Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot Anafi 2 - 30th June---Anafi USA livestream €7.000 / $7.000

More I think about this (Not sure if this is the correct saying for this situation)but - A Swing and a Miss by Parrot!

I think the whole branding of the unit and marketing backing IT will shrink the pool of buyers greatly.

However, I still think they will be launching Anafi consumer 2 later this year or early next, so it meets the new CE UAV categories. It will probably be based of this model and come in just under 500grams weight and be in the C1 Class category.

More I think about this (Not sure if this is the correct saying for this situation)but - A Swing and a Miss by Parrot!

I think the whole branding of the unit and marketing backing IT will shrink the pool of buyers greatly.

However, I still think they will be launching Anafi consumer 2 later this year or early next, so it meets the new CE UAV categories. It will probably be based of this model and come in just under 500grams weight and be in the C1 Class category.
I agree with you that an Anafi consumer 2 is likely in the works but Parrot is going for the lucrative US government sales while the market is there. From what I read, the federal market for drones is now limited to non-Chinese drones with all current Chinese drones grounded by the current administration (I guess because searching for lost people or monitoring fires is a national security issue????). $7k for those agencies for a drone or two per field office is something they have in their budgets and you can bet their field offices want to play with their drones.

Is is great for us consumers? No but companies seek to make profits and often selling to the mass markets is a tough place to do that.

Having a military contract from the US and probably the EU being interested also for their military was a very smart choice for Parrot. That alone even with out the enterprise edition will pay the bills at Parrot for a good number of years. Adding to that the same high-end security, durability and imaging capabilities as Parrot’s Short-Range Reconnaissance (SRR) drone designed for the US Army will increase their chances to stay afloat in the UAV industry. I really don't think you will see a "prosumer Anafi USA" for some time if ever. If it was in the works Henri Seydoux the CEO would have said so when he was asked about a prosumer version in the question and answer period of the launch.

Reactions: d95gas
I think parrot mentioned they were getting out of the consumer market quite awhile ago.
They did, think that was around 18months ago. Then they proceeded to bring out 2 new Anafi versions :)

I think there are a few unhappy people whose opinion of Parrot has changed after the statements made by their CEO against DJI, wouldn't be surprised if DJI lawyers will have a come back on various statements.

Time to start looking at other options :) I am just looking at the Evo II Pro (6k), which even in the UK with CE mode has incredible distance, and low light pics are awesome.

Reactions: MustangPhil
This was the best choice; in the 50minute YouTube interview the boss states that they developed the military version, and were allowed to “downgrade” it into the USA version and sell that commercially.
Anafi USA is just a little extra from that perspective. Consumer drones are about to die with all the requirements and regulations. It is also saturated more that the action cam market was at its highest. So to continue onto that makes not so much sense. Chines drones will always be cheaper

Well hope this works for them - company looks like a slow motion train wreck.

Last years revenue was down around 45%, and on top of that they are spending 50% of that (declining) revenue on R&D. There was also a large drop in revenue from 2018 to 19.

2020 1st QTR results show revenue at around US$ 14M which is down 25% vs. previous year, and that does not even include the Apr-Jul peak COVID19 slowdown, so the 1H 2020 figures will be interesting.

Parrot are just too small to be spending so much on R&D for such a small buyer pool that they are chasing. Even that 1st QTR report also states they are using an US Based EMS for Anafi USA & Military manufacturing - so what kind of margin are they even making selling at US$7K !

If the market they are targeting is so lucrative then the established players of US MIC (Boeing, Lockheed, BAE) would be all over it and if necessary taken Parrot out already.

Time to start looking at other options :) I am just looking at the Evo II Pro (6k), which even in the UK with CE mode has incredible distance, and low light pics are awesome.

It's a shame though that you can't point the camera above the horizon. I'd miss that a lot.

Parrot makes really good drones,it is the firmware updates that killed company’s reputation.....when you se reviews that start with “it was great and then just dropped down after update “who would invest in such product...just the fact that half anafi members in forum still uses old 163 firmware tells you all you need to know,there is no trust .

It's a shame though that you can't point the camera above the horizon. I'd miss that a lot.

I’m also interested by the EVO II Pro 6K, and have the same concern about the 90° tilt...
The Anafi is perfect for my needs, if only they could use this ‘big tilting head with 3 cameras’ and keep only one lens with a 1 inch sensor onboard...

Henri Seydoux explained the high cost of the Anafi USA was mainly due to the infrared Flir camera (that very few need in the survey field and photogrammetry business).

I was yesterday with 2 Anafis (and 6 batteries), working on the 3D reconstruction of a factory roof... flys perfectly, perfect images, silent, lightweight... and NoFlyZones not bothering me (I was 300 m from a jailhouse and in a town with an hospital helicopter Base, flew low enough to respect the rules, but didn’t feel like explaining my business to a Chinese / government owned company).

I had to shoot pictures from underneath a support structure made of tubes from ‘under the roof level’... this is only possible with the Anafi !

... So if they could make an ANAFI ECO version of the ANAFI USA... I’ll be a customer ! (But I’m afraid it’s not enough for them ...)

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI and jspg
... at least, there are 2 or 3 others here that would like this set of specs ...

The gimbal frame for the prototype and pre-series were made of aluminum. My guess was, if they intend to make wider series, that they would make it in a moulded plastic/carbon fiber... and that’s what they did.

... so please Parrot... to increase sales and include us in your business plan... could you produce the ANAFI 2 ‘Big Head’ with a nice lens, the same body and battery and gimbal frame as the Anafi USA, but with a nice lens, a 1 inch sensor and the same FF6 software.
It would not be a ‘consumer product’ but would fall in a range between the Autel Evo 2 and the Mavic 3 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro.
... and if you could include an Independent switch that would cut the motors and so make it compatible with the STS02 scenario for the EU new rules, well... that would be a nice move !

I’m also interested by the EVO II Pro 6K, and have the same concern about the 90° tilt...
The Anafi is perfect for my needs, if only they could use this ‘big tilting head with 3 cameras’ and keep only one lens with a 1 inch sensor onboard...

Henri Seydoux explained the high cost of the Anafi USA was mainly due to the infrared Flir camera (that very few need in the survey field and photogrammetry business).

I was yesterday with 2 Anafis (and 6 batteries), working on the 3D reconstruction of a factory roof... flys perfectly, perfect images, silent, lightweight... and NoFlyZones not bothering me (I was 300 m from a jailhouse and in a town with an hospital helicopter Base, flew low enough to respect the rules, but didn’t feel like explaining my business to a Chinese / government owned company).

I had to shoot pictures from underneath a support structure made of tubes from ‘under the roof level’... this is only possible with the Anafi !

... So if they could make an ANAFI ECO version of the ANAFI USA... I’ll be a customer ! (But I’m afraid it’s not enough for them ...)

I believe the main image sensor is the same as the one on the Anafi.
You would be getting a single digit increase in flight minutes, and you would need to buy new batteries.
The 250 degree gimbal (as opposed to 180 on the Anafi) could be considered a plus. Also the vertical speed is 6 instead of 4m/s

But aside from that, it is the Anafi 2018

The Anafi 2018 is already a good designed drone of it's still and video image quality, and with the competed price among the similar products, for the coming Anafi 2 ( if there is?) I think to do more improvements in the software is better than the hardware amendment, (look the Tesler has succeeded with their electronic cars), but the battery can be a target to increase the flight time say around half an hour, Anafi 2 should aim at the market with more consumers who can afford and enjoy the drone flying or even for simple drone assignments.

It is easier to earn 100 dollars (low price level) for selling 100 drones than sell one drone for it.

The solution would be:
-Anafi XL: larger battery can be fitted on old Anafi for 30+ minutes
-Anafi Mini: smaller battery 10 minutes flight time but below 249 gram

They should sell the batteries so that everybody can upgrade/downgrade their Anafi based on their needs!

Last few days i am reading more and more articles about new Parrot Anafi and all of them are very positive compared to all the crap they wrote when our anafi came out...i remember when The Verge had their dji boy Mr.Pavic write review about anafi and how he trough the whole review compared anafi to mavic even thoug anafi is different weight class(mavic is heavier by 400 gram) and has different features....verge scored anafi very low and few others did the same thing ...lots of people complained and verge stated that they sticking to their review...since then i stopped reading their crap...this time,if the sale of new anfi goes well and if they get few more contracts i am sure they will come up with something new in consumer field...i am saying this because since my first parrot bebop2 in 2016 ,this is something i read or hear at least once a year,they going out of business,they not gonna make any new drones and then every 1.5 years later something new comes out.....so i am goona putt that money i saved aside and wait another 1-1.5 years till something new afordable comes out with parrot name on it

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Last few days i am reading more and more articles about new Parrot Anafi and all of them are very positive compared to all the crap they wrote when our anafi came out...i remember when The Verge had their dji boy Mr.Pavic write review about anafi and how he trough the whole review compared anafi to mavic even thoug anafi is different weight class(mavic is heavier by 400 gram) and has different features....verge scored anafi very low and few others did the same thing ...lots of people complained and verge stated that they sticking to their review...since then i stopped reading their crap...this time,if the sale of new anfi goes well and if they get few more contracts i am sure they will come up with something new in consumer field...i am saying this because since my first parrot bebop2 in 2016 ,this is something i read or hear at least once a year,they going out of business,they not gonna make any new drones and then every 1.5 years later something new comes out.....so i am goona putt that money i saved aside and wait another 1-1.5 years till something new afordable comes out with parrot name on it

I would be right behind you my friend if and only if they improve customer service. Until then I am looking elsewhere for my next UAV.

I dont blame customer service,parrot has ongoing problem for years,they stopped testing firmware properly,it gets uploaded to web and Then they sit and wait to see what will happen.....4 years ago you could call parrot and say hey i just lost my drone for no reason whatsoever and they would send you new drone...then theychanged to send us back broken drone and we will send you new drone to we need all the logs,broken drone etc......i think there is serious problem in managment from day one,.....i remember reading abut group of people that was testing every new firmware before it was released to web,they combed trough all or most issues before firmware was released then they stoped doing it,that was like 5 years ago,since then i would say 80 % of issues parrot drones had it was caused by firmware updates.....parrot makes good drones,my bebop 2 and skycontroller 2 are both moded,last update was perfect,now i am waiting for Skycontroller 3 mod and then ill be spending more time with my anafi,I am also not updating anafi,skycontroller 3 ,batterys or freeflight 6,this is it for me.

Anafi is a solid little drone, no problem with the hardware. With look up capability, zoom, 350 grams, good camera, quiet.... it was well ahead of the competition. I still use my Anafi a lot but as stated by others the firmware is a mixed bag. My Anafi now does the altitude dance in Follow mode which it did not do before.

I would be happy with stable firmware at this point. I must say the OA on my S2 has spoiled me but because of that same OA I cannot fly low, far... and get the shots I want, hence I use Anafi.

I would buy Anafi 2 Consumer if it had a significant advantage. My current Anafi fly's long enough, camera is good enough; it really is the perfect little drone for me if Parrot would handle the firmware. If A2 had decent OA or intelligent tracking(they are in partner with Skydio?) and a realistic price it would be a no brainer for me to buy it.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame