Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skycontroller 3 update error

Great info to have BRC. Unfortunately, after doing hard resets as recommended by Parrot Support, my SC3 controller no longer connects to my drone or my phone. It has a steady white light. Parrot support has asked me to create a video about the problem and submit it to them. I will send them the video and we'll see what happens.
That's too bad Rick, hopefully Parrot eventually will just send you a replacement controller

just as an fyi -
I plugged my controller into a windows 10 PC via charging cable
I opened the lid of SC3 and windows recognized it as a device with FW version number - Parrot Skycontroller 3 v1.8.1
I suspect in your case it won't be recognized at all
but maybe this info will help someone else down the road
Best wishes

Attachments

• SC3 v1.8.1_ Win10 Device.JPG
    SC3 v1.8.1_ Win10 Device.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Rickjq
Rickjq: That's a raw wound for sure-so sorry. Parrot seriously owe you for the rotten tech instructions .
BRC: I like the idea of plugging my SC3 into a PC just to see what it discovers. Who knows-maybe its' discovery will 'wake up' the firmware closure sequence & give it an identity. Did you use the USB-A to USB-C cable or do I need USB-A to USB-A (that's the datalink port, correct?) Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even seen a USB-A to USB-A cable lol!
Still need to investigate that Anafi IP Address you provided a couple posts back (which is why I logged in today). Will post results soon.
FOR THE RECORD: My controller initially came out of the factory with FW 1.0.3 according to the label on the bottom. Rickjq, do you know what yours was? Could there be an age factor involved?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickjq and BRC
Rickjq: That's a raw wound for sure-so sorry. Parrot seriously owe you for the rotten tech instructions .
BRC: I like the idea of plugging my SC3 into a PC just to see what it discovers. Who knows-maybe its' discovery will 'wake up' the firmware closure sequence & give it an identity. Did you use the USB-A to USB-C cable or do I need USB-A to USB-A (that's the datalink port, correct?) Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even seen a USB-A to USB-A cable lol!
Still need to investigate that Anafi IP Address you provided a couple posts back (which is why I logged in today). Will post results soon.
FOR THE RECORD: My controller initially came out of the factory with FW 1.0.3 according to the label on the bottom. Rickjq, do you know what yours was? Could there be an age factor involved?
Hi PollyWannaFly. My SC3 controller had fw version 1.7.0 when I was trying to update it to 1.8. and now 1.8.1. I've been able to install updates on my controller up until around May of this year. Not sure what happened after that. Still waiting to hear from Parrot support.

That's too bad Rick, hopefully Parrot eventually will just send you a replacement controller

just as an fyi -
I plugged my controller into a windows 10 PC via charging cable
I opened the lid of SC3 and windows recognized it as a device with FW version number - Parrot Skycontroller 3 v1.8.1
I suspect in your case it won't be recognized at all
but maybe this info will help someone else down the road
Best wishes
I hope so too BRC. I hope they send me a replacement controller without issues. I'm still waiting to hear from them after I sent them a video 3 days ago.

You may have to send a follow up email just to keep them aware that you're still waiting (responsible customer service techs are rare these days).

BRC: So I pulled up the Anafi's IP Address data. Here's what I recovered:

Wi-Fi Access Point

Skycontroller 3

Wi-Fi MAC Address

A0:14:3D:BE:49:AC

Model

Skycontroller 3

Variant

linux

Serial Number

GAGSGAGSFAGSFSYAGS

Software Version

Software Build Date

Fri Sep 3 07:52:23 UTC 2021

Hardware Version

Debuggable

Boot ID

0BF4AE95BB26E94176D001DFF4487551

Surprisingly, the SC3 is pulling up FW 1.8.1 as if nothing's wrong. No idea what the Boot ID reveals.

Wi-Fi Access Point

ANAFI-G041913

Wi-Fi MAC Address

90:3A:E6:37:12:A4

Model

Anafi

Serial Number

GDGDFSGDFSGSTSGD

Software Version

Software Build Date

Mon Sep 6 08:50:34 UTC 2021

Hardware Version

Debuggable

Boot ID

8649838BFECFFC3356F57ED5C3F4ED3B

Board ID

Academy ID

1A46AF50A898191C1CEF15927C511635

Last Resource ID

100000030004.MP4

User Storage ID

A25C-14F9

User Storage Status

ready

Usb Mode

mass_storage

Last Update Boot Count

Last Update Status

FINISHED

Last Update Source Software Version

Last Update Target Software Version

Flying State

landed

Controller Name

PI040443AA8G039380,1.8.1

Controller Type

RC,Skycontroller 3

Controller Address

PCB Serial Number

AF8GOP9OFF

Smart Battery Date

10/02/2021

Smart Battery GFW Version

26100022001c000385

Smart Battery Serial Number

C8G096580

Smart Battery USB Version

Smart Battery Software Version

Shame that the SC3 table doesn't reveal if the firmware update 'FINISHED' like the Anafi does :( But it does reveal that the SC3 was clearly updated days before the Anafi - it took that long to try figuring out why the SC3 paled at the last minute. Do you see anything here off kilter??

You may have to send a follow up email just to keep them aware that you're still waiting (responsible customer service techs are rare these days).

BRC: So I pulled up the Anafi's IP Address data. Here's what I recovered:

Wi-Fi Access Point

Skycontroller 3

Wi-Fi MAC Address

A0:14:3D:BE:49:AC

Model

Skycontroller 3

Variant

linux

Serial Number

GAGSGAGSFAGSFSYAGS

Software Version

Software Build Date

Fri Sep 3 07:52:23 UTC 2021

Hardware Version

Debuggable

Boot ID

0BF4AE95BB26E94176D001DFF4487551

Surprisingly, the SC3 is pulling up FW 1.8.1 as if nothing's wrong. No idea what the Boot ID reveals.

Wi-Fi Access Point

ANAFI-G041913

Wi-Fi MAC Address

90:3A:E6:37:12:A4

Model

Anafi

Serial Number

GDGDFSGDFSGSTSGD

Software Version

Software Build Date

Mon Sep 6 08:50:34 UTC 2021

Hardware Version

Debuggable

Boot ID

8649838BFECFFC3356F57ED5C3F4ED3B

Board ID

Academy ID

1A46AF50A898191C1CEF15927C511635

Last Resource ID

100000030004.MP4

User Storage ID

A25C-14F9

User Storage Status

ready

Usb Mode

mass_storage

Last Update Boot Count

Last Update Status

FINISHED

Last Update Source Software Version

Last Update Target Software Version

Flying State

landed

Controller Name

PI040443AA8G039380,1.8.1

Controller Type

RC,Skycontroller 3

Controller Address

PCB Serial Number

AF8GOP9OFF

Smart Battery Date

10/02/2021

Smart Battery GFW Version

26100022001c000385

Smart Battery Serial Number

C8G096580

Smart Battery USB Version

Smart Battery Software Version

Shame that the SC3 table doesn't reveal if the firmware update 'FINISHED' like the Anafi does :( But it does reveal that the SC3 was clearly updated days before the Anafi - it took that long to try figuring out why the SC3 paled at the last minute. Do you see anything here off kilter??
Hi pollywannafly-
I am not seeing anything that really looks off -
probably does not mean anything but the serial numbers on drone and controller looks odd,
All mine start with PI0 on (3) drones and controllers with the last 6 digits matching what's listed on each device

Try this-
Turn wifi off on phone and start FF6 without it being connected either to controller or drone
At splash screen - upper bar right side you should see icons for drone, controller, and settings (all white)
Tap the controller icon which opens info for SC3 - photos below
under software version does it show in green text "latest version - 1.8.1" ?
Leave on this screen - start controller & drone - confirm that they are paired by using tilt on camera
Plug phone into controller wait a minute or so to see if FF6 & phone connects to controller- if it does you will see battery percentage in green & Anafi with serial number

If above does not work i would suggest you try another phone and cable to eliminate that as cause
used controllers on ebay typically sell $50- $75
if at all possible reach back to seller see if you can return or exchange
put a service support ticket in with parrot
let us know if you find a solution
best of luck

Attachments

• FF6 splash screen.PNG
    FF6 splash screen.PNG
    247.8 KB · Views: 10
  • SC3 screen.PNG
    SC3 screen.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SC3 screen connected.PNG
    SC3 screen connected.PNG
    93.6 KB · Views: 11
Thank you, BRC. But tapping on the icon merely sends you to an instruction page on how to connect. The drone icon however reveals Anafi's data including its' latest rev (1.8.2). Perhaps I should: Open FF6, Turn on SC3, Plug phone in & wait for connection, Tap on icon for info page & remain there, THEN Turn on Anafi & wait for pairing. Think I may have tried this but without pulling up the info page...worth a shot. UPDATE: No SC3 connection ever happens. For zits & giggles I tried a lightning to USB-C data cable in lieu of USB-A...also no connection.
Also, I fudged the S/Ns on both devices 'for security purposes' ;).

Last edited:
Further Update: Submitted a service ticket w/Parrot. The reply was polite, however all they could provide was recitement from the toubleshooting guide - as if to not even comprehend what I wrote. Ridiculous. Personally, I'm beginning to beleive it's due to the implementation of DRI two updates ago. Anyone care to speculate the possibility? Mind you this was a heads-first initial install of FF6.7.5, not an implemental update from a previous install/version.
Rickjq: You've had regular updates recently, but your SC3 now behaves worse since the suggested re-set procedures (no link up at all). In all theroy that procedure 'should' have worked and I recall trying that reset very early on to no avail, but I was still able to restore link between Anafi & SC3. To be honest, I'm afraid to try it on my kit-now. So sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickjq
Further Update: Submitted a service ticket w/Parrot. The reply was polite, however all they could provide was recitement from the toubleshooting guide - as if to not even comprehend what I wrote. Ridiculous. Personally, I'm beginning to beleive it's due to the implementation of DRI two updates ago. Anyone care to speculate the possibility? Mind you this was a heads-first initial install of FF6.7.5, not an implemental update from a previous install/version.
Rickjq: You've had regular updates recently, but your SC3 now behaves worse since the suggested re-set procedures (no link up at all). In all theroy that procedure 'should' have worked and I recall trying that reset very early on to no avail, but I was still able to restore link between Anafi & SC3. To be honest, I'm afraid to try it on my kit-now. So sorry.
Hey PollyWannaFly. Yes, my SC3 controller is worse after following Parrot support instructions. Now I cannot connect to it at all, it simply stays with the steady white light on at all times. It has been over a week since I emailed them the video they requested I send them. I sent them a follow up email 4 days ago. No reply to any of the 2 emails so far. I continue to fly with minimal functionality to take aerial 360 photos via WIFI but I sure miss the controller.

Hey Rickjq: Did you try doing another SC3 reset using the 'button hold down' method? This thread has gotten so long I'm losing track of who tried what & when lol! Anyway, I'd dis-regard the 'power drain' method Parrot Tech Support suggested. Instead, power up the SC3 until 'initialised' (30 seconds), then hold down the gimbal centering button, the shutter button and the take off/land button for at least 20 seconds (Parrot suggests 15 seconds). There's a sequence of the led flashing several times, but I seem to recall the final stage being the led holding steady white for about 3 seconds & then going out. At this time (and NOT before) you can release the buttons & it then should go into the slow fading blue/light blue 'waiting to link' sequence. Your SC3 appears to not have completed that final reboot stage (it's still in a solid white led stage). Drawing straws as it be, but what have you got to lose.

Hey Rickjq: Did you try doing another SC3 reset using the 'button hold down' method? This thread has gotten so long I'm losing track of who tried what & when lol! Anyway, I'd dis-regard the 'power drain' method Parrot Tech Support suggested. Instead, power up the SC3 until 'initialised' (30 seconds), then hold down the gimbal centering button, the shutter button and the take off/land button for at least 20 seconds (Parrot suggests 15 seconds). There's a sequence of the led flashing several times, but I seem to recall the final stage being the led holding steady white for about 3 seconds & then going out. At this time (and NOT before) you can release the buttons & it then should go into the slow fading blue/light blue 'waiting to link' sequence. Your SC3 appears to not have completed that final reboot stage (it's still in a solid white led stage). Drawing straws as it be, but what have you got to lose.
Hey PollyWannaFly. Yes, I tried that several times already. No luck. Only worked the first time I tried it but not anymore. Parrot Support from Europe said that my controller should be replaced but they cannot do anything about it since they don't have warehouses in the US. So I'm stuck with a broken controller which is under warranty and they won't replace. I'm contacting Best Buy to see if they can help (I bought the drone from Best Buy).

• Sad
Reactions: PollyWannaFly
Hello. I hate to add onto this thread but I was in the middle of a update for the SC3 and it failed. Now I can't use the SC3 at all. Is there some kind of backdoor update to fix it?

Hello. I hate to add onto this thread but I was in the middle of a update for the SC3 and it failed. Now I can't use the SC3 at all. Is there some kind of backdoor update to fix it?
Try powering up drone and then controller (without phone connected) -
wait a minute to see if they sync or connect by moving tilt of camera
If not try pairing controller to drone using usb cable
if yes connect phone to controller and see what happens

I've tried that many times and it wont sync. All the SC3 does is blink white.

Yes. Parrot finally responded to my email. I'll share a fix if they present me with one.

Reactions: BRC
I tried another phone with a fresh install of FF6 and somehow something changed with the SC3. I when back to my original phone and now it all works.

Reactions: 70Falcon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut