Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rain/wetness limit for the Parrot? Also drying if wet..

MightyMuffins

Reaction score
As I said I in other threads I am a meteorologist and have interest in using this anafi a lot for storm chasing and video before storms arrival in conjunctionwith my other tripod camera....want those shots above the tree lines, etc.

So my question is how does this anafi parrot handle getting wet? Obviously not stupid enough to fly it in the rain but if I accidently get caught in a pop up shower or if it gets wet after landing and putting it away I am wondering how the motors will handle getting wet and the how you guys handle drying the drone before using it again. Is it as simple as just letting it air dry as I am thinking? :)

Thanks

Augustine's Anafi sat in a tree for 6 months in a Canadian winter and still works fine except for the damage caused by the crash itself. I've seen other videos in light rain or fog with no apparent problems.

However, I would never fly mine deliberately in rain, but it seems that it could handle it. Putting it away wet is an entirely different proposition! If mine got wet in a fast moving shower exactly like I experienced an hour ago, after shutting it off and bringing it inside I would use a hair dryer on low to thoroughly dry it.

With my previous practice drones, crashes into the snow were routine, and I used a Q-tip twisted into a point to suck little beads of water from wherever I could reach in the motor housings. With the Anafi, the only place you could reach with a Q-tip is the top of the motors, and the hair dryer would probably work better. Other areas of concern would be the hinges on the legs and the camera gimbals.

Last edited:
Augustine's Anafi sat in a tree for 6 months in a Canadian winter and still works fine except for the damage caused by the crash itself. I've seen other videos in light rain or fog with no apparent problems.

However, I would never fly mine deliberately in rain, but it seems that it could handle it. Putting it away wet is an entirely different proposition! If mine got wet in a fast moving shower exactly like I experienced an hour ago, after shutting it off and bringing it inside I would use a hair dryer on low to thoroughly dry it.

With my previous practice drones, crashes into the snow were routine, and I used a Q-tip twisted into a point to suck little beads of water from wherever I could reach in the motor housings. With the Anafi, the only place you could reach with a Q-tip is the top of the motors, and the hair dryer would probably work better. Other areas of concern would be the hinges on the legs and the camera gimbals.
Yeah I was always curious how a decent accidently rain does with the props. Like I am not sure if the props are spinning so fast that water can't get in there (till it stops) ...then then you have the worry that is just adding more water onto the joints for the legs and literally the body of it itself and as you said the camera gimbal. I would be curious to know if someone really has done some hardcore test on the drone in a accidental downpour if they got caught in it how dry the motors were kept and if the props almost created a shield.

Well, I saw one video of the Anafi crashing into the ocean (salt water as far as I could tell) and being fished out, thoroughly rinsed with fresh water and dried very carefully over several days (compressed air first, then rice, changed out a few times with the drone wrapped in a towel). It survived! Not something I would ever try. And of course it could have been faked.

As far as the spinning props keeping water out of the motors, the hubs are where the water would enter and thus not much protected by the blades. My take is that fog or drizzle would be tolerated with a thorough drying regimen but moderate rain maybe less so. I'm certainly not going to be the Guinea pig on this! :oops:

Well, no clue why one would be flying the drone over the ocean water cause that is just asking for trouble with the winds more shifting and faster with the less friction over the water.

If mine was to accidentally get wet,I would place it in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice to dry out.I have also used a product called Corrosion X on my RC float planes in the past and have never had an electronics problem from water spray or condensation.Used on my motors , receivers,servos,and all connectors.Read product info and reviews before using.
My major concern chasing storms with the Anafi would be adverse conditions such as unexpected wind gusts,microbursts,etc.

If mine was to accidentally get wet,I would place it in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice to dry out.I have also used a product called Corrosion X on my RC float planes in the past and have never had an electronics problem from water spray or condensation.Used on my motors , receivers,servos,and all connectors.Read product info and reviews before using.
My major concern chasing storms with the Anafi would be adverse conditions such as unexpected wind gusts,microbursts,etc.
Hehe that is why you always keep an eye on the forecast and have an anemometer on hand. Although if you are storm chasing a cell, like the Midwest....the key for the drone is not getting caught in the RFD and inflow which can easily extend miles outside the storm. Usually that is too strong to fly in anyway unless you have a more powerful Racing Drone that can handle the 60 MPH winds.

Also that Corrosion X. You use it with the Parrot as well? How effective is it cause I assume you spray that right into the leg motors and leads for the anafi batteries??

Last edited:
Now... If you fly during light rain, the water will be pushed away from the motor about the speed of the propeller. Here I didn't see a problem. If after time really a baering defect (you should make a better check in between), you can change them.
I see more issues at the Battery /PCB connector and the PCB himself.
After insert the battery, go sure, that a tape or something else overlaped the battery and chassis, so that no water come in between.
Maybe secure also the PCB better under the battery (where you can see the SD card).
Camera /Gimbal? I have just no nö idea.... the risk is there, that water left with the time some corrosion lines...

Now... If you fly during light rain, the water will be pushed away from the motor about the speed of the propeller. Here I didn't see a problem. If after time really a baering defect (you should make a better check in between), you can change them.
I see more issues at the Battery /PCB connector and the PCB himself.
After insert the battery, go sure, that a tape or something else overlaped the battery and chassis, so that no water come in between.
Maybe secure also the PCB better under the battery (where you can see the SD card).
Camera /Gimbal? I have just no nö idea.... the risk is there, that water left with the time some corrosion lines...
Well on the corrosion aspect and water Thanev above mentioned products like corrosion x but I don't know if anyone has put that on their anafis/drones or even tested it.

Hi there

It doesn´t get more hardcore than this ?:

cheers friend

Yeah I was always curious how a decent accidently rain does with the props. Like I am not sure if the props are spinning so fast that water can't get in there (till it stops) ...then then you have the worry that is just adding more water onto the joints for the legs and literally the body of it itself and as you said the camera gimbal. I would be curious to know if someone really has done some hardcore test on the drone in a accidental downpour if they got caught in it how dry the motors were kept and if the props almost created a shield.
rrrr

Hi there

It doesn´t get more hardcore than this ?:

cheers friend

rrrr
One issue is that is a crapton of water at once on a corner and not so much a more accurate presentation. I mean sure it did shut off after literally being drenched but that is only cause one corner with that much water and weight killed the aerodynamics. Rain falls more linear. :| Hard to say if the motor or drone failed cause of the water or if it was it was the crash landing.

So basically it is cool it will still fly (this idiot only gave it 1 hr and literally did something stupid and not let the batteries dry which I am assuming the flashing) but this is KIND of inaccurate in a sense in a real world setting and more like abusing the drone.

hehe also we still need to know on if a corrosive presevention agent would help. :D

Reactions: vekthor
That guy had a couple of videos out with the Anafi. One he folded in one arm to see if it would fly which it did. This water video he was a complete idiot and no rain storm will put so much water on a UAV at one time. He then blames Parrot for making a cheap UAV, what a joke he is. I agree he never dried it out properly or just the crash could have killed the Anafi. No matter how you look at it that guy is a complete bone head from top to bottom.

This stuff here is widely used in the RC community. If you have the skills to take apart your Anafi this stuff will protect it from water.

That guy had a couple of videos out with the Anafi. One he folded in one arm to see if it would fly which it did. This water video he was a complete idiot and no rain storm will put so much water on a UAV at one time. He then blames Parrot for making a cheap UAV, what a joke he is. I agree he never dried it out properly or just the crash could have killed the Anafi. No matter how you look at it that guy is a complete bone head from top to bottom.

This stuff here is widely used in the RC community. If you have the skills to take apart your Anafi this stuff will protect it from water.

hehe yeah. Hey Agustine I saw that stuff before....it's brushed on line nail polish I believe. Would you say one can put that on without taking apart the drone? I mean just brushing the top of the motors, those copper springs, and battery connector nibs. Those I think are the only true exposed corrosive parts. I mean the motors are housed in a way it should stay within the circle of the parrot motor housing and not get inside (except the motor shaft which is likely just wiring in the outer leg below it.

I would not trust this video nor the guy behind.
Abusing a drone like this would not prove any real world scenario. There's no proper thought behind of this video other than wrecking a completely fine drone for the views.
Dumping a bottle of water directly on top of a motor would not show you anything, it's like flying under a flowing water like from a tap.
Rain is much more sparse and not falling like this.
The air being moved around by the propellers is enough to push away sprinkling rain, but at the end it's an electronic device without any sorts of certification of IP rating whatsoever.

In my opinion the kind of water resistance what the Anafi has, is enough for you to come home and land your drone if you get caught in the rain, but not for more.
Personally if I see the sign of some slight rain, I'll just delay the flight, until the sky is clear.

I would not trust this video nor the guy behind.
Abusing a drone like this would not prove any real world scenario. There's no proper thought behind of this video other than wrecking a completely fine drone for the views.
Dumping a bottle of water directly on top of a motor would not show you anything, it's like flying under a flowing water like from a tap.
Rain is much more sparse and not falling like this.
The air being moved around by the propellers is enough to push away sprinkling rain, but at the end it's an electronic device without any sorts of certification of IP rating whatsoever.

In my opinion the kind of water resistance what the Anafi has, is enough for you to come home and land your drone if you get caught in the rain, but not for more.
Personally if I see the sign of some slight rain, I'll just delay the flight, until the sky is clear.
Actually I just posted a theory about rain-X on a drone in the general discussions. It's a crazy idea but it's possible this could work.

hehe yeah. Hey Agustine I saw that stuff before....it's brushed on line nail polish I believe. Would you say one can put that on without taking apart the drone? I mean just brushing the top of the motors, those copper springs, and battery connector nibs. Those I think are the only true exposed corrosive parts. I mean the motors are housed in a way it should stay within the circle of the parrot motor housing and not get inside (except the motor shaft which is likely just wiring in the outer leg below it.

Motors are the least of your worries, they will rum underwater. Brushed or brush less both run under water and we used to break in brushed motors under water to help lubricate the brush. Any electronic part can be coated with that stuff and if you cannot get it all my guess some is better then none. Trouble with the Anafi it is very small to work on but I guess it can be done. Guys use it on their mini racing quads so if you have the skills go for it.

Reactions: MightyMuffins
Motors are the least of your worries, they will rum underwater. Brushed or brush less both run under water and we used to break in brushed motors under water to help lubricate the brush. Any electronic part can be coated with that stuff and if you cannot get it all my guess some is better then none. Trouble with the Anafi it is very small to work on but I guess it can be done. Guys use it on their mini racing quads so if you have the skills go for it.
Now does that stuff dry like a thin rubber when dry, like hard nail polish, or just normal and it will dry up without any issue?

It would be fine to coat the battery threads and in usb port?

3rdly...could you just paint that on the entire drone too?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schaefer73