Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is there a way to get screen not to stay black and white after taking picture?

cyberfelt

Reaction score
I am a new Anafi owner and have been using it to do some Part 107 flights to take pictures of properties. When I snap a picture the screen on my phone turns black and white to indicate a picture was taken. My issue is that sometimes this screen is present for a long time. Is there a way to make the time it displays shorter?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My theory was that it’s staying that way while it writes the photo.

Thinking I might test this by just putting in a slow card and seeing if it stays that way longer, but I don’t think I have a particularly slow microsd card.

My theory was that it’s staying that way while it writes the photo.

Thinking I might test this by just putting in a slow card and seeing if it stays that way longer, but I don’t think I have a particularly slow microsd card.

Interesting. I have a few that are very quick with write speeds. Maybe I’ll use one to test as well.

This is more likely a coding issue, most other models are much faster snapping stills than Anafi.

I found also that mine stayed ‘forever’ in black and white... but the fact is that I shoot in Bracketing mode (set at 5 pix) and I like to do the HDR final picture in Lightroom, so I shoot JPG+DNG files.
So 1 action on the ‘pix’ button means 5x2 = 10 pictures...
10 pictures including 5 Raw files that are ‘heavyweight’ in write memory time means ‘forever black and white’ in the App and no streaming view of the flight.

I would prefere a rapid flashing screen in black and white after a shot then back to video live feedback (even if the memory card is still writing the shots and taking new ones for the Bracketing option). It would be much safer for obvious security reasons.

I just say that in case technical staff from Parrot is watching the thread ... (hein les gars ?)

I am a new Anafi owner and have been using it to do some Part 107 flights to take pictures of properties. When I snap a picture the screen on my phone turns black and white to indicate a picture was taken. My issue is that sometimes this screen is present for a long time. Is there a way to make the time it displays shorter?

Thanks!

Anafi User Guide v2.3, page 44:
".. the screen flashes white then freezes briefly in black and white to confirm a picture has been taken."

It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)

Yes, you are right Dirk, but when the ‘Briefly’ freezing lasts more than a minute and you can’t see the video streaming... our request might be ‘briefly’ = 3 seconds max ?

Noticed similar behavior for single pictures. Each image blocks the screen for about 3 seconds. sd card is a 98mbit card so shouldn’t be a writing speed problem. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it may be an annoyance especially if you want to keep on flying. They should move this to a background task

Noticed similar behavior for single pictures. Each image blocks the screen for about 3 seconds. sd card is a 98mbit card so shouldn’t be a writing speed problem. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it may be an annoyance especially if you want to keep on flying. They should move this to a background task
Remember, that Anafi is not planned to be a FPV drone. You fly it by visual contact (not only with the HUD video stream).

Remember, that Anafi is not planned to be a FPV drone. You fly it by visual contact (not only with the HUD video stream).

I don’t think that count‘s as an excuse, seeing as only the parrot drone does that. As you can still fully control it while it’s showing the image storing process I guess it was just an interface decision. Maybe they will shorten the time in a future update

Reactions: cyberfelt
I don’t think that count‘s as an excuse, seeing as only the parrot drone does that. As you can still fully control it while it’s showing the image storing process I guess it was just an interface decision. Maybe they will shorten the time in a future update
I didn't want to excuse something,- as I said before 1 minute is too long. But you said "... may be an annoyance ..., if you want to keep on flying": You can always keep on flying.
Using single photos (JPEG RECT) I found the videostream is interrupted for about 1..2 seconds. That is ok for me. I will test bracketing and JPEG+DNG the next days...

The issue at hand is that every other serious drone doesn’t have this issue. Anafi has been touted as being for professional use as well, and it makes it hard to do something like mapping when you can’t have a visual reference point. Sure, I could use a mapping software like Pix4D, but when it’s windy or conditions aren’t ideal, I like to fly manually. That makes it hard to do when the screen is stuck for upwards of 30 seconds or so.

I know what you mean. I just had my first flight today and it took maybe 2-3 seconds which was okay. In case they change something with this, they should display it just on a quarter of the screen so that you can already arrange the next shot while the first is still „processing“ if that’s what’s happening.

If it's 30 seconds then you have a problem somewhere, could be bad card, bad signal or whatever.
The picture will always freeze but for about 3 secs and that's consistent.

That's common in non-flying cameras too. Most will freeze/block operation/dedicate all their capacities to write to the card and only start responding again when they're done with that. Only high end ones are capable of "multitasking" and writing to the card in the background without affecting operation.

If it's 30 seconds then you have a problem somewhere, could be bad card, bad signal or whatever.
The picture will always freeze but for about 3 secs and that's consistent.

That's common in non-flying cameras too. Most will freeze/block operation/dedicate all their capacities to write to the card and only start responding again when they're done with that. Only high end ones are capable of "multitasking" and writing to the card in the background without affecting operation.

I will try some things to see if I get get it snapping faster, including swapping sd cards, and maybe re-installing the app. Any other suggestions?

Now the results of my test this morning:
(Time measured [+- 1 s] from tapping on shutter until life-stream reappearing)

Anafi landed (not flying): 1 s (all photo modes)
Anafi flying:
- JPEG RECT: 3 s
- JPEG+DNG: 5 s
- Burst JPEG RECT: 6 s
- Bracketing (7 photos) JPEG RECT: 6 s

Let's say: Far away from 30 s or 1 m!

This "feature" has been added in the latest updates, and frankly it seems to me nothing more than a gimmick. A simple screen flash or sound would be sufficient. 3 seconds of black and white frozen image is not what I'm expecting as feedback from a dynamic flying device. It is simply annoying and unnecessary. Taking a sequence of shots, blanking out the screen for several seconds over a sequence is just not acceptable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut