Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Remote ID - RID vs. DRI

PeteInCT

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

I occasionally fly my original Parrot Anafi (purchased in 2020 or 2021) and was considering adding an add-on RID module. (I also fly for a fire department, and we had to add a module to our Autel EVO II for compliance whenever the FAA begins enforcing RID rule.)

I decided to go into settings and turn on DRI just to test it. I did not enter the 16-digit (apparently European) registration number and associated key, as prompted if I click "Edit" in the Free Flight software (under security in the settings page.)

I then tested the drone with a short flight and used the "Air Sentinel" app to see if it was broadcasting. It picked up the UAS immediately, showed the registration number and was accurately depicting flight status (altitude, heading, speed, location, etc.)

I then went into FAA DRone Zone and edited my UAS specifics for the Parrot Anafi, choosing "Yes" for Remote ID and entering the RID registration number. All was accepted.

Not sure if this would pass the FAA litmus test, but since it's broadcasting properly, and the RID registration number matches up, I'll keep flying it for now.

Thoughts?

to be legal anafi 4k needs to be on this ”list”,anfi usa and anafi ai are on the list so they are legal,anafi 4k is not on that list so it is not legal to fly anafi 4k without module after march 16(or 14th) 2024……ps .only parrot can get DOC for anafi 4k and they will not do that because they are cheap ***s

Reactions: jaja6009
I agree with Skydreamer. A DOC is needed and Parrot will most likely not spend a penny on this.
I let my wallet give Parrot my thoughts on their business practices by not buying or recommending their products for myself, friends and my public safety job.

And Remote ID is only part of it. Customer service, warranty, and product lifespan also factor in.

I have an Anafi USA and I don't have a key, only the 10-character FAA registration number, which it won't accept. I don't have a way of verifying whether it broadcasts anything, but it doesn't look like it does.

I only get the regular FreeFlight 6 to work on my phone, FreeFlight 6 USA crashes on startup. Maybe that one is configured to accept FAA registration numbers. Does anybody have experience with that app?

Oliver

Those of us with Anafi 4K machines may run into a problem with FreeFlight 6.
On my iPad, I opened FF6 while connected to one of my Anafis.
Just looking around, I found the DRI screen and tapped the YES button, then decided not to go further.
However... FF6 would not allow me to tap the NO button or anything else other than to exit the screen.
A clue was that no WiFi status for 2.4 or 5 GHz was displayed.
From that point on I was not allowed to connect and launch.
So, I deleted FF6 and downloaded a new copy.
Things are working again, and now I know to not explore the DRI function.

Functionality will be somewhat different with Anafi USA.

If located in the United States it does not matter, hence why I have never even gone into the DRI screen.
Parrot did not and most likely will not complete the Means of Compliance and then submit the Declaration of Compliance for DRI to meet Remote ID requirements.
Even if DRI did work, without the Declaration of Compliance, you will need to add an alternative Remote ID solution or fly at a FRIA.

Holy Stone's new module is ~$90 and last I saw was still in stock on Amazon. 13.9 grams.

If located in the United States it does not matter, hence why I have never even gone into the DRI screen.
Parrot did not and most likely will not complete the Means of Compliance and then submit the Declaration of Compliance for DRI to meet Remote ID requirements.
Even if DRI did work, without the Declaration of Compliance, you will need to add an alternative Remote ID solution or fly at a FRIA.
What I've learned in the meantime about US operations: Parrot has submitted Declarations of Compliance for the Anafi Ai and Anafi USA. I don't own an Ai, so I can only speak for the USA model: Use the USA version of the FreeFlight app and under DRI you will be able to enter your FAA registration number and activate Remote ID. The regular FF version expects a European-style registration number along with a key, which of course you won't have if in the US with an FAA registration.

For other models, such as the Anafi 4k, you have to go with an external module.

Oliver

The Anafi 4K is not listed on the DOC.
Using DRI will not be compliant.

How does that support your argument?

The DOC has Make, Model and Serial number on it.
The Anafi USA is not an Anafi 4K.

So a Mavic 2 Enterprise is the same as a Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced?
No, one will get Standard Remote ID support and one will not and will need alternative Remote ID, a module.

If you are going to use DRI for your Anafi 4K that is fine. Some of us have commercial businesses and fly for Public Safety. We cannot just haphazardly interpret FARs and requirements due to SOPs, insurance and oversight.

I want you to be right, but as it stands the Anafi 4K is not listed on the DOC with the Anafi USA. Notice the Anafi AI and USA both have different DOC's because they are the same Make, but different Model.

1697917306337.png

Checkout the other ParrotPilots post regarding Parrot 4k DRI and RemoteID compliance. basically, to be legal in the US you Will need an add-on RID module.

I noticed you said “fly for a fire department” you may want to look into the 1st Responder RemoteID rules. I learned at this Summer FAA UAS Symposium that RemoteID broadcast is about tracking and identifying small drones for law enforcement safety and security reasons, not FAA air traffic control reasons.

I would add that at a recent counter-UAS conference, I witnessed a demo by Skysafe (Home) that provided a small UAS ID and tracking service. It used the drone’s unique EMS signature, relying on the RemoteID signal only to identify the drone registered owner.

there is a big political battle in the US about tracking small UAS see
Interagency Legal Advisory on UAS Detection and Mitigation Technologies | Homeland Security
ACLU - Eye-in-the-Sky Policing Needs Strict Limits (Eye-in-the-Sky Policing Needs Strict Limits | American Civil Liberties Union)

Reactions: jaja6009
Checkout the other ParrotPilots post regarding Parrot 4k DRI and RemoteID compliance. basically, to be legal in the US you Will need an add-on RID module.

I noticed you said “fly for a fire department” you may want to look into the 1st Responder RemoteID rules. I learned at this Summer FAA UAS Symposium that RemoteID broadcast is about tracking and identifying small drones for law enforcement safety and security reasons, not FAA air traffic control reasons.

I would add that at a recent counter-UAS conference, I witnessed a demo by Skysafe (Home) that provided a small UAS ID and tracking service. It used the drone’s unique EMS signature, relying on the RemoteID signal only to identify the drone registered owner.

there is a big political battle in the US about tracking small UAS see
Interagency Legal Advisory on UAS Detection and Mitigation Technologies | Homeland Security
ACLU - Eye-in-the-Sky Policing Needs Strict Limits (Eye-in-the-Sky Policing Needs Strict Limits | American Civil Liberties Union)
We are aware of the FAA Public Safety Guidance update from the FAA. For two of our legacy drones we are awaiting 2 modules to meet the alternative Remote ID compliance path. All of our other drones will have firmware updates or already have them and will meet compliance.

We are not really concerned with anyone tracking our sUAS and in fact encourage it. We have been educating others in how to use the various Remote ID tracking apps. When we fly our drones we are very visible anyway as we feel the public better accepts drones that don't seem to be spying on them and seeing a drone hovering around and not being able to find the operator IMHO may make some see the drone as being up to no good.

A far as counter sUAS we have access to Aerial Armor and DJI Aeroscope when needed for special events and the like.

I have the Holy Stone Remote ID that I purchased at Amazon. I located it on top of batteries with the felt sticker and the remote ID has the Velcro sticker. I rather have the softer part on battery. I have 3 batteries so I applied the felt stick on all 3. As you can see on photos, I also have the FAA no. for Small UAS Certificate of Registration on the upper part of the nose. You can purchase the sticker at Amazon too. I do have an AMA Park Pilot Membership for the $500,000 liability insurance. I, also, took the TRUST “The Recreational UAS Safety Test Completion Certificate”. All these may be required in certain locations.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    886.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    874.8 KB · Views: 13
I have the Holy Stone Remote ID that I purchased at Amazon. I located it on top of batteries with the felt sticker and the remote ID has the Velcro sticker. I rather have the softer part on battery. I have 3 batteries so I applied the felt stick on all 3. As you can see on photos, I also have the FAA no. for Small UAS Certificate of Registration on the upper part of the nose. You can purchase the sticker at Amazon too. I do have an AMA Park Pilot Membership for the $500,000 liability insurance. I, also, took the TRUST “The Recreational UAS Safety Test Completion Certificate”. All these may be required in certain locations.
So does the Holy Stone RID work with the Parrot Anafi or just the Parrot Bebop?

Hi, I don’t have the Anafi but do have the Bebop 2 as shown above. It does work as stated. On the iPhone 12, I have the Drone Scanner app (free) and it picks up the signal. I don’t fly drone out of site so I’m not sure how far iPhone will pick up signal. The drone seams to fly ok and does it’s flips too with not problem. No noticeable change to battery usage. I believe the rechargeable battery in the RID lasts 5 hrs.

The Holy Stone RID works with any drone. It has its own internal battery and you just need to attach it to any drone.
Jaja thank you for the information, I was thinking about getting one for my drone before all this craziness came upon us for flying lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonstar53