Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SD Card Error After UPDATE TO NEW APP/FW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be a difference between Mac & Windows in regards to this, as I am on a Mac system & if I format the micro SD cards to FAT32 they are never recognised! If however, I format them as ExFAT they are instantly recognised & able to be formatted by the Anafi.
I didn't know that (I'm an Windows user), but always had in mind from the "SD card and MAC (SOLVED)" thread that on MAC formating with "MS-DOS" (seemed to be FAT32) was the solution for a readable SD card. In that thread (I don't find it in the moment) ExFAT was mentioned as NOT working.
Edit: Found the mentioned thread:

Last edited:
I didn't know that (I'm an Windows user), but always had in mind from the "SD card and MAC (SOLVED)" thread that on MAC formating with "MS-DOS" (seemed to be FAT32) was the solution for a readable SD card. In that thread (I don't find it in the moment) ExFAT was mentioned as NOT working.
Edit: Found the mentioned thread:
I still don't know if there is or isn't a difference for Mac & Windows with formatting the micro SD cards as FAT32. I'm suggesting that there might be, as with my iMac, the micro SD cards are never recognised by the Anafi if I format them as FAT32, but, if I format them as ExFAT (what FAT32 became nearly 10 years ago) they are recognised by the Anafi & I can format them with it.

In the thread you mentioned I spoke about this briefly & then gave up on it, as it was never reliable, so I was always removing my micro SD card to be able to transfer from it. So far since the most recent FW update (in all of 2 uses), it seems to be working properly, just plugging into the Anafi directly. I'll keep you posted if that changes in the future with transferring to my iMac.

Reactions: Ross and Dirk_ANAFI
Where did you guys with problems buy your cards from? There's lots of fakes out there. Just a thought.

What I know is that Microsoft has a patent for exFAT and everyone who uses that format must pay a license fee. And Apple reportedly won't pay for anything from Microsoft, so exFat is not a format Apple uses. Therefore, something Apple produced cannot read / write / format exFAT without third-party external software.

FAT, FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 are license free.

It should be the apparent truth about Apple's lack of support for exFAT and thus the use of SDXC memory cards.

Regards, Leif.

• Wow
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
What I know is that Microsoft has a patent for exFAT and everyone who uses that format must pay a license fee. And Apple reportedly won't pay for anything from Microsoft, so exFat is not a format Apple uses. Therefore, something Apple produced cannot read / write / format exFAT without third-party external software.

FAT, FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 are license free.

It should be the apparent truth about Apple's lack of support for exFAT and thus the use of SDXC memory cards.

Regards, Leif.
Well I'm confused then, because on my iMac I have the option to reformat any disc as ExFAT & have used it since 2010 as it's the only way I can share anything with Windows computer users whenever I need to plug a disc or memory stick into their computers! I have no plug-ins to allow the use of ExFAT on my iMac, just the inbuilt Disk Utility app which continues offering this as an option.

See the following screenshot.

Thanks Leif @Landbo ! I just learnt something, after searching for information on the internet for Apple using ExFAT I learnt that I should be formatting all disks 32GB or less in size as FAT32 & all those over that as ExFAT. I didn't know that! You learn something new every day. ;)

Thanks Krusty,
  • Tech support had me reset the drone (press/hold power button till LEDs are red)
  • I deleted and reinstalled the app--same thing.
  • Error didn't go away, even with different SD Card
Here are my screen shots:

View attachment 1292

I touch the "Error" and go to the next screen--it doesn't have tabs SD Card and Local

View attachment 1293

I tried a different blank card--SanDisk Extreme 32GB, formatted to FAT32. Same error.

Something must be wrong with my drone.
I’m having exactly the same issues. Tried multiple cards from Sandisk and all the same SD cars error.... it’s so annoying.... these cards are brand new and yet I get the error, despite them working perfectly in my GoPro
My humblest apologies to you both! :oops:

Out of interest, I tried reformatting 2 of my spare micro SD cards, one in ExFAT & the other as FAT32. Neither of them can be formatted or recognised by the Anafi & I also got the exact same Gallery screen message as @Ud6Eoe2k shared in his screenshots above when I pressed on the SD card error field.

It's a definite error in the coding somewhere! :eek:

Again, my humblest apologies to you both for not trying this yesterday & verifying your troubles. If you both have cards that have worked before, just continue using them. I have 4 cards formatted as ExFAT & they all still work, these 2 I tried this with today will have to sit it out until Parrot work out a fix for us.

Reactions: Landbo
Has anybody tried SDFormater? Its a little program made by the SDcard people. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Memory Card Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using formatting tools provided with individual operating systems. In general, formatting tools provided with operating systems can format various storage media including SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards, but it may not be optimized for SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards and it may result in lower performance.

• Love
My humblest apologies to you both! :oops:

Out of interest, I tried reformatting 2 of my spare micro SD cards, one in ExFAT & the other as FAT32. Neither of them can be formatted or recognised by the Anafi & I also got the exact same Gallery screen message as @Ud6Eoe2k shared in his screenshots above when I pressed on the SD card error field.

It's a definite error in the coding somewhere! :eek:

Again, my humblest apologies to you both for not trying this yesterday & verifying your troubles. If you both have cards that have worked before, just continue using them. I have 4 cards formatted as ExFAT & they all still work, these 2 I tried this with today will have to sit it out until Parrot work out a fix for us.

It doesn't matter Alex. We can all be wrong.

I forgot to mention that in the specifications of an SDXC card it says it should be formatted with exFAT!

Then I can let the next "bomb" fall by stating that Google won't either pay a fee to Microsoft in the same way as Apple. This means that Android does not officially support SDXC cards (exFAT). However, the damage is not so big since you can always format the same SD card in FAT32 and everyone is happy, except Microsoft!

It is also the story of why a video clip cannot be > 4 GB because all camera devices manufacturers obviously want it to be possible to play a video clip from their camera on any manufacturer's operating system and FAT32 does not allow a file to be > 4 GB. At the same time, they also do not like to pay Microsoft fees for using exFAT.

My guess is that Parrot does it in the same way as Apple and Google and all the camera manufacturers, they also won't either pay a fee to Microsoft for using their exFAT. :)

Regards, Leif.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried SDFormater? Its a little program made by the SDcard people. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Memory Card Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using formatting tools provided with individual operating systems. In general, formatting tools provided with operating systems can format various storage media including SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards, but it may not be optimized for SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards and it may result in lower performance.

I guess the excuse with the optimization of the SD card is just an official excuse not to expose Microsoft as greedy with their fee on exFAT. ;)

Regards, Leif.

• Haha
I’ve just formatted my Sandisk 64gb card again. I bought this from Sandisk on Amazon. The card works in any other device but the drone.

I’ve tried multiple ways of formatting it, but each time the drone gives the same error.

As you can see from the pics, the gallery offers no option to format the card while in the drone

Attachments

• 2FE5CA53-3B37-469A-B90B-298C60B6CD53.png
    2FE5CA53-3B37-469A-B90B-298C60B6CD53.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 81DBFFA5-7B7D-4991-8BD9-DE87B7A078BB.png
    81DBFFA5-7B7D-4991-8BD9-DE87B7A078BB.png
    161 KB · Views: 11
  • 0E3CB88A-8B66-4C67-9F17-4250A6B25725.png
    0E3CB88A-8B66-4C67-9F17-4250A6B25725.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
I guess the excuse with the optimization of the SD card is just an official excuse not to expose Microsoft as greedy with their fee on exFAT. ;)

Regards, Leif.

Just downloaded it and trying this option now, will report back

Ok used the formatting SD app, no difference at all. Still the same error...

But in other news, no need to now try and fix the card error issue, I’ve just accidentally snapped the card so.... I will order a new one...

Annoying

Original poster here.

I formatted the 32GB card using Windows to exFAT.

STILL get the error!

I used the format function built into Windows (right click from file explorer)

This problem is also being reported on the Facebook groups for Anafi. Seems the stock card is fine but any new ones are having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320