Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Are flight plan flights immune to wifi signal loss problems.

I prefer not to know the names of the people who own the places I fly over. It feels less like snooping if I avoid looking them up. I don't mind investigating the history of places I fly over/near but I feel happier not knowing exactly who lives there today, what line of business they are in or what position they play. With this place, I looked up the name of the place and found estate agents' details from a few years ago and I broke off investigations at that point before I discovered more than I wanted to know. I once flew over a big house and there was a children's party going on with a bouncy castle, I'd feel bad if I knew the name of the child. I want to look at attractive scenery and architecture, not snoop on people.

I have one of the world's most extensive collection of aerial views of tennis courts in all states of repair from soon to be completed to those derelict since the days when amateur players won Wimbledon.

Anything that even feels a bit like snooping is probably best avoided so as not to risk upsetting people.

Last edited:
Wow - that's interesting... it seems you are trying to justify - to yourself at least - that it's not invading someone's privacy if you don't know much about the people. But that's not how invasion of privacy works!! How would you feel if a drone suddenly appeared over your children's party and you had no idea who was flying it, or why, or what they would do with the pictures? You seem to be happily flouting several of the drone code rules and then proudly posting the results on youtube. These kind of activities just help to give drone flyers a bad name. Please consider other people!

Do you feel guilty if you look out of a train window and see into somebody's house? Now don't try to justify it, that's not how invasion of privacy works!!!!!!

Do you really think that my drone would be spotted by somebody near a bouncy castle before I saw that it was bouncy castle (and so moved away) or that I would publish such a video?

I would not have published that video if there had been any people in shot or any vehicle movements. It is completely innocuous. YouTube is full of images that show houses and cars and no people and nobody turns a hair because there is nothing to object to.

Last edited:
The laws surrounding privacy differ from country, region and state where you might live so what might be considered breaking the law where you live it might be totally different where someone else lives.
Here is one law being considered by one State in the USA.

SECTION 8. INVASION OF PRIVACY BY UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.

(a) An unmanned aircraft can be an instrumentality by which an invasion of privacy can be committed under the law of this state.

(b)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person is liable for constructive invasion of privacy by an unmanned aircraft if:

(A) the person intentionally operates an unmanned aircraft that captures any type of audiovisual image, recording, or other impression of an individual on that individual’s property;

(B) the person operates the unmanned aircraft in a manner that a reasonable person would believe that the operator had the intent to capture audiovisual image, recording, or other impression without consent[, such as through hovering or repeated flights]; and

(C)(i) the capture would be highly offensive to a reasonable person; or,

(ii) the individual has made reasonable efforts to prevent an operator from capturing an image, recording, or other impression on the individual’s property.

Do you feel guilty if you look out of a train window and see into somebody's house? Now don't try to justify it, that's not how invasion of privacy works!!!!!!

Do you really think that my drone would be spotted by somebody near a bouncy castle before I saw that it was bouncy castle (and so moved away) or that I would publish such a video?

I would not have published that video if there had been any people in shot or any vehicle movements. It is completely innocuous. YouTube is full of images that show houses and cars and no people and nobody turns a hair because there is nothing to object to.

When you use Flight Plan and go out of connection range you will obviously not be able to see what is being recorded and hence you won't know whether someone is below in their garden or not. Hence Flight Plan has inherent privacy issues which should be considered when planning.

Last edited:
OK - so this is how I see the privacy issue....

I watched a couple of your youtube channel videos and you say you set up the channel as it would be interesting to go on missions and video places including those that are private - and aim to avoid detection and return safely. You have also said that you would fly far enough away on a flight plan to anticipate loss of signal - so in those cases you wouldn't be able to see what was being recorded and you wouldn't know if the owners of the house were in the garden or not at the time.

From the places I can see in the videos you probably don't live too far away from me. Your activities concern me, not only because because you are breaking the drone code, but you are then posting it on youtube presumably to show off what you achieved.

I really hope you are not flying over my house when I am having a children's party.

You have made six posts here. Three of them are attacks on my character.

OK guys we are not the drone police so just dial it all back a bit. Like I said before laws change from country to country.
Please remember rule #2 when posting.
2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

So lets get back on track with the OPS question which was
"Are flight plan flights immune to wifi signal loss problems"

My personal record last week was 5 minutes without visible signal at controller/phone-screen in flightplan. So far it always flew back to the right place WITH RECORDED VIDEO as planned. It is a perfect way to increase the short range of the Anafi (in my area in EU mode).

I have deleted video he objects to. If he deletes the attacks on me I can let this rest. If not then I will not be posting anything here again.

I apologise if you see my posts as attacks on your character. It was not my intention to make you feel that you are not able to post here.

I have edited my posts so they are much more generic in what I was trying to get across, and not personal. I disagreed with your opinion that it was OK to film that mansion as you had done, and you have now removed the video. Thank you for that.

We should all be considerate with regard to other people's privacy when flying a drone. I shall leave it at that.

[ sorry that this post has continued to be off-topic, however due to editing/deletion of posts and comments above, some explanation was needed for anyone reading this in future. I will not post anything further in this thread ]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh