Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SD Card Error After UPDATE TO NEW APP/FW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean with "that [formatting] tool was removed"?
Formatting in Anafi is still possible, but not all pre-formatted cards seem to be recognized.
So you will probably be able to format the card, you formatted in 6.4.0, now also in 6.4.1.

I have the same problem, I have talked to Parrot support, and I have come to this conclusion:

Anafi is coded to efficiently write its video and stills to fat32 formatted cards. In previous editions (up to and including 6.4.0) Parrot included a formatting tool. This tool created fat32 cards greater than 32GB specifically for the Anafi. With the introduction of FF 6.4.1 that tool was removed. Unfortunately all cards greater than 32GB come preformatted as either exfat, NTFS, or a fat32 format that is somehow incompatible with the Anafi. With 6.4.0 I had two 64Gb cards that performed quite well. I could capture 4K and only change cards when I had used all three batteries. Shortly after 6.4.1, I lost one card and accidentally formatted the other in a windows laptop as an exfat. I was unable to get the Anafi to recognize any card over 32GB. I then switched to an android tablet that still had 6.4.0 and Violà I was able to format my 64Gb cards in the Anafi and the Anafi recognizes them. sdcard.org format tool v5 only performs exfat and ntfs partitions. Other formatting tools will format high capacity >32GB as fat32 but the Anafi will not recognize them.

Parrot needs to:
  1. Reintroduce the formatting tool
  2. Provide a link to a third party program,
  3. Provide the specific fat32 settings that the Anafi will recognize. OR
  4. Recode the Anafi to accept exfat cards.
The only other option is to purchase cards smaller than 32GB.

Yes, unfortunately, sdcard.org format tool v5 has got removed the ability to format an SDXC card in FAT32, as the old V4.xx had. I have written an email and asked them to make the old version available again as download.

In my Android version of FF6 V6.4.1, it is still possible to format a 64MB SDXC card in Anafi, even if the card is formatted in exFAT.

Regards, Leif.

This is a remarkably stupid issue - I’ve just purchased a new Sandisk 64gb card (listed as supported) and after much hassle have used partitioning software to format to Fat32 (since Windows, and the aforementioned tool don’t support Fat32), and the Anafi refuses to offer me an option to format the card.
I’d really like a solution, hoping Parrot, or another user with a solid idea can come up with something.

Neil

Must be an isolated issue or only certain cards are the problem. I had no issues formating a 128gb Patriot EP via the Anafi with latest update.

Brand new, I have 4 different SD cards. The original from Parrot & 3 Sandisk. Only the parrot card and 1 Sandisk work, the other 2 despite being brand new don’t work

What capacities are these cards that do not work? I assume they are bigger than 4GB?
Have you used a Windows PC or a Mac for (re)formatting them?
Read this and let me know whether it helps with the problem, please.

Hi All,

First, many thanks to everyone for all the great information here! I'm sure having fun with my new Anafi.

I also just got a SanDisk Ultra 64 (listed) and had a hard time getting my Anafi to recognize it, but ultimately had success...

Using a cable connection to the controller, and an Android phone, the latest FF6 still showed a card error, but if I tapped on the card icon I got the option to format the card and it worked!

Things that DID NOT work for me all using a WiFi connection to an Apple phone:
  1. Card formatted as ExFAT in both Mac and Windows machines, using SD Card Formatter software (and the OS's)
  2. Card formatted as FAT32 in a Chromebook
With my Apple phone with a WiFI connection I definitely tapped the SD card icon in FF6 and it DID NOT offer the option to format. But it begs the question if I had used a cable connection to the Apple phone maybe it would have worked? If not, find someone with an Android phone!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Bud

update I took a few photos and my Mac will not read the card, but maybe this is always the case. I've been transferring photos to my phone, then to computer. This is all kinda silly!

Last edited:
Hi all

I was using a Samsung EVO 64GB card on the Anafi with success, although it's only rated as a V10.

I use either a Android Phone with Freeflight 6.4.1 or a iPhone with 6.4.0. My Android phone doesn't fit very well on the Skycontroller so I got a iPhone SE.

I had removed the card and formatted it on a windows machine as FAT32 and when back at the Anafi I got a Red Card error and with no options to proceed from there, while I was using Freeflight on the iPhone.

I got a Linux machine and formatted the card on various FAT flavours with no success getting the card recognised by the Anafi. Then back at the Windows 10 machine also tried the FAT variants still without success getting the card to be recognised by the Anafi.

I then started the Android version of FreeFlight 6.4.1 and surprise, surprise, the same Red Card error, but this time there were options to format the card....which I did and no more problems.....

Just to be sure, I got another EVO64 card that was never used on the Anafi (used previously on a GoPro camera) and the card was not recognised.

This time I used a Mac to format the card on both FAT flavours and no luck getting the card to be recognised by the Anafi, and also no option to format the card on IOS, but the format option was available on Android.

Side note. None of the 64GB cards formatted by the Anafi/Android Freeflight combo are recognised by either Macs or Windows only on Linux. The supplied 16GB card even when formatted on the Anafi is correctly recognised on all computers....

Attached is how Linux "sees" both a 64GB and the 16GB cards that work on the Anafi.

So, I believe the "solution" for now is to format the cards using the Android Freeflight 6.4.1 app.

edit: didn't try the app to format cards from the sd card association

edit2: tried with the latest version of the sd card association tool and it is the same as formatting on pc/Mac, so it's a no go.

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_010345.jpg
    IMG_20190304_010345.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190304_011538.jpg
    IMG_20190304_011538.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Guys, i must say that i’m stuck like you...
Yesterday, i insert a brand new 128 go sd card and my drone got it error with no possibilité to do anything. So i put my last 32 go which i was recording sometimes and after having done some picture and transfering it, i decided to format my SD card which failed during the process..In fact, it got jammed and i had to force kill and close the drone because the formating jammed.
Now, i can’t do anything to make it work again. No option to reformat in FF6. I’ve try so many different thing to reformat on my mac but still have the same error.... So i have no idea what to do right now....
An old 32go is working but is not enough fast and got some disconnection problem. I have the original 16go but...

:-(

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello,
I came across this subject while doing a Google search because like many people I have exactly the same problem since the last update of Parrot on my Anafi drone.
I have a 128GB Scandisk card that worked very well but I made the mistake of formatting it on my Macbook. Since the card is in error and impossible to format it from the Parrot application. I have tried all formats but impossible!
I had my card changed at Amazon thinking it was defective. The new card I received was directly wrong.
I bought a 64GB PNY card and the same problem!
The only card that currently works is the 16GB card provided with the drone at the time of purchase.
I contacted Parrot support and I dare to say that they are really not competent... I have no solution at the moment and they were thinking of changing my drone when the problem comes from their last update!

I have a 128GB Scandisk card that worked very well but I made the mistake of formatting it on my Macbook. Since the card is in error and impossible to format it from the Parrot application. I have tried all formats but impossible!

This time I used a Mac to format the card on both FAT flavours and no luck getting the card to be recognised by the Anafi, and also no option to format the card on IOS, but the format option was available on Android.

Try downloading the SD Card Formatter for Mac, format your cards in that, then format them in the Anafi. Works perfectly for me with my Mac setup using the latest version of this free to use app.

Let us know how you go.

Did try with both versions v4 and v5 (see my edit2 above), but the format card on the Freeflight app is only available on the Android version, not on the IOS..

Try downloading the SD Card Formatter for Mac, format your cards in that, then format them in the Anafi. Works perfectly for me with my Mac setup using the latest version of this free to use app.

Let us know how you go.

Let us know how you go.
Hello,
thank you for your answer.
I have already used this software on my Macbook but I still have the same problem

Did try with both versions v4 and v5 (see my edit2 above), but the format card on the Freeflight app is only available on the Android version, not on the IOS..

View attachment 1451

View attachment 1452
Have you tried on your Mac? I have used it on all the Mac's in our house & it works on them all with no problems at all for the Anafi then being able to reformat them.

Hello,
thank you for your answer.
I have already used this software on my Macbook but I still have the same problem
That is quite peculiar.

Do people from Parrot read this forum? There is really a problem with the iPhone application since the last update. Why can't two new cards, from two different brands (Scandisk, PNY) be formatted from the FF6 application?

• Sad
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Yes, Mojave 10.14.3

Please note that this issue only occurs with 64GB cards (don't have bigger).

On small 8GB and 16GB (like the included one) there are no issues.

Just as a sidenote. Although my Samsung EVO64GB cards are rated as v10 they record full 4k video without any issues on the recorded video with the 100Mb/s bitrate

Have you tried on your Mac? I have used it on all the Mac's in our house & it works on them all with no problems at all for the Anafi then being able to reformat them.

In another forum I read this workaround for formatting SD cards, that didn't want to be formatted in Anafi:

New SD-Card and the FF6-App didn‘t show an option to format.
The solution:
  1. Insert the „old“ card which worked properly.
  2. Open FF6 and go to „galery“/SD-Card
  3. Choose „format“
  4. Now change the SD-Card to the new one and start formatting
  5. done the Anafi recognizes the new Card.

I don't know how this might work (you have to switch Anafi off and remove the battery with the app open ...), but obviously works. I didn't test myself, so no guarantee.

In another forum I read this workaround for formatting SD cards, that didn't want to be formatted in Anafi:

The solution:

• Insert the „old“ card which worked properly.

• Open FF6 and go to „galery“/SD-Card

• Choose „format“

• Now change the SD-Card to the new one and start formatting

• done the Anafi recognizes the new Card.

I don't know how this might work (you have to switch Anafi off and remove the battery with the app open ...), but obviously works. I didn't test myself, so no guarantee.
You are my savior!!!!!

This manipulation works perfectly. I inserted the original 16GB card, I was in the formatting. Then I removed my battery to replace the 16GB card with the 128GB card and the formatting was perfectly successful. Same for my 64GB card.

That's really great, thank you very much.

Do people from Parrot read this forum? There is really a problem with the iPhone application since the last update. Why can't two new cards, from two different brands (Scandisk, PNY) be formatted from the FF6 application?
This forum is not run by Parrot, it is frequented by Parrot users & those investigating the brand as a potential new purchase. The admin here has invited them to come join numerous times, but it seems, to no avail. :(

I'm still intrigued how you can't get it to work for you, when on a diversity of Mac's here it works perfectly using the SD Card tool. :unsure:

This forum is not run by Parrot, it is frequented by Parrot users & those investigating the brand as a potential new purchase. The admin here has invited them to come join numerous times, but it seems, to no avail. :(

I'm still intrigued how you can't get it to work for you, when on a diversity of Mac's here it works perfectly using the SD Card tool. :unsure:
my problem is solved thanks to Dirk_ANAFI's trick :)

it really works, so I imagine that some kind of message/acknoledgment is not received by the iphone app, so it won't proceed to the format screen, but apparently the drone is quite happy to format the card when it gets the correct message :unsure: even surviving the required reboot of the Anafi to do the card "dance" :)

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the tip, it saves some more fumbling around formatting issues....

The solution:

• Insert the „old“ card which worked properly.
    • Open FF6 and go to „galery“/SD-Card
    • Choose „format“
    • Now change the SD-Card to the new one and start formatting
    • done the Anafi recognizes the new Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking