Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Now my turn to drop from the sky! At last.

Very strange, all very random. I have two Anafi's. Both have taken all updates and not one problem on either one. Not saying something down the road might happen but so far both have performed as they should. This is why I say this is all very random. If there was a problem with firmware updates or software these things would be dropping like turkeys trying to fly from a helicopter.

YES! WKRP with Les Nessman and the Hog Report!!!!Probably the best laugh ever in that series.Feeling old now.But thanks for the flashback.

Reactions: MarPoll
Yesterday, I sent the standard requested email with all the questions answered to Parrot Support Japan. Included was the FDR folder etc.
Talked with them, on the phone today, after the seemingly standard re-asking of all the questions that were already in the email, they pointed out that my Anafi was no longer under guarantee.
I pressed the point that the sudden drop might be due to the software. They said that there had been such problems, but that had been fixed in the latest updates. What version was I using? I told them that I was using the latest. There was a long silence at the other end . . . then they said that they would forward the FDR folder to France for a detailed study. It would take about 3 weeks until they got a verdict back.
I am not expecting there to be any reply from France suggesting I get a new Anafi. In fact I am so sure of that, that I already ordered a new Anafi.
I am hoping that my "drop" was due to some problem completely unconnected with the software, so that you can all relax and continue flying safely.
Regards
Douglas

....these things would be dropping like turkeys trying to fly from a helicopter.
It reminds me when I was flying single engine little airplanes. Some friends did a bet at the bar (it was a late Saturday pilots bar) : does a chicken fly ?
So the day after around noon, we gathered near the runway and the guys were flying a Jodel (French wooden airplane dating 1950-60) with a live chicken. They got on board with the chicken and climbed 1000ft above surface and thrown the chicken from the slinding door.
Now we know for sure, chicken can’t fly. The result was not even good to cook !

Today, exactly 21 days after providing all the infor that Japan support wanted to send on to France, the decision arrived.
As I expected - sorry, your drone was well outside of the guarantee period.
In fact I had already bought a new Anafi, about 2 weeks ago, as I had expected this reply.

I was so nervous when I made my first flight with the new Anafi that I took off, flew a short distance over a field, flew back and landed. Flight time 52 seconds!
Over the following days I have become more daring.
I had updated the new new Anafi to the latest firmware etc.
I am not completely relaxed and confident flying it yet, but so far it has been stable and responsive - no dropping from the skies.
I hope it continues to fly well and that I regain my confidence in Anafi again.
Regards
Douglas

Glad you are back up and running Douglas, just a pity that Parrot wouldn't take into consideration all the issues they had caused with duff firmware.

On the plus side, you should be able to make your money back on stripping it for spares. Cant remember of part work the same as DJI where the Gimbal is married to the motherboard, so selling one without the other would be a problem.

Today, exactly 21 days after providing all the infor that Japan support wanted to send on to France, the decision arrived.
As I expected - sorry, your drone was well outside of the guarantee period.
In fact I had already bought a new Anafi, about 2 weeks ago, as I had expected this reply.

I was so nervous when I made my first flight with the new Anafi that I took off, flew a short distance over a field, flew back and landed. Flight time 52 seconds!
Over the following days I have become more daring.
I had updated the new new Anafi to the latest firmware etc.
I am not completely relaxed and confident flying it yet, but so far it has been stable and responsive - no dropping from the skies.
I hope it continues to fly well and that I regain my confidence in Anafi again.
Regards
Douglas

So we all were hoping they would have at least given you a explanation Douglas as to why it dropped. I would have pushed them for more information so you could avoid it happening again if it was something you or we are doing wrong but then they would have to admit it was their fault for bad hardware or software.

So we all were hoping they would have at least given you a explanation Douglas as to why it dropped. I would have pushed them for more information so you could avoid it happening again if it was something you or we are doing wrong but then they would have to admit it was their fault for bad hardware or software.
I’m still waiting for a verdict from Parrot HQ on my Anafi, which dropped from the sky in early April. I had it about six weeks past the one year mark when the incident occurred. Interestingly, phone support did confirm that it was caused by the firmware but they do not have the authorization to resolve the case because it was out of warranty. Still hoping for the best outcome but feeling less hopeful the longer this drags on.

" Interestingly, phone support did confirm that it was caused by the firmware but they do not have the authorization to resolve the case because it was out of warranty. "
We screwed up our product we sold to you,and we know we did.But we take no responsibility for our actions.Does anyone else see a problem with this?

[...]
They got on board with the chicken and climbed 1000ft above surface and thrown the chicken from the slinding door.
Now we know for sure, chicken can’t fly. The result was not even good to cook !

I think, it was just exhaustet, not used to fly, they pushed it a bit too much!
Because the first 999 ft it did well, didn't it?
:devilish:

Reactions: MustangPhil
Agustine,
I am going to send a request via Japanese support to Parrot, France asking them for some diagnosis of the sudden drop. I knew it was out of guarantee - I did not need to send all the info they wanted, only to be told it was out of guarantee.
I'll post here, if there are any further developments.
Regards
Douglas

Sorry for taking so long to respond, Agustine
A lot happened since then.
I started to enquire if there was any information about why it had dropped, but gave up the idea when I heard I would have to try to contact France directly.
Instead I bought a new Anafi and started flying again.
After about 4 or 5 fights I began to notice occasional error messages about the camera being blocked! After a recallibration of the camera all went well for a short time.
Then on the 28th of June I was flying over some rice fields and saw the picture begin to shake around and the message, “Vertical camera failure. Please contact Parrot customer service“.
Started to fly back (was about 100 metres away) and got a message that the Anafi was going to do an automatic landing!?
My wife and I had it in our line of sight and instead of seeing it land automatically 100m away, saw it drop like a stone from 9 or 10 metres height.
Luckily it somehow landed on the narrow strip of muddy grass bank between the flooded rice fields.
But the front right leg was broken.
Call to Parrot Japan later that day.
Sent all the info and FDR file to them, which they sent on to France.
Today, I got the news that I should return to damaged Anafi and a new one would be sent immediately the Japan office received it.
Not too bad - 9 days to get back to me with a positive message that the guarantee would be honoured.
Looking forward to trying out Anafi No.4!
I'll attach some pictures of the final hour for Anafi No.3
Regards
Douglas

Final Flight and crash.jpg Final flight path. Fell behind the greenhouses on the muddy grass strip at the edge of the field.Front Right leg c.jpg Front right leg, broken and filled with mud.

Also a short sequence showing the camera gimbal movement on final flight Crazy Gimbal
and the final 11 seconds before dropping onto the muddy grass strip Over the DROP zone

• Wow
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
That is very bad luck Douglas. I am glad that Parrot are replacing the Anafi for you. You were very lucky that the Anafi did not crash on one of the glasshouses.

Did you fly an old battery from bird no.3?
I have 6 batteries, bought at various times. The older ones I keep, but do not use them for flights. I use them when practising e.g. how to set the AE controls etc. (at that time I am not flying, just have the Anafi sitting on a flat surface)
The battery in place for the crash flight was actually the newest one I have.

Doesn't sound good!
updated to latest, bird and battery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian