Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Time To Update Your Anafi

I was kind of wondering if it might be the type of phone or tablet you are using. I use both phone and tablet and my tablet can be a pain sometimes.

I normally do not go down to the 10% battery level, but I just was out flying and went down to 9% and all was fine. App still was working fine and did not freeze. Ended up landing with 8%. All Anafi and Freeflight 6 updates applied - running Android 7.0 on my phone.
Interesting. I have a Galaxy Note 4 with Android 6.0.1.
The app was halted (not freezing) at 10% directly after displaying in red "Very low battery RTH".
The effect was reproducable two times.

I recently updated my Anafi and made a testflight.

My first impressions: absolutely great update!

* Bevore, I had GPS-problems (didn´t get gps signal or lost it) - no more problems so far!
* Tested several flight-modi - everyone worked great (dolly zoom seemed to work better in my case also parabol and so on)
* I tested the updated HDR-mode - I think, now it´s usefull! Normal colours and less noise.

It seems, that our Anafi is growing up! :)

Now just waiting for the panorama-modes then I´m perfectly happy!

I wish someone would write a small book on the anafi and walk through on all the features. It's a great drone but I only use the basic flying mode and rth.

Alan

There is now Reset button in Skycontroller 3 screen,thats very good........after update dont forget to reset(soft and hard)Anafi and also reset skycontroller 3 after update
I don't understand. After downloading, updating and installing, they start-up/reset themselves, don't they? Ton

Hi guys, Say, I went out flying today and tried several of the new features of Freeflight 6. Overall, some nice additions. I went to a park adjacent to a sewage treatment plant and tried flying the same path towards the sewage treatment plan, stopping about 300 feet away, and then zooming in to the maximum lossless zoom of 2.9x. I did this for 1080p HDR and 1080p non HDR. When I got home, I played the videos of the two flights and noticed a pretty dramatic falloff in the clarity when using 1080p HDR setting and zooming in to 2.9x Below are the two screenshots from the videos, the top one is from 1080p with the HDR turned off and the bottom one is 1080p with the HDR turned on. You can see the difference in the clarity between the two. Anyone else experience this?
screen-shot-10-26-18-at-07-24-pm-copy-jpg.393
View attachment 396
Oops, that doesn't look good :-/. Did not tried it yet.

I updated the controller and drone yesterday and have flown it twice since. Everything seems smooth and there are no issues that I can see. I haven't had an "SD Card Error" message yet either...but whether that's just dumb luck or they fixed that issue in this update isn't clear to me. Anyone else who has updated seen an SD Card error message yet?

I updated with no issues. Before the updates, I was having the SD Card error also. I reformatted the SD card using the Ananfi reformat command and that seems to have resolved it. No SD card errors in the last 5 flights.

Reactions: ROBANAFI and Ton
I updated the controller and drone yesterday and have flown it twice since. Everything seems smooth and there are no issues that I can see. I haven't had an "SD Card Error" message yet either...but whether that's just dumb luck or they fixed that issue in this update isn't clear to me. Anyone else who has updated seen an SD Card error message yet?

I got the SD Card Error message when I took DNG+jpeg photos faster than they were writing to the card. If I waited until the photo count incremented, then no error. Since it was a repeatable bug, I can easily check to see if they fixed it.

The bug is fixed. Now when I take DNG photos faster than they write to the card, the shutter button (on the app) is disabled until the photo count increments. I did not think to test the shutter button on the controller, but will test it next time.

Last edited:
Updated my Anafi yesterday. Update went well, but first flight I had issues with Fake GPS (lexa) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps) the not releasing the 5ghz channels in Australia.

After 20min of frustration, i switched to a different Fake GPS app - (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incorporateapps.fakegps.fre) and had no issues.. I ended up buying the 3.99 full version of it.

... The Anafi flew great too, no issues. I previously had weird landing behaviour when landing on uneven ground but that has all gone now. Its a good update.

They've added 0 altitude POIs in Flight Plan (still no negative height).

I used a 0 altitude POI today and suffered some serious flight instability during that leg. I didn't have any other POIs set so I'll have to check soon in a safer location if it happens with any other heights.

Hi guys, Say, I went out flying today and tried several of the new features of Freeflight 6. Overall, some nice additions. I went to a park adjacent to a sewage treatment plant and tried flying the same path towards the sewage treatment plan, stopping about 300 feet away, and then zooming in to the maximum lossless zoom of 2.9x. I did this for 1080p HDR and 1080p non HDR. When I got home, I played the videos of the two flights and noticed a pretty dramatic falloff in the clarity when using 1080p HDR setting and zooming in to 2.9x Below are the two screenshots from the videos, the top one is from 1080p with the HDR turned off and the bottom one is 1080p with the HDR turned on. You can see the difference in the clarity between the two. Anyone else experience this?
screen-shot-10-26-18-at-07-24-pm-copy-jpg.393
View attachment 396

I think that the avaliability of zoom in any HDR resolution is a bug, because the way HDR is obtained makes lossless operation impossible with such sensor type em resolution, even in FullHD. It´s possible to implement lossy zoom, that is what you got in this test, just regular zoom with loss of quality. You "Only Lossless zoom" setting was enabled in FF6?

Yes, I had the "lossless zoom only" on in the settings when I ran the tests. I am not a big fan of digital zoom where you start to loose quality as you zoom. Based upon my initial tests, I am not sure that HDR adds a lot to video, so I am not using HDR in video unless I see a high contrast scene which would benefit from the HDR mode and I do not plan on using the zoom feature.

From the new update Parrot had this to say about the improved HDR.

" to simplify the HDR so that the user does not have to manage it. This involves automatically adjusting the ratio between the two exposures. In a photo with a strong disparity of contrast, one uses an extended dynamics. In a well exposed picture, a weak dynamic is used. We also did a lot of work on noise suppression in the images. This allows in particular to eliminate noise when zooming. In video, we use a technique called Motion Compensated Temporal Filtering, which averages between several images to establish a denoising. The result is an HDR that can be activated all the time ! "

"The result is an HDR that can be activated all the time" hmmm..... Well, I guess it is an individual choice. I always thought you use the HDR setting selectively when you had a lot of shadows and light in a particular photo or video - it is supposed to be a way to not loose detail in the shadows or the light areas. I think I will continue to experiment with it in different lighting conditions with the Anafi. I have two DJI drones that have a HDR setting for photos and it seems to work OK in high contrast scenes, although the key to me is getting the right exposure and white balance. HDR seems to work better for me in post on RAW photos as you have a lot more to work with than jpeg. Just a personal opinion. I am just glad that Parrot is improving the software and adding new features that you can experiment with. Really looking forward to the Pano mode that will be coming in November as I tend use my drones for both photos and videos - about 50/50.

I would hope that some of the reviewers that put out somewhat negative reviews in early July revisit the Anafi given the significant upgrade to the Freeflight 6 app, the change in the price and the new bundle packaging with the Anafi Extended. In my opinion, you now get a lot for your money - the Anafi has matured significantly in three months. They may have a whole new take on the Anafi. My hope that Parrot will continue to develop the software and add features - also, lower the price of extra batteries - $99 is pretty steep - $69 would be a much better price point.

This was my wobbly flight from yesterday (problem starts at 1:30). I now think it's just the video stabilisation being deactivated. And it does seem to only happen on 0 altitude POIs.

but you stopped the video, turned the drone toward the pier and took a picture? then started a video again and the drone seemed stable again. is it perhaps a problem with the gimbal on your drone being buffeted by wind from the front?

I was flying yesterday. in video mode it was smooth (stabilised) but the moment I switched modes to take a photo, the camera was all over the place - unstabilised.. weird. I thought both video and camera modes were stabilised???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking