Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Zealand source for batteries

We can order, but lithium batteries won’t be shipped to NZ - and Australia Post don’t allow the batteries to be mailed. Only option seems to be with someone travelling across the ditch.
What’s most frustrating is the JB Hifi in NZ won’t bring them in despite stocking in Australia.
I'm a bit of a pedant, so I had to check out the NZ Post site & they say the following, which seems like you can send Lithium-ion batteries, at a maximum of 2 per package, but through services not mentioned in the below quote. Are there any services NZ Post offer that are alternatives to the below mentioned ones? This may be your answer for importing them.

Electronic/electric appliances, devices and toys containing Lithium (including Lithium-ion and Lithium-ion polymer) batteries
Lithium-metal batteries are prohibited. Damaged batteries of any kind are prohibited. Batteries sent by themselves are prohibited, including powerbanks.
In all other cases, a maximum of two Lithium-ion batteries per parcel is allowed*, providing the special packaging requirements detailed below are met.
* Prohibited when using Bulk Mail, ParcelPost Fast, BoxLink or ParcelPost PO Box Priority services.

Prohibited and restricted items | New Zealand Post

@MrGadget & @Efliernz Guys, just had a quick conversation with a courier company & they say that all courier companies will ship them for you, by road & sea, so they take a bit longer, but it's not that expensive either. You just need to mention that the package contains loose Li-ion batteries, & you're good to go!

They can do a pick-up from a business, e.g. JB Hifi in Oz, & then take care of it geting to you in NZ. Hard part would be finding out which store or stores actually have them in stock for the courier to then have a pick-up point. Otherwise, you can order them online & have them mailed to an Aussie, where they could then be picked up from. Feel free to hit me up with a PM if you don't have any Aussie contacts, as long as you pay for everything, I'd be cool with being your point of contact for shipping to & from.

FYI, no JB-HIFI stores in Australia actually physically stock the Anafi batteries, they are an online order item only. Another option may be to contact the Parrot AU reseller - Anafi

I ordered my second battery via JB-HIFI, basically because shipping was cheaper for just one battery (all I could afford) When you order via the website some kind of warning / prompt comes up saying they source the battery from the supply so may delay shipping, tho I ordered on Thursday last week and on Monday received a email saying the battery was being picked up for delivery.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
FYI, no JB-HIFI stores in Australia actually physically stock the Anafi batteries, they are an online order item only. Another option may be to contact the Parrot AU reseller - Anafi

I ordered my second battery via JB-HIFI, basically because shipping was cheaper for just one battery (all I could afford) When you order via the website some kind of warning / prompt comes up saying they source the battery from the supply so may delay shipping, tho I ordered on Thursday last week and on Monday received a email saying the battery was being picked up for delivery.
That's interesting, I was told in store that the online sales warehouse & a couple of Eastern state stores had them in stock. Mine arrived the next day after purchase online.

That's interesting, I was told in store that the online sales warehouse & a couple of Eastern state stores had them in stock. Mine arrived the next day after purchase online.

I guess perhaps some stores may stock them over east (I am in Perth) but it does say via the website delivery order only (no click and collect, you cant check store stock level) and in Perth I was told they could order one in for me but no stores stock them, lets see when my battery arrives, ordered Thursday night, paid express so hopefully arrives today or tomorrow, tho I am not in any real rush.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 9.33.24 am.png

Thats pretty much how it works here in Canada from BestBuy. You can only order on line and it always says limited stock. I think they have a central warehouse for on line sales and that is where they are coming from. Took 3 days to ship to me when I ordered one and it came in the mail.
Opera Snapshot_2019-01-21_204227_www.bestbuy.ca.png

I guess perhaps some stores may stock them over east (I am in Perth) but it does say via the website delivery order only (no click and collect, you cant check store stock level) and in Perth I was told they could order one in for me but no stores stock them, lets see when my battery arrives, ordered Thursday night, paid express so hopefully arrives today or tomorrow, tho I am not in any real rush.

View attachment 1016
Being in Perth probably adds an extra couple of days onto the journey with them having to travel by road or rail only.

I'm just about to order another one, will be interesting to see how long it takes this time. The previous order was done really early in the morning, so I have probably missed todays cut-off for getting it off on its way, but I'm also not in any hurry. I did go through both of the batteries I have this morning though, which was great to be able to have a break for a bit, let the Anafi cool down & then fly with a fresh juice-pack in place for more investigations at the same place.

I have a hunch, having worked in web design, that the site actually picks up where you are when you open it. Even if you say "no" to the location being allowed on the site, they just look at your ISP address to work out which state you are in. Then it gives you the message you shared above, which I also got. When I asked in the store about that, it's common for stock that ships from the online sales warehouse only apparently, or things that aren't available, for whatever reason, in certain stores or states.

Mine was delivered by Toll, a courier company. I'm not sure if they use them for all their deliveries, or just the dangerous goods ones.

Thats pretty much how it works here in Canada from BestBuy. You can only order on line and it always says limited stock. I think they have a central warehouse for on line sales and that is where they are coming from. Took 3 days to ship to me when I ordered one and it came in the mail.
View attachment 1017
Seems to be a universal practice for many online sales these days.

FYI the battery I purchased from JB-HIFI AU on Thursday night arrived today (Tuesday), was delivered via Toll Express, via "JB Hifi online fulfilment centre", interestingly the package is marked as non hazardous goods and is just in a standard 500g express satchel

FYI the battery I purchased from JB-HIFI AU on Thursday night arrived today (Tuesday), was delivered via Toll Express, via "JB Hifi online fulfilment centre", interestingly the package is marked as non hazardous goods and is just in a standard 500g express satchel
As Pete said above, "that makes no sense!"

I am not sure what "makes no sense" ? just describing my dealings with buying the battery from JB Hifi AU via the online store?

I guess in the end, it doesnt help the original posters chasing batterys in NZ...

I assumed it to mean that posting them without a dangerous goods notice made no sense, but I can't speak for Pete.

Oh I guess they just do what ever is cheapest / they probably are not aware of the rules around posting batteries, was dispatched via Victoria yesterday and arrived in Perth today, so would be express AIR delivery, I am not complaining, going to need to purchase another battery soon, so good to know delivery is fast

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 6
Oh I guess they just do what ever is cheapest / they probably are not aware of the rules around posting batteries, was dispatched via Victoria yesterday and arrived in Perth today, so would be express AIR delivery, I am not complaining, going to need to purchase another battery soon, so good to know delivery is fast
Mine is exactly the same! Apart from the order number details. No mention of Li-ion batteries at all. The courier call centre person I spoke with said that they should be labelled as Li-ion batteries, so they could be stored separately with minimal risk of a fire spreading through the cargo holds. Different courier company though, so maybe different OH&S procedures there.

It's all so confusing considering that it's perfectly okay for me to board a flight with all my photography gear, including computer, tablet, camera & flash batteries that are all Li-ion & to store a good part of that in the luggage sections above the seats! :unsure:

Reactions: Efliernz
I’m not complaining - it just doesn’t make sense to me how companies say they won’t post because of laws... then ignore them.
Us Kiwis aren’t getting looked after... not the fault of anyone here lol. Awesome that you guys are getting you batteries.
You definitely are getting the raw end of the stick there, Pete. You would think that if a product launched somewhere, that there would also follow to be the accessories & spares for it soon after, if not at the same time as the launch.:(

Anyone know of somewhere that would supply additional batteries for the Anafi in New Zealand?
All stockists of the drone I have tried offer no accessories, so a bit stuck on how to buy one at a semi-reasonable price (Amazon May be an option but they seem to be after market batteries, at around US$130...)

Cheers

Neil

Spotted on the AliExpress app this afternoon... Anafi batteries! $NZ 200 each but they are at least there.

Also... I’ve asked a Trademe seller if they can supply them. Just waiting for the reply... seller MYNT in Tauranga

Attachments

• 0DD7EAA8-C315-45DF-AD84-9334EEDE134A.png
    0DD7EAA8-C315-45DF-AD84-9334EEDE134A.png
    720.8 KB · Views: 6
Good information from many!
Parrot finally replied and gave me the name of the distributor in NZ - different from the company using parrot.net.nz.
Sadly they haven’t supplied anything Parrot for two years and were surprised by my call...
Parrot are reconsidering where to direct me...

Reactions: Efliernz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood