Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Freeflight 6 mod app - With Special Features

I have been working on modding FF6 with some of the extra (special) features they are offering for the US army and USA version of the Anafi.

Since the 1st day of owning the Anafi - mapping has been an weak point in the App, the need for online maps and the fact that you cannot preload large areas, or choose the type of mapping has been pretty annoying.

Finally with version 6.7.0 these features are there, but not for us normal Anafi folks - until now.

My mod enables these features :-

1. Import and use custom map tiles.

Using standard (as used by Google Map / Microsoft Maps / OSM / etc) raster map tiles in a folder structures of map name / zoom / x / y.png

You can also import a ZIP file with the necessary map tiles, if you prefer to keep your maps separated in ZIP files.

It can handle zooms levels of 2 to 21.

View attachment 4963View attachment 4964

2. Import KML files.

You can import KML files to show place markers, polygons, lines, etc - you can now mark out areas like places you can fly or not. Places of interest, and flying routes. Possibilities are endless with this.

KML will show up on the map as an overlay - most display style types are shown - line width and colours etc.

View attachment 4955View attachment 4958

3. Automatic custom maps by putting your tiles / zip files / kml files in to the Phone / Freeflight 6 / Custom maps folder on your phone. Anything in this folder will be shown on the map without importing.

View attachment 4960View attachment 4961

4. Display co-ordinates in the HUD Map, with Drone position, Dynamic position, and movable reticle. Co-ordinates can be copied to clipboard, and shared. Co-ordinate units are selectable between LATLNG, MGRS, UTM, and DMS

View attachment 4965View attachment 4966View attachment 4967

DOWNLOAD LINK & CHANGELOG

THIS IS MODIFIED SOFTWARE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, POSTED FOR INFORMATION & ENTERTAINMENT ONLY.

ChangeLog (18th October 2020)

1) FCC MOD - Wifi location set to US
2) UBLOX ephemeris data - 2 weeks offline data (vs. orig 1 week offline data)
3) UBLOX ephemeris validity - 240 hours (vs. orig 96 hours)
4) UBLOX offline data download left at every 48 hours
5) GPS Position Display features enabled
6) Custom Map Import features enabled
7) KML file parsing and import features enabled

Bug fixes.

1) Fixed Parrot bug where the Y tile name was incorrectly calculated, causing custom tiles to be placed in the wrong place (typical Parrot they got the maths wrong to calculate the Y tile filename).

Down from google drive :- FF6_6_7_0_FCC_SE.apk

BATTERY VOLTAGE DISPLAY VERSION

THIS IS MODIFIED SOFTWARE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, POSTED FOR INFORMATION & ENTERTAINMENT ONLY.

After many many hours of work on this, I finally managed to get battery voltage display. This is an experimental build with extensive changes, as listed below - so needs testing and feedback!

ChangeLog (12th November 2020) (Updates from 18th October 2020)

1) UBlox ephemeris now downloaded every 24 hours
2) Created new class/functions to get Drone Battery Voltage from ARSDK3 library
3) Created new class/functions to get Battery Voltage in to GroundSDK from ARSDK3
4) Modified GroundSDK BatteryInfo class to now include Voltage
5) Created new class/functions to update Voltage when it changes
6) Created new class/function to display Battery Level and Battery Voltage in Piloting Top Bar Right
7) Created conditional logic to trigger Battery Warning below 7190mV, and Battery Critical below 6800mV (existing warning below 20%, critical below 10% stay the same)
8) Made layout changes to reduce margins around top bar and widen drone status bar, as well colour adjustments - to fit new information.

Down from google drive :-
FF6_6_7_0_SE_BATTERY.apk - Standard with SE and Battery features
FF6_6_7_0_FCC_SE_BATTERY.apk - FCC with SE and Battery features

For me 6.6.9 with FCC on by default.
The big point is to avoid auto landing but I think that's firmware related, right?

I will have time next week to look at a FF6 6.6.x version.

1) So the question is what is the preferred version for people on the 6.6.x app?

2) With further testing on my battery packs, I think it makes more sense to move Critical Battery Alert to 7000mV (~ 3.5V per cell). I am keeping the Warning Battery alert at 7190mV, as again with testing I see my batteries deliver most of their runtime around the 7200-7300mV range.

3) Have not looked in to yet, but if it is possible does anyone see the point of logging this information? I was thinking it might be nice to log - Battery Voltage, Battery Level, Cycle Count/Health, and Battery Serial number in the phone logcat. If I can do it without impacting app performance. What do we think?

4) Finally, for the FCC mode users - are you happy with the fixed FCC mode, or do you prefer @ds2atc method of being able to switch FCC on or off? If @ds2atc is ok with it, I can integrate his method.
Since the security of the new firmware is still not convincing and it doesn’t give me that much plus, I’ll stick with 1.6.3. firmware. This is why I use FF6 6.6.2_203_FCC. I always fly in the FCC.
Now I feel the only thing I want is a voltage display.

1. FF6 6.6.2

2. It would be better to activate the alarm at the 7.3V belonging to 25% so that we can go home in time. (with 100% battery, from solaris8x86 video)
With a used battery, this 7.3V can be up to 50%, but you still have to go home because there is even less time to return home here.
When the drone reaches 6.4V, it switches off (3.2V / cell). This is the limit of LIHV damage. (for plain LiPo this is 3.0V) Whether this is 2% or 23% depends on the condition of the battery.
So I think 7.3V is the point from which it is worth watching the further decline and bringing home slowly to keep a minimum of 10% in the battery for longer life.

3. If you manage to do it I'm happy, if not, it's okay ...

4. I have the FCC version running and I always fly in it.

Last edited:
This was like my case:

What happen in those cases? App shows a wrong percentage but I think it is directly related to the voltage, do you think (in that case) if that guy used this beta app the result was different? I still not understand how the autoland algorithm works

Consensus seems to be v6.6.2 for the people running the previous firmware - I will start looking in to that.

We will stick to FCC always on, and I will introduce the logging (if feasible).

Is there any chance you could upload the source code to GitHub so other people (like myself) can contribute to the project?

Original Post updated with new version including Battery Voltage display on Piloting top bar.

Please provide feedback. This is the result of many many hours of work!!!

Have put in some conditional logic to trigger Battery Warning Alert when voltage drops below 7190mV, and Battery Critical Alert when voltage below 6800mV - this means you do not have keep watching the voltage while flying!
Hello AnafiPilot1
I have never used a modded app before so this is a first for me
Think I got it installed correctly and do like the voltage reading you added so thank you
Did several fights over the weekend, with batteries in poor conditions to fairly new ones - 8 flights
Couple issues i saw - When i try to scroll thru my flight logs its very slow- no big deal though
On both days of flying the battery % on controller was showing erratic readings, ie.,, third flight, dropped for 50% down to 16% in a matter of a minute or so
So i brought bird home and flew another 13 minutes, it just stayed at 16%
Similar experience today but not as bad - its a fairly new controller

Just as another piece of info - I tested a battery that I know has issues
I let it hover until it's battery depleted - at 6600mv it started to land and dropped maybe the last 6" or so
Any way I like seeing the voltage readings and really appreciate the time and effort you put into this
Best

Hello AnafiPilot1
Think I got it installed correctly and do like the voltage reading you added so thank you
Did several fights over the weekend, with batteries in poor conditions to fairly new ones - 8 flights
Couple issues i saw - When i try to scroll thru my flight logs its very slow- no big deal though
On both days of flying the battery % on controller was showing erratic readings, ie.,, third flight, dropped for 50% down to 16% in a matter of a minute or so

I let it hover until it's battery depleted - at 6600mv it started to land and dropped maybe the last 6" or so
Any way I like seeing the voltage readings and really appreciate the time and effort you put into this
Best

Never seen the battery level issue you mention, and I would not expect to either - as the modded coded does not touch the existing battery level functions.

With the flight logs - I run a standard version of FF6 from the Play store on my other phone - and flight logs list and menus are lagging on that as well, I think that is a 'feature' of 6.7.0 and having over 100 flights in the logs!

Hello AnafiPilot1

Best
Your problems are due to improper battery handling. It should not be allowed to float until it is depleted ... the 6.6V 3.3V / cell (6600mV) is already heavily discharged which will damage the battery. Poor treatment in the past can cause premature wear and tear.

Reactions: Martre
Your problems are due to improper battery handling. It should not be allowed to float until it is depleted ... the 6.6V 3.3V / cell (6600mV) is already heavily discharged which will damage the battery. Poor treatment in the past can cause premature wear and tear.
Hi Gipsz
I agree with your assessment of drone battery - It really has been retired for some time
I was just curios and testing at what voltage it would cut out & drop - was around 6% and 6600mv
Actually I think what had originally damaged i was flying on a hot day, even though I ended flight above 20%, most time just fly 50% on batteries

I have sort of come to the conclusion that I will try perform the best practice to to take care of batteries but,
at the same time really bought these drones for fun - so that comes first, at a price

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
Is there any chance you could upload the source code to GitHub so other people (like myself) can contribute to the project?

I mod the software for my own use foremost, but I am happy to share if others find it useful.

I would not be comfortable doing a public git - not a software developer! It is very easy to decompile yourself - use the standard APK to mod, or use my APK as a starting point for your own mods. Everyone is free to do whatever works for them.

I mod the software for my own use foremost, but I am happy to share if others find it useful.

I would not be comfortable doing a public git - not a software developer! It is very easy to decompile yourself - use the standard APK to mod, or use my APK as a starting point for your own mods. Everyone is free to do whatever works for them.
One question: Can an FF6 version 6.6.2 be expected from your voltage display modification?
In addition to the FCC and voltage display, the other "special" functions are not relevant (to me). Can you solve it? I don't dare fly until then.

Reactions: Martre
One question: Can an FF6 version 6.6.2 be expected from your voltage display modification?
In addition to the FCC and voltage display, the other "special" functions are not relevant (to me). Can you solve it? I don't dare fly until then.

I have done the mod to 6.6.2 - however I cannot test, the app crashes as soon as I connect my drones (due to them running 1.7.0 I think).

Can you attach it to a post and those of us that still run FF6 6.6.2 can be alpha testers? It would be used at the members risk with no guarantees.

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab
Can you attach it to a post and those of us that still run FF6 6.6.2 can be alpha testers? It would be used at the members risk with no guarantees.

Anyone who wants to test can PM me for a link.

Checked the logs the crash is happening due to some sort of camera related problem and in files that I have not touched. So most likely due to firmware differences - you would think Parrot can catch these and give you a warning or error! This might explain the problem some people have when FF6 crashes when connecting to the drone.

Code:
com.parrot.drone.groundsdk.arsdkengine.peripheral.anafi.camera.AnafiCameraRouter$1.onRecordingCapabilities(AnafiCameraRouter.java:949)

Anyone who wants to test can PM me for a link.

Checked the logs the crash is happening due to some sort of camera related problem and in files that I have not touched. So most likely due to firmware differences - you would think Parrot can catch these and give you a warning or error! This might explain the problem some people have when FF6 crashes when connecting to the drone.

Code:
com.parrot.drone.groundsdk.arsdkengine.peripheral.anafi.camera.AnafiCameraRouter$1.onRecordingCapabilities(AnafiCameraRouter.java:949)
I want to request a link!
I can confirm that the camera handling is different in the new firmware. I installed the new FF6 6.7.0 on a tablet and tried it with the old Anafi firmware: There are no (cannot be selected) camera settings and the zoom function of the remote control does not work either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320