Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Setting up Flight Plan waypoints as fly by

tcg1159

Reaction score
New member and owner here, has anyone figured out how to build a Flight Plan so that the drone will fly a continuous flight and not stop at each waypoint.
Thanks!

It does seem to momentarily come to a stop and then accelerate again. It would be nice to change that. (The most distant corners where it says 2.5 m/s is vertical speed I think.)
Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

If you have right angles in your flight plan sure it will most definitely slow down to change direction and speed. It is just normal. If you make a nice transition it will not. I have done it many times and it will not stop or slow down.

It does seem to momentarily come to a stop and then accelerate again. It would be nice to change that. (The most distant corners where it says 2.5 m/s is vertical speed I think.)
View attachment 297View attachment 296

I'm pretty sure it will succeed in flying continuously if you select "Automatic progressive course" as yes in "Plan options". ;)

Regards Leif.

I still haven't quite figured out why it stops so completely at some waypoints and not at others. If the waypoint is a minor course correction then usually there is minimal delay but if there is anything else (altitude change, tilt adjustment) sometimes there's a big delay. I never noticed this with the bebops. I'm using an ipad, so there's that.

Now I've been watching some recordings I've made with FlightPlan and there are actually several places where speed seems to be putting down by a waypoint. It looks as it is worst when the flight direction changed over 45 degrees. Normally, I make a change of direction with at least 2 waypoints in order not to get too fast a pan with the camera.

I'm using FreeFlight 6 for Android.

Regards Leif.

I'm pretty sure it will succeed in flying continuously if you select "Automatic progressive course" as yes in "Plan options".

This might be it. In the example you can see it's not particularly related to the waypoint angle, as it came to a momentary stop at the left waypoint (4:30). The much sharper angles at the next two may have actually been smoother as they were using progressive course.

This might be it. In the example you can see it's not particularly related to the waypoint angle, as it came to a momentary stop at the left waypoint (4:30). The much sharper angles at the next two may have actually been smoother as they were using progressive course.

It's a little hard for me to see where your mission starts and ends. However, there are some small stops in the flight where the speed is almost 0 m/s. You're right in this should not be so.

I can also see in my log there is a stop of close to 0 m/s every time there is a waypoint. If I fly at 10 m/s on the mission, the speed of most waypoints is 5 m/s according to my log. I just did see that on my video, as I normally fly high and video landscapes.

The fact we must have complained to the Parrot about that! The Flight Planner has to be a much better since we've paid a lot of money to get it. ;)

I have FreeFlight Pro for my Disco, but have not played with the FlightPlan department yet. However, I'm sure my Disco does not come close to 0 m/s when it rounds a waypoint. :D

Regards Leif.

Arrived here after also noticing that the Anafi pretty much stoppped each time it reached a waypoint...I suppose that helps with smooth panning but it's a bit distracting...Is there a workaround for this ? Thanks !

EDIT - I did have "auto progressive course" enabled but there are indeed a couple of sharp angles. It's too bad the software does not create "curves" like Litchi...

Arrived here after also noticing that the Anafi pretty much stoppped each time it reached a waypoint...I suppose that helps with smooth panning but it's a bit distracting...Is there a workaround for this ? Thanks !

EDIT - I did have "auto progressive course" enabled but there are indeed a couple of sharp angles. It's too bad the software does not create "curves" like Litchi...
Based on my fairly limited experience (with only about 5 flight plans) the drone does stop at waypoints where the next leg is programmed for a different speed. So if 3 consecutive legs are at, for example, 5 m/s, 6 m/s, 7 m/s then it doesn't accelerate through these but instead stops at each one, which is really annoying.

From reading the forum there are other reasons for the stops, some of which make more sense.

Flight plan does seem to be imperfect in certain respects.

Reactions: Zamzara
Ah that would explain some stops then since I had it at 5m/s and then 10m/s but the angles come into play it seems, maybe if it's >45 degrees and with a speed change ?

I'm pretty sure it will succeed in flying continuously if you select "Automatic progressive course" as yes in "Plan options". ;)

Regards Leif.

I know, this is a old topic.
But:
I tested today a flight plan which was converted from Litchi, but I don't think that can be the reason, and I had with "Automatic progressive course" ON, and with "OFF" the same short stops on wp's with just slightly direction changes.

Any other idea, how to fix this?

I've experimented with Flight Plan quite a bit but I've never been able to get rid of all the unexpected delays. Parrot needs to fix it.

I should chime in here - I experience the same with Flightplan.

There does not seem to be much logic to why certain waypoints cause pauses and others are handled very smoothly.

One thing I do now is to add many waypoints especially in turns - in an attempt to reduce the chance of unexpected pausing.

Hey,

2018, then back in 2020. It's 2023.
iOS - iphone 12 mini
freeflight v6.7.5
anafi v1.8.2
skycontroller v1.8.1

as you can notice on this first video

second video with very close waypoint + camera don't face up at the end

the drone completely stop on WayPoint and don't adjust camera (only at the first waypoint !)
Maybe it just didn't took the option progressive course.. But how can I be sure it's on ? ^^' because it really looking like it didn't turn on somehow.

some ideas how to get the camera properlly looking at the POI ?

thank you !! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut