Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SD Card Format Issue - SOLVED!

Hi all,

I'm new to drones and got a parrot anafi recently. I quickly experienced the SD Card error but in my case, I formatted (with my MAC in FAT32) without any specific software, the orginial 16GB SD card provided with the anafi ...

I've read the whole thread on this issue that leads to this one with a solution. In my case, I cannot use this solution as the orginial SD Card is in error on FF6 and I do not have the Format option when I go to the gallery.

FF6 6.4.2
Iphone X

Does anyone have a solution for this situation ?

Since updating to FF6 6.4.2 I have had problems with my micro SD cards not being able to be read by my Mac's, regardless of plugging in the Anafi to read them or using a SD card adapter to read them. I have been transferring to my Linux laptop, then on to a USB stick, then to my iMac. How convoluted is that? :rolleyes:

I just discovered that I can no longer format my micro SD cards using the official SD card formatter any more & that was the source of my woes!

What worked for me was to erase & repartition the micro SD cards in my iMac as FAT32 format using Disk Utility, then following through @CTF1414 's instructions in the first message but stopping at step 7! You need to do a "Quick Format" in the Anafi, if you do a "Full Format" in the Anafi it will not be able to be read by a Mac... :eek:

I now have my collection of micro SD cards all able to be read by my Mac's (laptops & desktops). :)
I will try it. Thanks

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Hi all,

I'm new to drones and got a parrot anafi recently. I quickly experienced the SD Card error but in my case, I formatted (with my MAC in FAT32) without any specific software, the orginial 16GB SD card provided with the anafi ...

I've read the whole thread on this issue that leads to this one with a solution. In my case, I cannot use this solution as the orginial SD Card is in error on FF6 and I do not have the Format option when I go to the gallery.

FF6 6.4.2
Iphone X

Does anyone have a solution for this situation ?
Is the original card readable in your MAC or in a Windows PC?
Is the original card technically ok?

If yes, you should try to FULLY format that 16 GB card with a SD card formatter program mentioned in this thread or on a Windows PC with FAT32.
After this there should be the option to format it in Anafi again.
If the things work until here, you could use the solution in this thread for a larger SD card.

Reactions: pradig22
Is the original card readable in your MAC or in a Windows PC?
Is the original card technically ok?

If yes, you should try to FULLY format that 16 GB card with a SD card formatter program mentioned in this thread or on a Windows PC with FAT32.
After this there should be the option to format it in Anafi again.
If the things work until here, you could use the solution in this thread for a larger SD card.

This worked ! Thanks a lot !

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
Hi,

I discovered the same solution with a Sandisk Ultra 256Gb.
I wanted to share my experience with other Anafi-Pilots, that's why I searched and discovered this forum.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
There was an update to the app yesterday that completely solves the MicroSD format problem, it works like a charm now.

Reactions: TeddyBoy
Folks,

I've beat my head against the wall for so long with this it's ridiculous...

First, do yourself a favor and buy a card from the supported list, available here: MicroSD cards compatibility list

Then, if you're like me - you place the card into the drone, and you get a SD card error, and when you are taken to the gallery - there is no option to format (my cards were SanDisk Ultra 128GB)

Solution is simple, yet, frustrating...

1. Put the original SD card that came with the Anafi into the drone and power everything up (Controller, Tablet or phone, drone)
  2. from the FreeFlight6 menu go to Gallery>SD Card>Format - STOP THERE
  3. Power down JUST THE DRONE
  4. Remove the Original SD Card
  5. Insert New SD Card
  6. Power on the drone
  7. When the light on the controller is solid Blue, do a full format of the new card
  8. Repeat from step 3, if you have multiple cards to format .... if not - GO FLY!!
Let me know if this works for you.

CTF
Numerous attempts following instructions in the forum provided no solution.
Mac (10.14.4). Ultimately I succeeded by formatting in Disc Utility as MS-DOS Fat. Then formatting with the complete format (not the simple-recommended format) in the controller. Finally - Controller recognizes the card and Mac recognizes the card. Took 2 days to go thru all of the permutations. Incidentally the card is a 64 Gig Samsung U3 EVO... not on the approved list.

Last edited:
... I made a short video after the full details were posted...
I successfully formatted my 64 Gb Micro using this procedure. The only difference was that when I powered off the Anafi to exchange cards, the screen did not stay on the format page, but it went to the gallery empty page. Using the back arrow took me to the page where the SD card showed up with the red error message. Clicking on that took me back to the format page as shown in the video, and hitting quick format did the job and the 64 Gb card was recognized. Slightly confusing, but following the turn on, go to format but don't hit that button, power off, exchange cards and power back on then hit quick format worked as advertised up to the point above where the above slight difference showed up. For a second it made me think I screwed up but it formatted correctly. I suspect that the latest update caused this small difference in how it shows up on the App. Perhaps I didn't need to go through all the steps with the latest update but it worked just fine.

My SanDisk SDXC card was formatted as ExFat when checked in the laptop so I didn't bother with the first part of the video....I knew it was going to show up as a card error. Thanks to Kuffdam for making the video.

ok so I have that problem too but with a twist...I got a "refurbished" Anafi on Amazon and the 16Gb card is missing (wasn't disclosed in the listing of course) and none of my other cards is being recognized so I can't format them.

Someone said in a YouTube thread that you could just copy the content of an existing card onto a new card for the the new one to be recognized. Is that a fact ? If yes I'd be very thankful if someone could put the basic files (no pics/vids, etc..) on WeTransfer or Google Drive so I can give it a try, thanks !

ok so I have that problem too but with a twist...I got a "refurbished" Anafi on Amazon and the 16Gb card is missing (wasn't disclosed in the listing of course) and none of my other cards is being recognized so I can't format them.

Someone said in a YouTube thread that you could just copy the content of an existing card onto a new card for the the new one to be recognized. Is that a fact ? If yes I'd be very thankful if someone could put the basic files (no pics/vids, etc..) on WeTransfer or Google Drive so I can give it a try, thanks !
Maybe try doing the updates to the drone and controller. I assume they fixed these issues with the newer firmware updates.

The Format SD Card option does exist on the App now.

Reactions: McAl
Hi!
During my last flight by Anafi I received an SD eŕor message in FreeFlight app.
On the ground I formatted the original SD card, the Anafi and app recognize it, but when try to take a picture or record a video the SD error message is showing each time. I tried to change the SD card but results are the same! The Parrot support registered my issue, but informed me that will react in the next 48 working hours... Screenshot_20190628-122556_FreeFlight 6.jpgSome suggestions?

Hi!
During my last flight by Anafi I received an SD eŕor message in FreeFlight app.
On the ground I formatted the original SD card, the Anafi and app recognize it, but when try to take a picture or record a video the SD error message is showing each time. I tried to change the SD card but results are the same! The Parrot support registered my issue, but informed me that will react in the next 48 working hours... View attachment 2317Some suggestions?

Maybe I have a solution. Return to the first page of FreeFlight 6, tab on the SD card icon and you will have 2 options for formatting your SD card in Anafi. You should always format a new SD card in Anafi before using it.

The SD card you have markt ad bad may possibly have some bad cells. You can get them labeled as bad by basically formatting the card in a computer (Write/read to all memory cells). It will take at least 15 minutes and up depending on how fast your SD card reader is and how big the SD card is. If it takes less than a minute, it's not a basic formatting you are making.

Good luck, sincerely, Leif.

Maybe I have a solution. Return to the first page of FreeFlight 6, tab on the SD card icon and you will have 2 options for formatting your SD card in Anafi. You should always format a new SD card in Anafi before using it.

The SD card you have markt ad bad may possibly have some bad cells. You can get them labeled as bad by basically formatting the card in a computer (Write/read to all memory cells). It will take at least 15 minutes and up depending on how fast your SD card reader is and how big the SD card is. If it takes less than a minute, it's not a basic formatting you are making.

Good luck, sincerely, Leif.

Hi Landbo!
Thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried to format the original and new SD cards on my PC first (FAT32) and on the drone after that. Two cards were formatted successfully, the drone and app recognize them, but when go to fly and try to take a picture the SD error message is appearing. The same is situation when try to record a video - when push the button for video the counter starting to show seconds, but at the moment of pressing the button again to stop video the SD error is showing again! I hope that the problem is not in hardware, because the drone succeed to format the cards without any problems, but I hope for some firmware or software solution...

Hi Landbo!
Thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried to format the original and new SD cards on my PC first (FAT32) and on the drone after that. Two cards were formatted successfully, the drone and app recognize them, but when go to fly and try to take a picture the SD error message is appearing. The same is situation when try to record a video - when push the button for video the counter starting to show seconds, but at the moment of pressing the button again to stop video the SD error is showing again! I hope that the problem is not in hardware, because the drone succeed to format the cards without any problems, but I hope for some firmware or software solution...

Could your SD cards be too slow ?

If the 16 GB SD card that was with Anafi does not work, it is probably an error on the Anafi hardware.

Regards, Leif.

Could your SD cards be too slow ?

If the 16 GB SD card that was with Anafi does not work, it is probably an error on the Anafi hardware.

Regards, Leif.
My new card is included in the list of supported SD cards from official website of Parrot.
Unfortunately in my opinion the problem is in Anafi hardware and I have not any idea how they will support me in this case. Some experience?

My new card is included in the list of supported SD cards from official website of Parrot.
Unfortunately in my opinion the problem is in Anafi hardware and I have not any idea how they will support me in this case. Some experience?

If Parrot recognizes there is an error covered by the warranty, they will replace the Anafi and the controller.

Regards, Leif.

Oh wow. I can’t thank you enough. I too was having the issue with my Sandisk Ultra 128 GB. It worked. Thanks for the support!

ya just saved my single old brain cell from going into meltdown.... cheers.... worked a treat.... :) (y)(y)

I was about to do what the first post suggested (with my 128gb new card), but then I realized that, while the media tab in Free Flight does not offer formatting options, by clicking on the red SD card symbol, between the drone and remote battery level icons, the software will actually offer both quick format and "full" format (which is probably not a real full formatting, given it only takes 30 seconds or so.

I just realized that somebody also mentioned this method in this very thread, but perhaps it got a bit buried in the other posts.
I guess they updated the software to allow that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut