Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi worth keeping, if stuck in CE mode

I see in the picture that you only amplified 1 channel, tx or rx ?
Does that work well?
I am looking for a Sunhans amplifier myself. with a 4hawks or Itelite antenna

Video Link Frequency on the X-Star Premium is 902MHz~928MHz
Receiver Frequency is 5.727GHz~5.799GHz
So only needed to use the 5.8 Sunhans amplifier to get better range. Plus using the 4Hawks antenna helps a lot also.

Reactions: Wollie80
I'm and old fella and totally confused with whats what and whats not with the Anfai firmware...I am reading that lack of distance is now a issue for some pilots, I live in Scotland, and my Anafi is showing that I can fly to a max height of 150m and a max distance of 4km... I take it that other pilots have been restricted with the new firmware update? is this correct?

Those theoretical max distance and altitude limits are as they are because you have geofence enabled.

I have a DJI Spark and learned how to read the forum before upgrading the firmware. If I read that the update has broken the range or permanently damaged the remote (it happened) then I did not upgrade. I have missed the last 4 firmware!
It saved me now! I am still on 1.6.3 firmware and have FCC (by trial, I went 800m near populated areas and all the bars were on the display, the signal was full, no error message)
I flew to 167m high (I didn't want to go higher just trying to make the boundaries), there was no 150m restriction ...
I'm sorry who updated me because I thank them for not doing it.

So if you hadn't have read the spark forum prior to updating the spark would you not be able to use FCC channels? Sorry I'll answer that - of course you would as DJI allows you to downgrade your firmware whereas parrot doesnt. In essence parrot have made it hardly worth buying a brand new Anafi as the range is similar to a toy drone.
I bet parrot will not advertise their range in CE countries though, they'd probably lose 90% of their sales.

Actually not bad in Anafi CE mode. DJI's Wifi drones are just like that. Suitable for use within normal visibility range.
If you want to take a picture or video of a building or a beautiful place where you can either climb 50-150 m above the place and take a ride. All this is within the range of 250-300m.
I'm not saying the FCC isn't better, but it's not a necessity. Many people in Europe use drones and they don't know what the FCC is ...
Of course, if you are always looking for long distance flying (which is not regular) then I recommend the DJI ocusync technology drones (mavic2 pro / zoom) which can cover 6-8 km.

When I wanted to buy a drone like a noob, I came across the Parrot Anafi. Read all the specifications on their website and it said 2.1 miles or 4km range. On their website is totally not spoken about CE or FCC, I only found out later. Their website is misleading and that's why I'm angry. Dji does have a neat look at their specifcations about the range in FCC or CE mode. And also in which frequency.

068e7ad11e3e0315c4220bd46d573665.jpg

dca5ec1518bd461b325775c7702a9773.jpg

cd0326347b7f9c3753bc86cfab5fa6db.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reactions: catkinson80
@Wollie80 - finally someone that is making sense.
It is misleading, it should clearly state the range for customers in CE countries and clearly state the range for customers in FCC regions.
In essence Parrot are selling 2 different products but charging the same price.

Also as most popular reviewers are based in the us they are all testing the Anafi under FCC conditions so are not pointing out the poor range CE countries are getting.

Reactions: Wollie80
By way of a little update with a glimmer of hope......

My Anafi is stuck in CE, been like this since firmware 1.64, so have been working with Synman with the AR.Pro4 beta. One of the options in the software is to stop Auto selection of country, and manually select your own country, overriding what the Anafi has set.

So on testing this we found that when I selected a different country, within milliseconds the Anafi (not controller) switches it back and locks it FR.

No matter what country I selected this happend every time. The logs clearly showed this happening all the time within about 20ms of me selecting an alternative country. Even selecting my own country GB, it switched it back to FR.

Syman also pointed me to the Parrot Developer channel, where other guys developing software with the Parrot SDK were reporting exactly the same issue, with the Parrot variable "AutoSelectWifiCountry".

Parrot Support commented:
we are aware of this issue and this should be fixed with the next firmware update.

In my emails to Anafi where I have thrown the toys out the pram about them locking me to FR, they have just come back to me and said "Prove it".... I shall point them to their own Dev forum :)

So hopefully as they are aware of the fact there is an issue, we "might" get an update shortly

So there may be light at the end of the tunnel.... But going by their track record lately, they'll break something else!!!

Reactions: charleslee
But going by their track record lately, they'll break something else!!!

LOL
Thanks I needed a good laugh today. That was funny.
Hopefully they will get this right. Don't think the Army they are trying to sell Anafis to will like the limited CE mode :)

The CE version of the mini may sell well but the classified sections are also littered with them. I'm presuming people watch a review see this fantastic long range flight and are confused when their mini loses fpv at the end of a football field, they then do a bit of research and realise the mini comes in two versions and the one they have is junk.

I was presuming @Ana789 was referring to the Mavic Mini as in the Mavic Mini is stuck in CE version but it doesn't affect the sales of that so why should it affect the sales of the Anafi now it can't be modded to use FCC channels

Reactions: Ana789
By way of a little update with a glimmer of hope......

My Anafi is stuck in CE, been like this since firmware 1.64, so have been working with Synman with the AR.Pro4 beta. One of the options in the software is to stop Auto selection of country, and manually select your own country, overriding what the Anafi has set.

So on testing this we found that when I selected a different country, within milliseconds the Anafi (not controller) switches it back and locks it FR.

No matter what country I selected this happend every time. The logs clearly showed this happening all the time within about 20ms of me selecting an alternative country. Even selecting my own country GB, it switched it back to FR.

Syman also pointed me to the Parrot Developer channel, where other guys developing software with the Parrot SDK were reporting exactly the same issue, with the Parrot variable "AutoSelectWifiCountry".

Parrot Support commented:
we are aware of this issue and this should be fixed with the next firmware update.

In my emails to Anafi where I have thrown the toys out the pram about them locking me to FR, they have just come back to me and said "Prove it".... I shall point them to their own Dev forum :)

So hopefully as they are aware of the fact there is an issue, we "might" get an update shortly

So there may be light at the end of the tunnel.... But going by their track record lately, they'll break something else!!!

Sounds promising, probably has something in the code that has a totally unrelated name to throw developers off the scent.
I had a wierd problem when I was messing about with fake gps changing android language/region where it was constantly cycling between US & UK on the map

Mini what? We are talking about Parrot not DJI or did I miss something?
oh, sorry, I forgot:

geezer-gif.3585

I was presuming @Ana789 was referring to the Mavic Mini as in the Mavic Mini is stuck in CE version but it doesn't affect the sales of that so why should it affect the sales of the Anafi now it can't be modded to use FCC channels
All of the above! ;-)

@davyg I'm in a similar boat as well but luckily where I like to fly in the North Yorkshire Moors is out side of the nfz. I only live about 7miles from Durham tees valley airport so it was a no go close to home when I had my spark.

That is so sad :-(

You should have to fly inside the airport! I mean it is an airport after all.

When I wanted to buy a drone like a noob, I came across the Parrot Anafi. Read all the specifications on their website and it said 2.1 miles or 4km range. On their website is totally not spoken about CE or FCC, I only found out later. Their website is misleading and that's why I'm angry. Dji does have a neat look at their specifcations about the range in FCC or CE mode. And also in which frequency.

dca5ec1518bd461b325775c7702a9773.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If you read 2 more sentences on the same page you would have seen:
"(*) in an unobstructed environment with no interference"

Also, in Amsterdam it is illegal to fly a drone:

As for the rest:

I understand that everybody wants to fly multiple kilometres over houses/gardens near airports in no-fly areas, but Anafi just ain't it for you. Actually I'd rather have those people stop using drones altogether as they force countries to create even stricter laws.

If you really want to do illegal stuff with your drone, GTFO and stop destroying my hobby

Last edited by a moderator:
The CE version of the mini may sell well but the classified sections are also littered with them. I'm presuming people watch a review see this fantastic long range flight and are confused when their mini loses fpv at the end of a football field, they then do a bit of research and realise the mini comes in two versions and the one they have is junk.
You are wrong! I just saw a video that a CE mini can be switched to FFC with a Fake GPS. One instrument has been tested and works!

If you read 2 more sentences on the same page you would have seen:

Also, in Amsterdam it is illegal to fly a drone:

I understand that everybody wants to fly multiple kilometres over houses/gardens near airports in no-fly areas, but Anafi just ain't it for you. Actually I'd rather have those people stop using drones altogether as they force countries to create even stricter laws.

If you really want to do illegal stuff with your drone, GTFO and stop destroying my hobby

First of all if you don't know 100% the facts. Then shut up, with your GTFO

I live 20km from Amsterdam and not in a controlled area of Schiphol im free to fly.
my backyard borders pastures, so I don't fly over houses.
I also use the App Drone Buddy if i can fly in the area.
20200313_115133000_iOS.png

and concerns
"(*) in an unobstructed environment with no interference"
There is a difference between 200m or 4km
at about 400m I can still see the drone, with a stobe light

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonstar53