Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi worth keeping, if stuck in CE mode

It was always annoying but whilst there was a way to activate FCC channels in a CE area people were happy.
Also I presume people are annoyed initially at parrot charging the same price for physically the same product but with massively different range capabilities.
Another ridiculously stupid thing is flight plan goes far beyond the range of the controller range so locking us out of FCC is stupid as we can still send the Anafi out to FCC distances.
I know it's related to frequency use but surely not all FCC channels are heavily used for other purposes outside of the US. It's not as if our Anafi's would be using these frequencies for long periods of time unless you went out with 100 batteries.

It was always annoying but whilst there was a way to activate FCC channels in a CE area people were happy.
Also I presume people are annoyed initially at parrot charging the same price for physically the same product but with massively different range capabilities.
Another ridiculously stupid thing is flight plan goes far beyond the range of the controller range so locking us out of FCC is stupid as we can still send the Anafi out to FCC distances.
I know it's related to frequency use but surely not all FCC channels are heavily used for other purposes outside of the US. It's not as if our Anafi's would be using these frequencies for long periods of time unless you went out with 100 batteries.

If greater distance is important to anyone then do a hardware mode and don't rely on software fixes. When I first got into flying UAV's back in Jan. of 2015 a lot of posts had to do with adding external antennas and boosters. I admit I fell into that trap and modded my Yuneec Q500 with better 2.4 & 5.8 antennas and boosters. When done the only limitation was the battery. There are a few different options out there for the Anafi.
My interest for this hobby started back in the 60's when my father used to take us to the ball field and fly his gas powered blank airplane that was tethered by string back to him. We would watch him spin around flying his plane for hours or until he crashed it which happened lots . To me there is more to this hobby then buying something out of the box and going flying. Experiment and test. That is what this hobby used to be about. People these days expect everything to be just handed to them right out of the box. Sorry but those days are over.

Just one of my experiments. Worked very well.

73mBsl0.jpg

@catkinson80 Parrot, like all other manufacturers have to ensure that their products are certified as compliant to be used in the countries that they are sold in. With regards to radio control this means EU regulations for most of Europe. It is not in Parrot's hands to legally sell products that do not comply with the regulations. Radio control manufacturers such as Spektrum and FrSky have different firmware for their transmitters and receivers for various countries. I seem to recollect that DJI produce 2 versions of their Mavic Mini. The EU version uses 2.4Ghz and the USA version uses 5.8Ghz at a power that is not legal in the EU.

Last edited:
I'm and old fella and totally confused with whats what and whats not with the Anfai firmware...I am reading that lack of distance is now a issue for some pilots, I live in Scotland, and my Anafi is showing that I can fly to a max height of 150m and a max distance of 4km... I take it that other pilots have been restricted with the new firmware update? is this correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310-142424_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    Screenshot_20200310-142424_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 17
@Liger 1956 I know what your saying but not all manufacturers can be doing the same, Hubsan from my own experience must be either using a signal amplifier and running beyond the power which CE channels allow or they are using FCC channels.
Xiaomi/fimi must also be doing the same/similar thing as they also produce a significant range in CE countries.
Even DJI have yet to block the FCC mod on the spark and at least offer a way to downgrade the firmware if a problem arises.

@davyg - what is shows there is the maximum limits the firmware will allow, the problem is with CE channels which you are presumably using in the uk your output power is significantly reduced in comparison to Anafi's in the US which are using FCC channels.
Some people have even reported signal drops/glitches at a mere 150m.
I have those same limits on mine but I am restricted to CE channels as I stupidly did the update prior to using an FCC mod.
If you go down to the network option at the bottom when connected to anafi it will show you a bank of channels.
If you are in FCC you will see a series of channels in the 40's which as far as I know are the FCC channels.
If not do not do the Google play update prior to using an FCC mod or alternatively turn off auto update on the freeflight 6 app in the playstore and forget about it.

This is a strange one -

It seems Parrot are happy for you to stay on FCC even when you have acknowledged a mod has been used.
And don't even advise that it is actually illegal to be using an FCC mod outside of the US.

If greater distance is important to anyone then do a hardware mode and don't rely on software fixes. When I first got into flying UAV's back in Jan. of 2015 a lot of posts had to do with adding external antennas and boosters. I admit I fell into that trap and modded my Yuneec Q500 with better 2.4 & 5.8 antennas and boosters. When done the only limitation was the battery. There are a few different options out there for the Anafi.
My interest for this hobby started back in the 60's when my father used to take us to the ball field and fly his gas powered blank airplane that was tethered by string back to him. We would watch him spin around flying his plane for hours or until he crashed it which happened lots . To me there is more to this hobby then buying something out of the box and going flying. Experiment and test. That is what this hobby used to be about. People these days expect everything to be just handed to them right out of the box. Sorry but those days are over.

Just one of my experiments. Worked very well.

73mBsl0.jpg

The question is what weighed more the controller or the q500 ?

@davyg - what is shows there is the maximum limits the firmware will allow, the problem is with CE channels which you are presumably using in the uk your output power is significantly reduced in comparison to Anafi's in the US which are using FCC channels.
Some people have even reported signal drops/glitches at a mere 150m.
I have those same limits on mine but I am restricted to CE channels as I stupidly did the update prior to using an FCC mod.
If you go down to the network option at the bottom when connected to anafi it will show you a bank of channels.
If you are in FCC you will see a series of channels in the 40's which as far as I know are the FCC channels.
If not do not do the Google play update prior to using an FCC mod or alternatively turn off auto update on the freeflight 6 app in the playstore and forget about it.

cheers for the clarification.... I would say that I'm one of those pilots that it won't affect as I always fly L.O.S, never take the Anafi beyond the point of not being able to visually locate it... :)

cheers for the clarification.... I would say that I'm one of those pilots that it won't affect as I always fly L.O.S, never take the Anafi beyond the point of not being able to visually locate it... :)

It's a bit of a shame though hopefully you still get acceptable range. I was up not far from where you are last summer, I camped overnight at the side of loch Ken and went swimming in loch ettrick the next day, I wish I'd had a drone with me then as the footage of the scenary would have been fantastic.

It's a bit of a shame though hopefully you still get acceptable range. I was up not far from where you are last summer, I camped overnight at the side of loch Ken and went swimming in loch ettrick the next day, I wish I'd had a drone with me then as the footage of the scenary would have been fantastic.

aye nice part of the country...majority of my area where i live is in a no fly zone... :-(

Last edited:
The question is what weighed more the controller or the q500 ?

Lanyards work really well :)
I know the Anafi RC does not have a spot for a Lanyard but there are different 3D printed ones out there if needed.

My Autel UAV with my homemade sunshade is even heavier LOL

nTGKGLi.jpg

XfgnB1d.jpg

I actually created a holder for the Anafi controller the other I was too impatient to wait for one to be delivered.

Attachments

• download_20200310_152528.jpg
    download_20200310_152528.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG20200310152234.jpg
    IMG20200310152234.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
I actually created a holder for the Anafi controller the other I was too impatient to wait for one to be delivered.

It's a £1 car heating vent holder I bought about 3yrs ago and never used stripped down and mounted on some trunking so can be taken on or off in seconds just by popping off the trunking lid, the arm doesn't even need to be extended at all.

@davyg I'm in a similar boat as well but luckily where I like to fly in the North Yorkshire Moors is out side of the nfz. I only live about 7miles from Durham tees valley airport so it was a no go close to home when I had my spark.

I know the Anafi RC does not have a spot for a Lanyard but there are different 3D printed ones out there if needed.

nTGKGLi.jpg

XfgnB1d.jpg

That certainly looks like it requires a lanyard and some heat rub for the back of you neck after you've finished using it.
Looks like a similar style controller to the 3dr solo I had previously, just without the screen.

Is that for the Autel X-star?

That certainly looks like it requires a lanyard and some heat rub for the back of you neck after you've finished using it.
Looks like a similar style controller to the 3dr solo I had previously, just without the screen.

Is that for the Autel X-star?

Yes it is. Waiting on the EVO II Pro release. Will not be cheap but you can't take it with you when you leave this life so why not :) .

I always keep an eye out for an X-star but they seem to be very rare, I've seen one on eBay in the last 6months and the batteries had been left uncharged for a long time so decided to give it a miss.

nTGKGLi.jpg

XfgnB1d.jpg

I see in the picture that you only amplified 1 channel, tx or rx ?
Does that work well?
I am looking for a Sunhans amplifier myself. with a 4hawks or Itelite antenna

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonstar53