Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skycontroller 2 not connecting via USB

James Darr

Reaction score
I have three android smartphones....All above android version 6.0....Two really cheap ones,and a good Samsung Note 4.....For some reason,my sky controller 2 only connects via USB to 1 of the 3 phones....And its a very cheap phone with less than half a gig of ram,so it lags terribly....But it does work,and connects as soon as I turn on the sky controller automatically....When I try to use the other two phones,mainly my Samsung note 4.They dont connect via USB....Says "Controller not connected" I'm using the same usb wire that that one phone works on....All three phones will connect via WIFI no problem....I've been stumped on this forever....I'd like to use my samsung galaxy note 4 with this....Both phones wont make the app open like the other phone does,and still won't work even when I open it myself...Acts like theres no wire connected on both phones!!!! It seems like its stuck on this one phone,and is ignoring the others.....Any ideas?????

Last edited:
Hi there
On the phone, try going to settings, then enter ´enable programmer mode/option´ and in usb related sub-section, changing the usb mode (charging only/photo transfer, etc) if available. Try them all on a sequence.
It usualy does the job. Hope it helps.

Hi there
On the phone, try going to settings, then enter ´enable programmer mode/option´ and in usb related sub-section, changing the usb mode (charging only/photo transfer, etc) if available. Try them all on a sequence.
It usualy does the job. Hope it helps.
Thanks I'll try.....Should usb de-bugging be on or off?

Hi
On some phones it must be enabled. From my experience, usually older ones.
?

Hi i have the same problem only with the iphone 6 it wont connect but instead charges the battery , I have a Lenova android tablet which connects just fine , but a bit bulky , if there are similar settings for the Iphone 6 could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance , Bob

I have had the same problem for 6 months. I have a galaxy Samsung note 9. It used to work fine with my current cable but stopped Working with the sky controller 2. Have been in contact with parrot who told me to drain the battery and disconnect it etc. But still doesn’t work.

after I drain The battery then recharge I can connect the two together but on phone it only says ‘charging‘ and I can’t change it to data transfer.
same happens with iPhone and iPad and other cables so maybe the controller has a setting stuck in its memory....

unless anyone has other ideas?

using the drone with just my phone is ok, but is obviously harder to navigate and the distance it can fly is less.

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? I have a new Parrot Disco and the controller does not connect to anything, it just shows a red light, the only way to turn it off is by pressing the power button for 13 seconds. I can't find any information on the issue anywhere, I am hating myself for buying an EOL product.

Occasionally, My iPhone won’t connect to SkyController 2. After rebooting phone, connects instantly.

Try rebooting phone, good luck.
Paul

Hi there James Darr & Elfman1977,

I have had a similar problem with the SC2 not connecting, and just giving me the solid red light. I've found the cause was down to me changing the WiFi name and password in Freeflight Pro, thereby causing an issue with the SSID/WiFi profile of the SC2. I didn't understand this either, but there's a very useful video by AnthonyVLOG (
) where he explains the problem in the pinned comments (pasted below just in case the link fails).

I followed his steps and it worked, my Bebop 2 now has its own secure WiFi link whether I'm using only the mobile, only the SC2, or both connected.

FYI: I'm using Bebop2 f/w version 4.7.1, Skycontroller2 version 1.0.9, Freeflight Pro version 5.2.7

AnthonyVLOG's comments:

ANTHONYVLOG

3 years ago

*********IMPORTANT********* If you are using a controller, SC1 or SC2 and can not connect to the BEBOP drone after creating a password. Simply go to FREEFLIGHT PRO tap on Connect.

1. Once search is done it will show your drone but wont be able to connect.
2. Tap on Forget
3. Close and reopn FREEFLIGHT PRO
4. Tap on connect
5. Once the drone is found tap on the drone to conenct to it. It will ask you for a password. Enter the password and the drone will be connected to the sky controller.

This happens because the WiFi Profile was previously saved on the sky controller or your device without a password, but using the same SSID. So when the same SSID is identifed the devices and sky controllers will try to connect to the drone with the old profile and will be unsuccessful. By tapping "forget" it removes the profile. Then it will allow you to create a new profile for connecting to the drone. You will always be able to connect after this point automatically when the SC/SC2 and Drone are turnd on." End Quote

Hope this helps

MAKE SURE YOUR CABLE IS "CHARGE AND SYNC (or data) CAPABLE! They don't connect 2 of the 4 USB pins if its charge only... the other 2 pins are what does the data transferring... if you bought a cheap dollar store one it won't work! Just a thought hope this helps!

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? I have a new Parrot Disco and the controller does not connect to anything, it just shows a red light, the only way to turn it off is by pressing the power button for 13 seconds. I can't find any information on the issue anywhere, I am hating myself for buying an EOL product.
I had an issue like this, it would connect and work for a min then all the sudden during the flight it would disconnect and the controller would go red.... SUPER FRUSTRATING luckily I was above the trees or RTH would have sent me into the twigs. ANYWAYS, the issue for me is my USB connector port on the SC2, I have used my controller pretty rough packing it and dropping and rolling around In the car... so the little shroud around the acutal little white thing with the pins on it has cracked and its letting my cord shift around and (im assuming) crossing wires or shorting the controller therefor freaking it out temporarily.... I usually have to disconnect my phon and restart the controller for it to come back.... let me know if this helps!

Hi Elfman1977, check my reply in James Darr's post:
Skycontroller 2 not connecting via USB

It fixed my problem, but while I was trying to figure it out, many others with a similar problem found the cause(s) were down to bad USB cables and fragile USB connectors on the PCB inside the SC2.

I too was tearing my hair out when I first got this problem, and was searching around for a new SC2 (at £100+), thinking it was knackered, but don't get too depressed about this being an EOL product. There are many advantages, loads of drones & users out there, and chances are someone has already had & solved whatever problem you're having. What made me choose the BB2 over a newer drone was its pedigree and robustness (no silly folding legs or fragile gimbals), decent app (for its time), and the fact that parts (even new ones) are still pretty readily available.

Hope this helps

If you have solved the problem, why not post what it was & how you fixed it so we can all learn a bit more?

Went and got a USB male to female extention cable .. cut off the female end and soldered the wires to board after desoldering connections to the old USB plug... WORKS FABULOUS and its flexible so I just zipped it out of the way and now dont have to ever worry about my cord being in it and breaking it if it gets bumped!

The soldering of the USB port is usually poor. Mine broke clean off and the two tabs that hold it to the board were broken. I used a small piece of thin gauge wire to make a holder around it and soldered that in place.
Been working perfectly since then.

Attachments

• 0522201818 (Medium).jpg
    0522201818 (Medium).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 0522201818a (Medium).jpg
    0522201818a (Medium).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members