Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PARROT ANAFI REMOTE ALIENTECH ANTENNA MODIFICATION

That is very interesting and informative. You are very brave forcing the parts apart!

I look forward to your report on the fitting and effectivness of the Titan 2.4 panel kit.
It may be a silly question but does the Titan kit only work on 2.4Ghz and not 5.8Ghz as well? If so then does the Anafi controller still use the internal anenna for 5.8Ghz after fitting the kit?

Good questions. The internal antennas will be no longer connected so will not be available.

Recently in urban use comparisonsI have been manually using 5.8 bands and getting better range. On auto I am getting range between manual 2.4 and 5.8 so I assume it is sampling and switching as needed. 2.4 was not good.

The panel states it is tuned for 2.4 ghz and maybe I should have requested the 5.8ghz panel (I think they have one) but chose it after chatting with Titan.

I am not overly knowledgeable on antennas but I believe an antenna tuned for a certain frequency will work (somewhat less effectively) at multiples of that frequency so 2.4 should have some utility on 5.8ghz. Any radio techs or others here feel free to correct me on that. Most wifi
"whip"antennas I have seen are advertised as "dual band" 2.4/5.8ghz.

As there are two antenna terminals, one could disconnect one of the two panel terminals and attach a 5.8ghz 9dBl or other antenna...but I have the feeling this is not a great idea.

One question I have with circular polarized antennas, is I have read they are Right Hand or Left Hand and the receiving (birdside or drone) antenna must be the same configuration RH or LH CP. But the drone does not to my knowledge have CP antennas. So, maybe the dual circular polarized antennas like FVPLR and panel CP's have one of each and therefore so RH or LH antennas on the drone are not therefore needed...the "handedness" cancels out? I sure as heck do not know.

As far as cracking the case of the Skycontroller 3, I had emailed FVPLR and eventually received a couple photos which encouraged me. I was ready to order the FVPLR CP kit (instead of the half priced eBay lookalikes) but FVPLR was not responsive after a couple emails. I emailed back twice stating I was ready to order and could I order from one of the US distributors, they have the same looking antennas but listed as for other drones. Or, I said I would order from Italy and wait. The photos gave me the courage to open my case. I do not want to share their photos here. Would not buy the eBay lookalikes after they had sent me photos....But they dropped the ball and after 3 weeks and no further answers I saw the Titan tests on YouTube. Their website chatroom was up, the gentleman there answered a whole slew of questions about what would be best on Anafi and whether I could do such and such to modify their platform etc. They always responded promptly, their gear is US Made (some or all) and their support sealed the deal.

So, we will see. Cheaper mods may well be as good who knows. It may not do anything for me. I do like the QMA quick connects and they optional t-lock mount, a second t-lock at $12 will allow me to connect the panel and possible future amp upgrade to my Mavic 2 Pro, so was a no brainer.

From lobbying with radio scanners I always found bigger antennas to be better, alleles being equal, and hope the same applies.

I want to try the aluminum basting pan mounted around the Anafi phone holder before I install the panel. That way I will have base, aluminum reflector, and panel antenna ranges. I also received the dual band whip antennas, likely the 5dB ones.

The cheapest mod I can think of would be to remove the stock controller antennas, and after mounting external mounts, just slap on the wifi router antennas most routers have. My home router has such antennas and they are cheap on Amazon. Just order Bulkhead connectors on 1.13 apex cables, or bulkhead mount connectors and cut/solder into the stock cables which I am loathe to do. Apex 1.13 cable with QMA female Bulkhead if you want the quick connects. These are a long wait on AliExpress plus I did not see ones long enough. I ordered stateside and the shipping was not cheap...FedEx. But whether external 5 or 9 dB whips would be better who know. BUT....some people seem to like the cheap eBay parabolic mirrored "range boosters" and of course they slide right over the whip antennas in most cases so that is inviting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critinator