Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"Photo Of The Day"

Artistic license?

Sorry, what i'm trying to say is they were definitely added in post production. I'm not hating but if someone comments "superbly timed"* you should have said that you added in post production.

*joking or not

Are you sure????

Artistic license?

Sorry, what i'm trying to say is they were definitely added in post production. I'm not hating but if someone comments "superbly timed"* you should have said that you added in post production.

*joking or not
I'm a very simple & trusting soul, Rob. I always assume that what people post is what they captured in camera, unless it's blatantly obvious that it's been contrived. I have an acquaintance here in town that has managed to capture lightning with his Typhoon a few times; but they are slightly longer exposures than what the Anafi is capable of, unless you use the Burst mode & then merge them together in post.

I am interested to know the truth of this one now... :unsure:

Photography to me is a art, and has nothing to do with what is real or not. If the photo posted and captured your attention for a just a few seconds it was well done. Heck I have photos that I have reworked on my DSLR that everyone loves (my family) and they will never know it is all photoshop magic :)
This months snow moon. Is it fake or real. :unsure:

Photography to me is a art, and has nothing to do with what is real or not. If the photo posted and captured your attention for a just a few seconds it was well done. Heck I have photos that I have reworked on my DSLR that everyone loves (my family) and they will never know it is all photoshop magic :)
This months snow moon. Is it fake or real. :unsure:
View attachment 1414

It's a beautiful image, possibly real. If you get the right POV & use a telephoto lens, you can make the moon appear quite monstrously gigantic in camera, with no Photoshop trickery needed. I have done this myself from time to time on various Super-moons.

A good photo is a frame that conveys emotions and interest. If my photo has aroused interest, it has already achieved what I expected

Interestingly, to me anyway, I use photography to explore the boundaries of the real & the surreal with my long exposure photography, but what I present is what I captured in the one frame, just edited to finish as I like or felt inspired to achieve at the moment of capture.

Digital art (or composites of images not taken at the same time & place) are not viewed as being photography by me. It may be created from photography, but it's no longer a photograph once you have digitally added in other aspects derived from other images. I still enjoy looking at them, I mean take a look at what Bert Monroy creates in Photoshop, they are stunning images, but they are not photographs any longer. The following image is one of his digital creations, but it's far from being a photograph! Read about how he created it here.

Last edited:
Personally i think there are limits. And if you are pushing the boundaries then you need to inform your viewer.

For example(not a drone photo)

This was taken over 2hrs. It could have been captured in a single exposure but i wasn't in a dark location and ended up taking over 700 photos and stacked them to produce the trails. I would still call this photography though as the images were captured in camera.

Hopefully if the clouds do not get in the way tonight I hope to have something very similar :)
I am also beta testing a Holy Grail Time lapse but cold weather makes it very difficult.

Is that a day to night time lapse where you have to change the settings? That sounds like hard work and time consuming. For my star trail i left the camera in a field and went to a friends house for a meal and a couple of beers and collected the camera on the way back :)

Is that a day to night time lapse where you have to change the settings? That sounds like hard work and time consuming. For my star trail i left the camera in a field and went to a friends house for a meal and a couple of beers and collected the camera on the way back :)

Last year I bought into a KickStarter project. Its called the Arsenal. It uses a auto-exposure algorithm for a Holy Grail time lapse. The auto-exposure algorithm can examine a photo and will estimate how over or under exposed (in EV) the shot is. This is still in the beta stage and I am one of the beta testers. I did a time lapse last night. Still trying to home in on my settings. I think I am close but for some reason the camera stopped taking photos shortly after 12 AM just when the stars where getting interesting. Pretty sure it has to do with the cold but I am not sure if my external power supply is the problem or the Arsenal or even my camera not liking the -25F weather.

Last year I bought into a KickStarter project. Its called the Arsenal. It uses a auto-exposure algorithm for a Holy Grail time lapse. The auto-exposure algorithm can examine a photo and will estimate how over or under exposed (in EV) the shot is. This is still in the beta stage and I am one of the beta testers. I did a time lapse last night. Still trying to home in on my settings. I think I am close but for some reason the camera stopped taking photos shortly after 12 AM just when the stars where getting interesting. Pretty sure it has to do with the cold but I am not sure if my external power supply is the problem or the Arsenal or even my camera not liking the -25F weather.

Pity it's not available for my Olympus OM-D E-M5 yet! That looks very interesting...

Lovely point of view. I'm fascinated by the much older complex on the right! :giggle:

Pity it's not available for my Olympus OM-D E-M5 yet! That looks very interesting...

Well it was a very late start off for them and a lot of problems that updates seem to be solving but still many more need to be addressed. I think adding cameras to the list will come down the road as they start to fine tune the Arsenal. The main option I got it for was the Holy Grail time lapse. When they get that solved it will be a great add on for any camera. Getting portable power for out in the field is another problem I need to solve. My camera does not accept USB charging, only a AC adapter so I need a AC power pack rather then a USB PD pack.
More toys for us big boys ?

Reactions: Krusty Geeza

My Cameras supported! :)

Looks awesome then i seen the price :(

Well it was a very late start off for them and a lot of problems that updates seem to be solving but still many more need to be addressed. I think adding cameras to the list will come down the road as they start to fine tune the Arsenal. The main option I got it for was the Holy Grail time lapse. When they get that solved it will be a great add on for any camera. Getting portable power for out in the field is another problem I need to solve. My camera does not accept USB charging, only a AC adapter so I need a AC power pack rather then a USB PD pack.
More toys for us big boys ?
I did check their site & they will indeed be rolling out more models as things get finalised. You have to market to the major selling markets first & it looks like they are doing very well with it actually!

Can you use a grip for your camera with extra batteries in it @Agustine ? Some cameras have grips that can allow you to have 3 batteries, 1 in the camera & 2 in the grip itself. I have seen a home-made system made from 2 grips, so that there were 4 batteries connected via 2 grips that were then connected to the camera. The grips hung off the tripod & a series of wires connected them to the grip insertion part that was simply inserted into the base of the camera with an extension running off to the 2 grips.

She needs some love! :(

Stunning!

Thats an epic location! Sod the old building on the right ;)
Oi, oi, ref! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking