Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What you should know about Anafi batteries

People on this forum actually believe that old firmwares cannot crash... think about that for a few seconds. Would you trust those kind of “experts” to educate you on battery maintenance ??
The old firmware is good not because it doesn't crash, but because it's not buggy. I became an "expert" by not installing the new firmware, because the old firmware did its job perfectly and what works doesn't need to be fixed. I have watched many, many users upgrade their drones, then due to a bug, the country selection on their drone (CE, FCC) locked up and then the firmware issued to fix it failed to connect during the upgrade. This was fixed with another update and they updated the battery firmware. After that there were many, many complaints about Anafis simply falling out of the air due to the battery. After this was also fixed with a patch, more bugs appeared in the previously well functioning drones. GPS reception problems, climbing up and down in tracking mode, camera wobble, and many other strange phenomena.
I don't have to be particularly clever to conclude that no flawless firmware has been released since 1.6.3, and no major new knowledge has been released since then, only patches and optimizations that have resulted in more and more bugs.
Just because the manufacturer asks you to update doesn't mean you have to, as long as your device works as expected.
By the way, I was trained as an electrician and I read a lot, looking for information on how LiPo batteries work. My own Anafi batteries are in excellent health, 97% -94%, thanks to the methods I have shared.
So I don't understand why you are so cynical.

Last edited:
The old firmware is good not because it doesn't crash, but because it's not buggy. I became an "expert" by not installing the new firmware, because the old firmware did its job perfectly and what works doesn't need to be fixed. I have watched many, many users upgrade their drones, then due to a bug, the country selection on their drone (CE, FCC) locked up and then the firmware issued to fix it failed to connect during the upgrade. This was fixed with another update and they updated the battery firmware. After that there were many, many complaints about Anafis simply falling out of the air due to the battery. After this was also fixed with a patch, more bugs appeared in the previously well functioning drones. GPS reception problems, climbing up and down in tracking mode, camera wobble, and many other strange phenomena.
I don't have to be particularly clever to conclude that no flawless firmware has been released since 1.6.3, and no major new knowledge has been released since then, only patches and optimizations that have resulted in more and more bugs.
Just because the manufacturer asks you to update doesn't mean you have to, as long as your device works as expected.
By the way, I was trained as an electrician and I read a lot, looking for information on how LiPo batteries work. My own Anafi batteries are in excellent health, 97% -94%, thanks to the methods I have shared.
So I don't understand why you are so cynical.

I am not even going to read this

I have one small question left @Gipsz Jakab

how do half charge cycles affect the battery. I have flown my batteries down to 25% each time. Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to charge them back up to 60% and then recharge them just before the flight, or if I can leave them at 25% for a few days.

cells are 'damaged' when stored above or below 40-65% plus when it's above room temperature

I have one small question left @Gipsz Jakab

how do half charge cycles affect the battery. I have flown my batteries down to 25% each time. Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to charge them back up to 60% and then recharge them just before the flight, or if I can leave them at 25% for a few days.
A couple of days is not that long, but it's best to keep it around half full and charge it just before you fly.
Since both extremes increase unwanted chemical transformations, it's best to go in the middle.
It's because of such care that some people have very good batteries for a very long time, while others report drones shutting down in mid-air because of worn out batteries.

Reactions: Deleted member 3201
What you should know about Anafi batteries:
  • Type of LiHV is a high voltage Lithium polymer
  • 2 cells / battery = 2S (2 are connected in series)
  • Max. capacity 2700mAh
  • Max. cell voltage 4.35V / cell 8.7V / package (LiPo 4.2V 8.4V / package)
  • Nominall voltage 3.8V / cell (LiPo 3.7V / cell) 7.6V / pack (LiPo 7.4 / pack)
  • Min. voltage (below which it is severely damaged) 3.2V / cell 6.4V / package (this is also the voltage of the Anafi cut-off)
  • Recommended maximum discharge is 80% of the total capacity (2700-80% = 540mAh) then approx. 3.65V / cell 7.3V / pack remains in the battery.
  • So it is advisable to land by at least 20%, then the lifespan will not be significantly reduced. Under 3.5V / cell 7V / package, harmful processes are already accelerated.
  • If it is still below 20%, it is recommended to charge it to at least 60-65% 3.8V / cell (7.6V / pack) within 20 minutes (For example with a powerbank, on the spot)
  • Charging according to 1C (2700mAh x1) max. With 3A. As the internal temperature has a negative effect on the service life, it is recommended to charge less (2A mobile phone charger) or the USB socket of the computer.
  • Storage 3.8V / cell (7.6V / pack) at 62-65% in a cool dry place
  • It is not recommended to leave it in a fully charged state, even if the built-in smart circuit automatically discharges to a 65% charge level. This few days of 100% charge also has a detrimental effect on longevity.
  • Life life 200-150 cycles (but only if always done according to all specifications), shorter than 300 cycles of LiPo
  • According to some sources, it is recommended to discharge only up to 50% during the first 5 cycles (this initiation)
  • Its internal resistance (IR) increases continuously during aging (anode, cathode oxidation), therefore an increasing proportion of the transmitted and absorbed energy is converted into heat and therefore its capacity decreases. 6-7 mohm is still a good value, needs to be replaced above 20 miliohm.

In summary:
  • max. 4.35V (8.7V) 100%
  • nominal and storage: 3.8V (7.6V) 65%
  • min. safe: 3.6V (7.2V) 20%
  • absolute min. (shutdown) 3.2V (6.4V) 0-2%

% Values may vary for Anafi. These values are only valid for new and faultless batteries.
Voltage values, on the other hand, are important! These show its true state.
Absolute noob question time:

Is the red wire connected to the positive and the black to the negative or is it the other way around?

Kind regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davecat44