Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

losing video stream

PGTART

Reaction score
Website
www.peterboos.tk
Was filming in the weekend and a few times i lost the video stream, for the rest it worked fine.

Not sure about the cause of it,
is it my phone requiring a reboot, (solved it with that one time) (should i not set it to batery saving mode?)
or didn't i follow the antenna,
or is there some max range,
or dont i use the right cables (used 4 different cables, what's best short or long cables?) Do people know of good cables here?

or maybe some other tips ?

It was a first major flight outside, and without the loosing of stream, i was amazed how the drone behaved excelent video quality, and so silent people never noticed the drone flying high, even dogs didnt attack it. (but i will always keep an eye on dogs and people not cross their path).

I find that aiming the controller's antenna at the Anafi helps somewhat, but, over 300 metres or so & it happens to me in certain places. At a local beach I could get about 700 metres without any breaking up, maintaining a clear line of sight with the Anafi at all times. I'm going to try it at the beach again, with me being at an elevated point, to see how far I can go before losing video streaming.
  • Were there trees or anything between you & the Anafi at any point?
  • Were you in Aeroplane mode, with your wifi turned off?
  • If you had any other mobile devices on you, were they also in Aeroplane mode, with the wifi turned off also?
  • Did you allow the Anafi 90 seconds or more after starting to acquire good satellite reception?

- There where no trees between me and the drone, but the area was surrounded by trees (picked the place for some wind protection).
- (oops) i did not put the phone in airplay and wifi off (but i was not connected by wifi of the phone (drone at 5G).
- 90 sec, i guess as i took my time to connect it all.

I was testing cables as well, and had some mixed results with that but not sure about it
So i wondered if that was a major or minor cause.
And I also doubt my phone a bit, (its pretty old 3+ years) GT1903i or so (formarly the samsung S3 model, with andorid 4.4.2).
I'm waiting for the old phone to brake so i can buy a new one ;) asking whats the best phone for is perhaps another good question for the forums.

What kind of distance did you experience the loss of video? There is a max range...especially in Europe ( a lower power is used to transmit).
Did you get warnings on the display regarding signal strength/interference before the video dropped out or did it just drop out?

As you originally mentioned, it is best to keep the phone out of any power saving mode/setting while flying. As well as shut off ANY apps/programs not required to fly (especially on an "older" phone)
Airplane mode is recommended ( WIFI off) just to eliminate the possible interference from the phone WIFI affecting the connection between the drone and the remote controller.
I assume your phone has a "micro" USB connection as opposed to the USB "C" on the drone/controller? Besides swapping the cable, make sure that the micro port on the phone is clean from lint, etc. You might think you are plugging it in fully but if there is lint in the port you are just jamming the lint in and then, over time, the plug does not go in fully

Today i lost video verry quickly on 2 meter distance, no warnings.
After a reboot of the phone i got the stream back (is this codec hanging), then i started a new flight and in 4 seconds it hung again. there where no wifi signals in my neighborhood and phone was in airplay mode.
a flight path filmed correctly (filming works just no live view).

Today i lost video verry quickly on 2 meter distance, no warnings.
After a reboot of the phone i got the stream back (is this codec hanging), then i started a new flight and in 4 seconds it hung again. there where no wifi signals in my neighborhood and phone was in airplay mode.
a flight path filmed correctly (filming works just no live view).

There is no doubt that it is your phone that causing you to lose the video feed. It's an old phone with only 1 GB of memory according to the specs I can find.

But what new phone should you buy ? I myself have tried to fly with a Nokia 7.1 4GB version. It is one of the cheaper with Android 9 in Android one version (without bootware) and it works great together with FF6 without crash. The screen does not work very well with my, eyes because of old man's vision is a completely different matter. ?

Regards, Leif.

But what new phone should you buy ? I myself have tried to fly with a Nokia 7.1 4GB version. It is one of the cheaper with Android 9 in Android one version (without bootware) and it works great together with FF6 without crash. The screen does not work very well with my, eyes because of old man's vision is a completely different matter. ?
Regards, Leif.

Well my eyes get a bit worse too, wearing glasses at work now, and since my phone's glass is also broken its maybe time to look for a new one. I think then i need a phone with as you say extra memory, i'm a heavy app user so 16GB internal storage at least + 64gb storage card like i have now, and maybe a bit larger screen. I wonder if people have tested various phones here.
One of the things i dont like is comparing products (phones/cars) to me its all like soap commercials (to much of nothing).
Do you connect over usb C or micro usb ?(or doesnt that matter).

Well my eyes get a bit worse too, wearing glasses at work now, and since my phone's glass is also broken its maybe time to look for a new one. I think then i need a phone with as you say extra memory, i'm a heavy app user so 16GB internal storage at least + 64gb storage card like i have now, and maybe a bit larger screen. I wonder if people have tested various phones here.
One of the things i dont like is comparing products (phones/cars) to me its all like soap commercials (to much of nothing).
Do you connect over usb C or micro usb ?(or doesnt that matter).

If the phone you are looking at has a micro-USB connector, you should be running screaming away as it is probably so old that it has trouble running the FF6. All newer phones have a USB-C connector.

You should have a phone with an 8 core CPU with a clock freq of at least 1.8 GHz and 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of built-in storage, GPS, barometer and compass. For not at all forgetting a clear bright screen so great that you have no trouble looking at it. It will be my recommendation. Such a phone can also be purchased for far below $ 400 today. The Nokia 7.1 I bought actually cost less than $ 300 in the tax-plagued Denmark.

There is a list here: Phone & Tablet Compatibility List

Regards, Leif.

Well I was using free flight 6.
But I wil going looking for a new phone thanks for providing the specs.
Maybe a pixel 2 or Samsung s8 but need to compare it to your specs

Reactions: Landbo
Well I was using free flight 6.
But I wil going looking for a new phone thanks for providing the specs.
Maybe a pixel 2 or Samsung s8 but need to compare it to your specs

Sorry but I mixing you and another person with phone/tablet issues together. I rush to delete the post where I wrote about FFP instead of FF6. In fact, the post only lasted about 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

A good place to look for specs is at GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more...

Personally, I don't want to buy a Samsung as it is full of bootware, I would choose one where the new "Android one" versions/concepts are installed (try searching for the concept yourself). There you probably get a phone that has the least trouble running complex programs like FF6 flawlessly. :)

Regards, Leif.

Buying the best phone may not solve your losing video stream problems. Many on here with good phones have the same problem. Before going out and spending money that you might not have to see if a friend with a different phone would be willing to perform a couple of tests with the Anafi to see if it performs better. Being in a country that only allows CE mode is not helping you at all. There are sticky posts in the forum on how to use FCC mode which will give you a stronger signal.
If you really want to go out and buy a new phone then by all means do so but many of us use bottom of the line phones and tablets and have not one problem with them. I use a cheap 65 dollar Andriod tablet and it works perfectly.

actually i dont know of friends with good phones, my generation isnt into new phones that much.
To bad as it could have told you if there is a problem with your phone or maybe the Anafi's WiFi board.
Basically saying you can buy the very best phone and it might not solve your problem if the Anafi has a hardware problem. Its always good to check all possibilities.

Well i can never be sure but i doubt its the anafi wifi, since it is responding to the remote controls.
As the rest of the application worked as well (i only lost the video stream), also tested various cables something i can rule out. i guess my phone just couldnt handle the load of it. So I'm thinking of a nokia 8.1 maybe taking a bit newer phone on android 9. Although i've always used Samsung its true they contain bloat ware as well, and S9 does cost a lot more. (their screens are a lot brighter as well which might be nice for outdoor situations.. hmm not yet made up my mind on this.

Well hopefully a new phone will solve your problems. Let us know how it works out for you.
At least you will have a newer phone to play with :)

If the phone you are looking at has a micro-USB connector, you should be running screaming away as it is probably so old that it has trouble running the FF6. All newer phones have a USB-C connector.

You should have a phone with an 8 core CPU with a clock freq of at least 1.8 GHz and 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of built-in storage, GPS, barometer and compass. For not at all forgetting a clear bright screen so great that you have no trouble looking at it. It will be my recommendation. Such a phone can also be purchased for far below $ 400 today. The Nokia 7.1 I bought actually cost less than $ 300 in the tax-plagued Denmark.

There is a list here: Phone & Tablet Compatibility List

Regards, Leif.

Does the phone require a barometer ?, from the manual i read the Anafi has one itself. (the Nokia 8.1 hasn't one)

A barometer in the phone assists in follow me mode for going up and down hills. So yes it is best to have one on your phone. When using follow me mode it will check to see if your phone has it.

Went for a LG thinQ, i found it quite cheap (340 euro), nice phone although its a bit long design (whatver happened to the golden ratio?)
I'll let you people know the result.
This phone was marketed as to have a barometer, but i dont think it has one, kinda weird..perhaps its only internally used by the GPS logic, not sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame