Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best Battery Charger?

I have it 3 weeks now. It is made of aluminium and looks worthy.
The USB C Port can load with up to 45 W, that is more than enough for Anafi battery, which max. loads with 12 V, 1,4 A.
The other USB A port loads with up to 12 V, 1,5 A with QC 3.0, that means faster charge for devices with Qualcomm fast charge tech , for example Samsung Smartphones.

I was hoping that, after finding my disco had an xt30, future parrot drones would adopt this too. USB-C is convenient though, but I like using a dedicated rc charger that graphs the charge in each cell, records the charging and can discharge for storage.

With only two cells instead of 3 or 4 there is less concern here for balance I suppose.

I see mentioned above that slower charging is better, and this is my understanding as well, though the hour long times to charge basically equate to 1C, which is generally considered a safe amount for the lipoly batteries we’re using.

Two things I havent seen discussed are charge levels for storing batteries and safely transporting them.

Most of what I’ve read about lipolys insists on storing them, if you aren’t going to use them in 12-24 hours, at a charge closer to 50%, between 40-70ish, as storing them fully charged or fully discharged will slowly damage them.

The other thing is the fear of a fire or explosion - I’ve read lots of people who treat these batteries while transporting and charging like live grenades.

Anybody using fire-resistant “explosion-proof” bags for charging or transporting the batteries? I got a couple Turnigy bags in a few sizes, though I have just been plugging the Anafi into a battery bank on the coffee table. I suppose it’d be safer removing the battery to charge, and doing so in a sand bucket in case I run into a factory defect or internal damage from an unintentional landing.

The manual gives advice on charging and it states that the battery is 'intelligent and will self discharge after about 10 days. In many years of flying R/C models I have never had a problem charging LiPo batteries, touch wood, but I am careful not to overdischarge them, dispose of damaged batteries and make sure that I do not charge them greater than 1C. However I intend fully charging the Anafi battery, I only have one currently, after each flight so that it is ready to fly. My wall charger will charge the battery from flat in about 2 hours which is a long time to wait if you want to fly. I understand that charging through a USB adaptor in the car takes an age.

Reactions: dmbrody
Charging time 1 hour 35 minutes with Anker 30W USB-C charger from 10% to 100%: not too impressive.

Last edited:
I have that same charger, just plugged it in through the meter and that math checks out, the 30 watt charger is only sending 9.05v at 1.81 amps, for a 2.7 amp hour 2s battery at 8.4ish volts.

The specs in the manual for this charger say it goes up to 3 amps at 9v, 2 at 15v.

I wonder if the other chargers are going to a higher voltage, or the anafi is just drawing more amperage at 9volts from them.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

Reactions: dmbrody
I’ve tried a few different chargers, so far the best (quickest) has been a 60W Inatek single port USB C charger with a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 USB C lead (the lead you use can make a big difference) but the charging rate is controlled by the battery itself, it is not possible to ‘fast’ charge these batteries like you can with a LiPo for say a racing drone using a charger like a Turnigy Reaktor 300W.
The most I’ve seen out of any of my Anafi chargers is 12V / 1.4A with charge times around 1h 35mins so I’d say you only need to be looking for a good PD charger that is capable of putting out those sorts of figures and team it up with a good 100W rated USB C cable.
I’ve not seen Parrot’s multi port charger that they supply in the ‘Work’ pack combo, I’ve not found a charger with more than one USB C port on it anywhere. It might be the answer for charging multiple batteries at the same time.

I’ve got a 30w anker charger, and it only lists outputs for 5, 9 and 15v in the manual specs. I get 9v charging anafi but close to 1.8 amps the whole time, I don’t think the battery wants to convert 15v, and the charger doesn’t offer 12.

I question just how this charger works. It says it balances the battery. Looking at the photo of the charger I only see two main terminals. These are going to your mains on your battery (+)(-) so how is it balancing your battery? Knowing how a smart battery works the balancing is done through the smart circuit board. So if they are just pumping a output of 8.7v/2.7a those cells are not getting balanced in my opinion.

I question just how this charger works. It says it balances the battery. Looking at the photo of the charger I only see two main terminals. These are going to your mains on your battery (+)(-) so how is it balancing your battery? Knowing how a smart battery works the balancing is done through the smart circuit board. So if they are just pumping a output of 8.7v/2.7a those cells are not getting balanced in my opinion.
I also think so. There seems to be no connection to the 8 pins between the high current terminals. So no balancing contacts are used.

I got the rav power 60 w 5 port on Amazon for like £23 has 4 usb 3 and one type c . I usually charge my phone and 3 batteries in around 1.30 minutes . Job done
I also have a Powerbank 20,000mah so once a battery is used plug that in my bag and carry on about hour or so later it's done and I'm ready to go .

Last edited:
Charging from a Xiaomi 6-port 60W charger:
- via USB-C port (supports USB PD): ~16W
- via USB-A port (QC or 2A): ~12W with "good" cable
- via USB-A port (QC or 2A): ~4W
Note: Just 1 port is being used during the test

BTW, the Sky Controller 3 charges from the USB-C port at ~8W.

Cheers.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.12.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.12.53 PM.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 41
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.13.10 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.13.10 PM.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.15.06 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 12.15.06 PM.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Reactions: Ratmir
I have looked around and the "Sonmer Multi-Batteries Balance Fast Charger Adapter Car Charger For Parrot ANAFI Drone" on amazon will charge 3 batteries in about an hour. Has anyone tried this one ? I'm thinking of buying it but want to see what others think before I plunge. Seems like a good one

I have looked around and the "Sonmer Multi-Batteries Balance Fast Charger Adapter Car Charger For Parrot ANAFI Drone" on amazon will charge 3 batteries in about an hour. Has anyone tried this one ? I'm thinking of buying it but want to see what others think before I plunge. Seems like a good one

Charger seems to be ok, but the word "Balance" should be left out: the batteries are NOT charged balanced with this charger. But if you charge your batteries 4 or 5 times with the Multi-charger and then always one time with USB-C, then all should be ok.

From most of the testing done so far, the best time you can expect for charging a battery is around 1h30, Unless there is a charger that can access the balance circuit within the anafi battery I’d not believe anything that says it can do it in much less than this.

From most of the testing done so far, the best time you can expect for charging a battery is around 1h30, Unless there is a charger that can access the balance circuit within the anafi battery I’d not believe anything that says it can do it in much less than this.
The charger Glenn posted can indeed reach shorter charging times, because it charges through the battery output poles and bypasses the built-in charging function.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut