Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is turning the drone upside down to stop the motor bad?

ihavequestions

Reaction score
When you hand catch, the props keep spinning unless you go in the app and turn it off. However, a much faster way is to just turn the drone over. Is that really bad for it? I've done it a million times on other drones and it seems to be fine.

I don't think it hurts but mine lands quite nicely on grass or pavement. I think one of those landing pads would help in rough terrain.

When you hand catch, the props keep spinning unless you go in the app and turn it off. However, a much faster way is to just turn the drone over. Is that really bad for it? I've done it a million times on other drones and it seems to be fine.

When I hand-catch a smaller quad I always turn it at least 90 degrees to stop the engines. So far none of my quad's has been hurt from that, although it sometimes is bookt as a crash in Parrot's log. :)

Regards Leif.

Reactions: akdroner
I don't think it is bad for the drone.
But: in the flight data each "catching the drone manually" will be documented as a crash.
That may have influence on the guarantee in the case of a real crash: one (Parrot) could argue, that you crashed very often before.

I did wonder if stopping the Anafi this way was harmful to the gimbal motors but then I thought about it this way. When we do a compass calibration we are tossing this thing every which way so I cannot see any harm in this procedure other then it shows up as a crash report in the logs which mentioned above is how Parrot would deal with all these crash reports if you needed warranty work.
They would have to be pretty clueless if they held that against a claim.

If you hand land it correctly it does turn the props off, so no need to turn it over and have it logged as a crash.

Place your open palm a few inches below the drone and then tell it to land, some folk suggest slowly raising your hand once the drone has touched down.

Check out this video

Yup and I have seen to many people say the Anafi fell to the ground trying to hand land it, so its not going to happen for me. I grab it with a good grip and turn it over end of problem with it falling to the ground.

I doubt it will hurt the motors. I recommend hand landing as the rubber\plastic foot clips on the end of each leg are very weak. It does register as a crash as its turning 90 degrees which it cant possibly do in the air.

Strange, we other are not touching the legs but taking around the battery/its attachment on the frame and tilting Anafi sideways so the engines stop. This can be done between the thumb and fore/index finger without problems as the engines on Miss Anafi are not quite strong.

It's absolutely nothing that damage either the engine or the Anafi's frame / legs. ;)

Regards Leif.

That's not what he wa's saying.
He said he'd rather hand catch to not risk damaging legs by landing on the ground.

No way you'll damage them with a normal landing though.

I'm more concerned about sand, mud, moisture, or props hitting low-level obstructions. Hand landing is ideal and although Parrot might describe it as a crash I don't think they would have any basis to rely on this description.

You have to use your best judgment on how to land. I carry with me a homemade landing pad. I have had it for all my UAV's. If I forget to bring it and I drive someplace I will use my truck floor matt. Works perfectly. If I am out hiking I will find a nice spot to take off from and I will hand catch it when it is landing and turn it over. Its just common sense and as pilots I hope my fellow fliers have some :)

I'm more concerned about sand, mud, moisture, or props hitting low-level obstructions. Hand landing is ideal and although Parrot might describe it as a crash I don't think they would have any basis to rely on this description.
Parrot does not describe hand landing as a crash. Only grabbing Anafi while flying and turning it upside down will be documented as crash.

Parrot does not describe hand landing as a crash. Only grabbing Anafi while flying and turning it upside down will be documented as crash.
Indeed, though I think a lot of people use the phrases "Hand Landing" and "Hand Catching" interchangeably, leading to some confusion. To me, the latter involves rotating the drone which causes it to be logged as a crash.

Yup and I am finding this parrot forum one of confusion as North American expressions and the UK people that do not have english as their native tongue miss understanding a lot of what is posted in here. :rolleyes:

Reactions: AnafiPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut