Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Switching from 2.4 ghz to 5.8 ghz

Eencke

Reaction score
Can you easily switch from 2.4 ghz to 5.8 ghz without losing connection?
I am not sure if you have to pair the remote again Or reconnect the anafi wifi again with password.

I think i experienced this issue once in the beginning , it took me a long time again to get connected. But i am not sure if it was that i pushed on the 5.8 ghz button or it was a bug or so.

it just briefly disconnects, no new auth needed.
just use auto wifi setting

I assume the choice of 2.4 or 5.8 is down to what phone you're using.
I have an Oppo F5 which according to manufacturer specs has 2.4/5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n but when I look at the network page on freeflight6 I get this..Screenshot_2018-08-29-18-06-41-54.png
Now to me it looks like the 5GHz band is not available?
I can connect my phone to my home broadband router's 5GHz signal so why not the Anafi's?

press manual first? had some similar behaviour and could actually switch after playing around with the other options.

Not available in UK either ...... Android can using Fake GPS and getting it into FCC mode, but not worked out how to do that on IOS 11.4.1

There is a team working on a patch that will allow FCC switching, amongst other things.

Got it...
I Downloaded 'Fake GPS' from the Play Store.
Open the app and it gives you the link to 'developer options'
Enable developer options and look for the 'select mock location app' and tell it you want to use Fake GPS.
Go back to Fake GPS and move the map until you're in the heart of middle America (I chose somewhere in Nebraska) then press the green button.
Put your phone in airplane mode.
Connect the phone to the controller and it opens FreeFlight 6 automatically.
Power on the Anafi and let the controller find it.
Now go to options and network and voila, full spectrum of channels.Screenshot_2018-08-31-20-10-23-35.png

Last edited:
A few more pics.. I used WiFi Analyzer to see if I could tell if there was a difference in output power between CE mode and FCC mode.
Inconclusive at this time.
Here's a scan with the Anafi in CE mode.. My Router is on Ch6 just behind the TV in the same room.Anafi2GC4CE.jpg
In FCC mode.. there was no difference, the plots were the same as in CE at 2.4GHz.
FCC mode with the Anafi set to Ch 48, this 'should' be limited to 1W (The router should be limited to 200mW)
Anafi5GC48.jpg
And now with the Anafi set to Ch 153, this 'should' be limited to 4W.
Anafi5GC153.jpg
I need to try this again outside away from other WiFi sources with some distance between the sniffer and the transmitter to see if there is a noticeable difference between 100mW (CE) and 4W (FCC) @ 2.4GHz

Reactions: Flipper
I've not used the maps much while I've been flying so far, more line of sight and FPV to tell where it is and which way it's flying.
I believe you can download maps before flight and it is possible to reconnect to net after power up (the controller stays in FCC mode so long as you don't come out of airplane mode)

I assume the choice of 2.4 or 5.8 is down to what phone you're using.
I have an Oppo F5 which according to manufacturer specs has 2.4/5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n but when I look at the network page on freeflight6 I get this..View attachment 161
Now to me it looks like the 5GHz band is not available?
I can connect my phone to my home broadband router's 5GHz signal so why not the Anafi's?
Hi,here is chart that explaines in which country is 5g forbiden,also it shows max signal power that can be legaly used

Yes, I found that in one of the other forums, it looks like USA or Venezuela are the locations to use for the best output but I need to work out if the controller is actually changing its output to the max 4W or not.
Is it possible that Parrot have made two different versions of the controller and ships them depending on where they are going to be sold?

Yes, I found that in one of the other forums, it looks like USA or Venezuela are the locations to use for the best output but I need to work out if the controller is actually changing its output to the max 4W or not.
Is it possible that Parrot have made two different versions of the controller and ships them depending on where they are going to be sold?
Hi...in a chart you can see max wifi output in usa,europe and other countrys,...the only way to get 4W sgnal iz to install a mod,parrot doesnt sell different types of skycontroller 3,it is the anafi firmware and gps in your phone that tells a anafi in what country is located,at the start up...once location is confirmed anafi will lock forbiden channels per wifi regulation of the country,at the same time signal output is also regulated(fcc-ce)

I've not used the maps much while I've been flying so far, more line of sight and FPV to tell where it is and which way it's flying.
I believe you can download maps before flight and it is possible to reconnect to net after power up (the controller stays in FCC mode so long as you don't come out of airplane mode)
Ok, but Flight-plan would be impossible to use!?
If I would leave the smartphone in airplane mode, will the drone/controller use FCC next time I switch them on?

Hi...in a chart you can see max wifi output in usa,europe and other countrys,...the only way to get 4W sgnal iz to install a mod,parrot doesnt sell different types of skycontroller 3,it is the anafi firmware and gps in your phone that tells a anafi in what country is located,at the start up...once location is confirmed anafi will lock forbiden channels per wifi regulation of the country,at the same time signal output is also regulated(fcc-ce)
The mod is avaiable? For now i use fakegps trick and work with android smarthphone.
1: offline from internet and restart smarthphone
2: open fakegps and point on U.S.A. state
3: connect smarthphone to skycontroller and powerup the anafi
4: go in background without close freeflight on fakegps and pause it.
5: back on freeflight6 and 5ghz "FCC" is avaiable with correct position.
stay offline from internet if not back on "CE".

I think solaris is working on anafi mod,how far he is and how long till he starts selling anafi mods,that i dont know yet
Solaris hate the anafi i see a lot of bad comment on every youtube post.For now fakegps work good.
Sorry fo my bad english.

There are several guys working on an FCC hack, as well as a few other hacks, obviously they have their daily work and their home lives, so these things tend to be at a slower pace..... Unlike the flurry we had with the first Mavic Pro, but that was a different story

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut