out for the wind. Don't launch a long mission with a significant tail or cross wind. It has been my experience that 3.7 km is as far as it will go in calm wind before turning around on its own. Its goal is to get back with 30%.

Then it will initiate a return to home. This failsafe works pretty well but watch out for the wind.

Agreed, I had one 'cannot reach home' due to headwind on the return leg. I took over and put it down safely in an accessible field so the frank warning was useful.

For planning the mission, if you click on the document-plus icon next to the the sliders, it gives the total mission time.

Agreed, I had one 'cannot reach home' due to headwind on the return leg. I took over and put it down safely in an accessible field so the frank warning was useful.

For planning the mission, if you click on the document-plus icon next to the the sliders, it gives the total mission time.

Thanks for The info. How far was the flight+wind? Also if you have no screen/connection can you still see the drone on the GPS map and guide it back with that?

This was probably 200 metres away maximum and landed maybe 50 away. Further than that I'd have used a fresh battery. If you lose connection I would assume you would not have any position information or any control.

If you lose connection I would assume you would not have any position information or any control.

That is a very good point. stupidly i didnt think of that, i was just going by when i've had poor signal. When you have poor signal you still have control but the video just goes poor or blank. i think you would have GPS position information though as the drone will still transmit its GPS location which your phone receives. If you do a return to home then hopefully you could regain control or just wait for the RTH to complete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut