Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ticked Off Lucky Parrot Owner

Fox Fader

Reaction score
I had been flying FPV hi alt, lo-alt, nothing erratic and only in sport mode. Got down to 15% and thought I'd do VLOS for a minute. Five seconds later the bird started getting erratic then moving sideways, so I landed it. Luckily I was only 5 meters high in the grass. This is what I saw when I walked up to it. I was quite ticked cause the blades looked good last night, but when I got home I remembered something. While flying FPV today she felt like she was dog-tracking. I'm guessing that was the fractured prop causing this. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• 20200923_140506.jpg
    20200923_140506.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 53
Yes I'm really lucky it happened when it did.

This is what the other 3 looked like. My fault for not replacing them.

Attachments

• 20200923_172207.jpg
    20200923_172207.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
I'm guessing it let go at where the blade gets nicked from the hub. Like I said most times that never a problem. I have even taken one of mine and tried breaking it there at the nick and it took a whole lot of bending to before it broke.

I'm guessing it let go at where the blade gets nicked from the hub. Like I said most times that never a problem. I have even taken one of mine and tried breaking it there at the nick and it took a whole lot of bending to before it broke.
I get it. I took a closer look and I see where it gets hit. Funny the fronts are perfect. This must happen in storage.

Last edited:
on the left is prop after crash,the other 3 were fine...on the right you can see brand new one just taken out of the box

Attachments

• F36E2006-EDFE-42F7-9512-6B05FB20327C.jpeg
    F36E2006-EDFE-42F7-9512-6B05FB20327C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Pretty much. What I have been doing is making sure the trailing side is against the hub before take off. Ever since I have been doing this I have not had any more nicks. There are a lot of posts on prop failures on here.
I even did a slow motion video to see why this is happening. I believe that the prop winds up and slaps the hub at full speed so by putting the trailing edge at the hub it has a lot longer to smoothen out. Not very scientific I know but it seems to work at least for me.

Pretty much. What I have been doing is making sure the trailing side is against the hub before take off. Ever since I have been doing this I have not had any more nicks. There are a lot of posts on prop failures on here.
I even did a slow motion video to see why this is happening. I believe that the prop winds up and slaps the hub at full speed so by putting the trailing edge at the hub it has a lot longer to smoothen out. Not very scientific I know but it seems to work at least for me.

I get it. Parrot probably should let the motors arm slower and longer before take off. If anyone has ever witnessed a bugs 4w take off, the motors spin slow when you hit arm, then when you hit take off, they "spool up" to speed.

Odd that my latest anafi, which has about 20 hrs flight time and over 100 flights.
The pops look brand new no nicks on take off
My other(2) birds had them
Not sue why, but cot complaining

And yes Fox it was your luck day- good time to buy a lottery ticket!

Odd that my latest anafi, which has about 20 hrs flight time and over 100 flights.
The pops look brand new no nicks on take off
My other(2) birds had them
Not sue why, but cot complaining

And yes Fox it was your luck day- good time to buy a lottery ticket!
Lol didn't think about a lottery ticket!

After todays event I've been looking at the Evo1. Amazon has a good deal. Still gonna keep the Anafi, it's something special.

Here's an update. I went out again today, inspected all the pops after replacing the rears yesterday, flew vlos for two minutes, brought it in to look and this is what the front b-side looked like. I'm the only one who handles this quad, always stored properly inside my house. This is getting strange, but I'm glad I checked. Front A's look good as of now.

Attachments

• 20200925_130059.jpg
    20200925_130059.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Here's an update. I went out again today, inspected all the pops after replacing the rears yesterday, flew vlos for two minutes, brought it in to look and this is what the front b-side looked like. I'm the only one who handles this quad, always stored properly inside my house. This is getting strange, but I'm glad I checked. Front A's look good as of now.
You really are lucky that you brought it in in to check after a few minutes of flying - smart move
Still not too late to buy that lottery ticket;)
btw... it also looks like the hub on the right prop in photo is chewed up or worn, I have not see one like that before
I'm a little surprised you were not getting vibration warnings

You really are lucky that you brought it in in to check after a few minutes of flying - smart move
btw... it also looks like the hub on the right prop in photo is chewed up or worn, I have not see one like that before

Yeah, start move, finally haha.
I'll have to look again at that prop. No warnings of any type.

BTW, I took a real good look at that hub with a magnifying glass and its absolutely nothing like this pics makes it out to be. Just a lighting trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davecat44